'Certified Automatic Timing' question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Certified Automatic Timing' question

The preliminaries for a district high school meet were held in Central Ohio last night. As a psuedo-historian, I was contacted by a coach asking about the following timing system. The timing was called certified automatic, but is not accutrack or lynx. It consists of a videotape of the race with a clock on the tape. A spotting scope at the finish line picks up the flash of the gun to start the clock. It tended to give relatively fast times all evening. All times were recorded as 0 in the thousands place and 1,2,3.... were added to distinguish place. For example the 100 times were 1):10.60 2):10.60 3):10.61 4):10.65. The time in question is third. He was hand timed by three different coaches in :10.62, :10.66, & :10.71. His school has a 64 year old hand timed school record of :10.7. From anyone with experience with this timing system, should this be deemed a school record and if so, at what time? My hopes are that the young man runs sub :10.7 next week when accutrack will be used. My initial thought is that it is a record, but I do not know how to place the time. I am using the theory that we do not know anything about the hand timing used in the previous record either, so hand time could/should be accepted. Those with experience, please give feedback.

Re: 'Certified Automatic Timing' question

Sounds like you are talking about a Pyro Bright Timing System - seen used a some big college meets - never seemed to make me run any faster than my normal slow time - does not interface with meet management software such as Hytec -

Comment

must be Pyro Bright. Special shells are put in the starting gun that emit a bright flash and a spotting scope is used that picks it up and starts the clock on a video tape. The officials then go back and watch the video to determine time and places.

Comment

Thanks! Does anyone have experience with the reliability of times and the explanation of everyt time's thousandth's place ending in 0? Officials? Meet managers?

Comment

If the system uses a regular (NTSC) video camera, those run at 30 frames per second. Timing to the 100th would not be possible and you'd have to round those times up to the next-highest 10th.

>Thanks! Does anyone have experience with the reliability of times and the
          >explanation of everyt time's thousandth's place ending in 0? Officials? Meet
          >managers?

Track & Field News Weekly Roundup

Top homepage posts for the week ending 05/29/2019:

Excerpts:

NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas

THE EBB & FLOW of the battle for the NCAA women’s team title this year has been fascinating. Chart 1:... Read More

The post NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over

IN OUR FIRST chart of the year, Florida was an 8-point favorite over SEC rival LSU for the team title.... Read More

The post 2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT

GÖTZIS, AUSTRIA, May 25-26—Damian Warner made history by becoming only the third athlete to win 5 times at Götzis, while... Read More

The post Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team

GULF SHORES, Alabama, May 23-25—The University of British Columbia (UBC) only won 3 events—the 5000, walk and hammer—on the men’s... Read More

The post NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF

“I’M STILL IN THE WHIRLWIND,” says Kenny Bednarek. Ever since the Indian Hills frosh led off his mind-boggling 19.82/44.73 double... Read More

The post Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil

MAY 13 brought the sad news of the passing of one of the sport’s truly larger-than-life figures, T&FN’s longtime European... Read More

The post RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Comment

Thanks for the help to those that responded. I'm bumping this back up looking for those with experience with this pyro-bright timing. In the scenario I gave in the original post, the guys came back in the final with FAT and ran 11.1's and 11.2's. The kid in question broke a school record from 1940, but the timing is obviously questionable. Anyone?

Comment

Working...
            X