Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes compete for MONEY!

John Feinstein, writing for AOL.com sports (?!), says, "The simple fact is this: the Olympics have lost their romance." And the reason is: athletes are now competing for MONEY!! Whodathunk? I think Mr. Feinstein has lost HIS mojo, because he writes for MONEY (gasp!). How quaint - Olympic athletes should do it for free, while everyone else (esp. Mr. Feinstein) is making money off of them. Where do we get these people?

Re: Athletes compete for MONEY!

Shocking!
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Maybe the media-dopes will stop trying to make love to the Olympics and cover them for what they are, athletic competition, not a romance novel.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that almost all athletes that medal in the Olympics will be handsomely rewarded in cash and many other benefits.

There won't be a single American medalist that doesn't benefit in total by more than 100 thousand dollars (and that's on the low end), unless they do something squirrely to blow their opportunity to cash in on what is often a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

That guy must be completely out to lunch. In case he's been Rip Van Winkleing for a long time, the Olympics have been ALL about money for a LONG time, pal.

Comment

I haven't read the article, but I do have the utmost respect for John Feinstein as a writer. He knows more about the Olympics than most of us. He is also one of the few writers who seems to "get" the Olympics.
          Is it possible he was saying that money was the primary motivation for many Olympic athletes today? If that is the case, I think you guys might be over-reacting. He may be on to something. And just because Mr. Feinstein is compensated for his terrific writing, that doesn't mean it is his motivation to write. God bless the man or woman who can make a living doing what they love.

Comment

Living in New Zealand has taught me that there are many people in the minor sports who are true amateurs, who want to go to the Olympics for the pleasure and satisfaction it gives them from having trained and trained to get there. People down here have quit their jobs to train this year and have fundraised their butts off through the local charitable trusts in order to survive.
            And even the track athletes will not be cashing in huge if they medal. We have Baetrice Faumuina, Craig Barrett and Valery Adams as our real contenders and trust me they do not live the high life of a pro athlete.

Comment

"And just because Mr. Feinstein is compensated for his terrific writing, that doesn't mean it is his motivation to write."

So why can't athletes compete for the love of it AND be paid. He's a hypocrite in any case.

Comment

>I haven't read the article, but I do have the utmost respect for John Feinstein
                >as a writer. He knows more about the Olympics than most of us.>>

Oh, really? His body of Olympic work includes what?

Comment

>>I haven't read the article, but I do have the utmost respect for John Feinstein as a writer. He knows more about the Olympics than most of
                  us.>>

Oh, really? His body of Olympic work includes what?

For those of you that care, I heard that John Feinstein will be a guest host for Jim Rome sometime next week. This may be a good forum to grill him, and to get some T&F talk over the airwaves.

Comment

Yes, we should go back to the good 'ol days when only rich Brits and American collegians could compete for gold medals! :-)

Comment

I am amazed that the "amateur spirit" ca. 1896 is still twitching these days. In reality, of course, 99.999% of all athletics is completely amateur. The top .001% get paid because there is a market for their skills. Who in the world could be against that? It doesn't take a Karl Marx to tell that the "good old days" of amateurism were the days of class chauvinism and segregation.

Comment

Working...
                      X