Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Good and Bad from US Trials

Originally posted by Dave
    Any guesses whose mark will be improved first? Felix's or Eaton's?

I think considering the conditions Eaton competed in, especially Day 1, there's not much doubt it will be him. All the stars aligned for Felix in that 200, from competition, to pre-race hype, to every aspect of the weather.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Nothing tops Eaton. I can't quite comprehend that guy's talent. Still have the feeling there is much more to come.
      Other than that, Merritt, Felix and Brittney Reese.

Comment

For the good, I would say that up and down this year's team is way better than the '08 team. The female sprint teams are way stronger than '08. Horizontal jumps and high jump are immensely better than '08 for both women and men. (OK, wTJ still sucks). Men's distance team is superior and the women's middle distances are deeper. Men's 400h is down, but they didn't exactly light it up at the '08 trials either. Women's long distance is weaker, but that's because the marathon team got better. Throws are generally a little better for both men and women. There will almost certainly be gold and silver in the decathlon as opposed to gold in Beijing. The heptathlon team is better overall, but I think a medal this time is a long shot.

For the bad, the weather was tough at times for the athletes and fans (especially in Section U and for the outside festival). Also, Bryan Clay is my favortite US athlete, so that was a massive disappointment. Dix reinjuring the hammy was also a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by HopStepJump
          (OK, wTJ still sucks).
          And even the wTJ is now "surrounded" by mTJ and wLJ that are both looking great.

Comment

Angelo Taylor has to be one of the hightlights of the Trials even though he didn't win! I always thought Al Oerter was amazing , but Taylor is perhaps his equal in some ways (obviously he can't win 4 individual golds) given the circumstances! :shock: Congrats to a truly great athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by FredM
              Where are the young sprinters?
              Your answer here: www.nfl.com

Aside from that, we shouldn't fret about the mens 400H. Anderson was hurt, Taylor hit a hurdle, Batman had a bad race. That was a perfect storm of crap happening. Next year we could be back to sweeping worlds.

Comment

Men's 400h isn't that bad. There are chances for medals as the event is weak.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Taylor medaled again!

Comment

Originally posted by optimistic

Most Encouraging - The distance events (men and women). I can't pick one, but I am encouraged by our distance running teams. For the first time, I expect several of them to make the final. We may even sneak away with more than one medal in the 800-10000. I like how Rupp didn't settle for making the team and took down Lagat. Distance running takes guts and I am starting to see guts.

The Bad
                    -Men's long jump
                    Nice recap! I Just have some adjustments.

Although, I'm happy with the improvements the distance teams are making, I won't be surprised if only Rupp in the 10k is the only medal. Symmonds is being too distracted of late and hasn't shown the Borz'esque type finish ( I think the lack off USA competition actually hurts him). Uceny should medal, but I'm expecting sub 3:59 to medal, will she be able to do that? Simpson will be lucky to be in the final. Men's 1500 was the worst, don't expect to see any of them in the final. Men's 5k team is probably the best, but what type of race will it be? (Hopefully, a medal or two could come from them, but the 5k is such a tough event)

Jagar and Colburn (steeple) will rep us well, but a medal will be a historic shocker.

I almost forgot Montano (w800) if she runs well and smart (don't try too lead, please) there is a chance for her to medal. So, if we get 3 medals I'll be estatic.

As for the comment about the LJ, its way off base. The distance may not have met with expectations, but the team is solid and medal oppurtunities are there. (much more then some of the distance teams.) I have to believe based on the TJ that the weather had something to do with the poor LJ.

Comment

Reese Hoffa 22m

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                        Originally posted by Dave
                        Any guesses whose mark will be improved first? Felix's or Eaton's?

I think considering the conditions Eaton competed in, especially Day 1, there's not much doubt it will be him. All the stars aligned for Felix in that 200, from competition, to pre-race hype, to every aspect of the weather.
                        I am not suggesting that Felix's accomplishment was better than Eaton. Yet, how ridiculous it is to suggest that the 21.69 was due to the stars aligning for Felix. That is a pretty silly comment. :shock:

Comment

Working...
                        X