Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska long jump trivia

from story on front page I learn somethign I didn't know, which is that Janay DeLoach went to HS in Alaska.

Which raises the question, how many of the XY persuasion who went to high school way up north have broken 23-feet?

Re: Alaska long jump trivia

Considering the boys' state meet record is 23-0, I would guess -- not many!

Comment

I went to jr high and one year of HS in Anchorage. There is track, but a short season. And XC of course.

It's REALLY rare for an Alaska HS track or field athlete to do well enough to get a college scholarship in the "lower 48".
      The last I remember was Don Clary... is that right? I seem to remember Don as being from Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Treadway
        I went to jr high and one year of HS in Anchorage. There is track, but a short season. And XC of course.

It's REALLY rare for an Alaska HS track or field athlete to do well enough to get a college scholarship in the "lower 48".
        The last I remember was Don Clary... is that right? I seem to remember Don as being from Alaska.
        Trevor Dunbar is a native Alaskan, from Kodiak.
        He's now at Oregon, but began at a Portland area college.
        Don't know if he initially was on scholarship, or is now at UO.

As a big fan of Sarah Palin (Don't shoot me!! ), I know she ran both track and cross country in high school in the early 80's.
        And runs almost every day she's home in Alaska, no matter if the weather is 30 below or 80 above!! Runs 5-10 miles a day, and ran a marathon (Humpy's) in 2005 at age 41 in 3:59:36, and last September 4th, in Iowa, ran a half-marathon in 1:46:10, taking 2nd in her age group, at age 47!!

BTW, it's mainly about basketball (Sarah Heath--Palin was a star point guard in HS, and her team, the Wasilla Warriors, won the 1982 State Championship), but a
        FANTASTIC book covering that 1981-1982 season IN DETAIL was written by Texan Mike Shropshire, and is titled "Sarah Palin and the Wasilla Warriors".

I highly recommend it not only for its complete game-by-game coverage of that season, but for its description of high school sports in general across the entire state.

And yes, track and cross country DO get a mention!!

Comment

Dunbar was a high-level recruit out of Alaska and I would be absolutely stunned if he was not on a full ride (Portland State mainly does XC/distance so they would not be too constrained and they have pretty good teams).

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Treadway
            It's REALLY rare for an Alaska HS track or field athlete to do well enough to get a college scholarship in the "lower 48". The last I remember was Don Clary ('75)... is that right? I seem to remember Don as being from Alaska.
            Anchorage native and Bartlett HS grad ('08) Jordan Clarke has won multiple NCAA shot put championships (2012 double) for Arizona State and has a PB of 20.86m (68'5").

Comment

Working...
            X