Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to watch.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to watch.

    events live? It's 4:00 am (CST - my time) Just wondering how everyone was planning on following track & field.

  • #2
    Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

    I will be.

    Not counting on anything to view in the US but I'm assuming there will be live results.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

      Originally posted by dbirds
      events live? It's 4:00 am (CST - my time) Just wondering how everyone was planning on following track & field.
      I may sleep in all the way until 4:30 :wink:

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

        Originally posted by donley2
        Originally posted by dbirds
        events live? It's 4:00 am (CST - my time) Just wondering how everyone was planning on following track & field.
        I may sleep in all the way until 4:30 :wink:
        if, as I read here, events are instantly archived, why bother? They'll be there when you get up at a CIVILIZED hour.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

          If the instant archiving is indeed true, then I will probably sleep in until a civilized hour on the weekends, but I plan to work roughly 1/2 time next week, so the insane sleeping schedule will be required to watch 8+ hours of live track and go to work a bit also.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

            Originally posted by donley2
            If the instant archiving is indeed true, then I will probably sleep in until a civilized hour on the weekends, but I plan to work roughly 1/2 time next week, so the insane sleeping schedule will be required to watch 8+ hours of live track and go to work a bit also.
            I LIKE your priorities, sir!
            Now - on to the most important part of the Games, kicking your scrawny butt in the contests! :twisted:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

              Work? What is this thing you call work? I discovered awhile ago that the adage "by the time you can sleep as late as you want, you can't" is true. I wake up circa 6AM most days. The cat helps a bit, but mostly, I beat her out of bed. I will see what will be shown. We don't watch much TV, so don't have any premium channels, but if I can find something, I will watch. Otherwise, hit the results on the net. Boy, do I miss triplecast

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                I will, is that cheating? :wink:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                  2:00 am Pacific, I will be there ! Qualifying for the Men's Shot @ 2, and the start of the Women's [email protected] 2:05, each with some significant Maple Leafers . I've been gradually trying to change time zones, but have a long way to go yet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                    RT - My experience with "instant archiving" has not been as you state.

                    NBC has identified swimming, gymnastics, and track and field (and maybe one other, I forget) as "marquee" sports meaning that they will be featured on the "prime time" show (even though lightly covered). While they are all available as live broadcasts on nbcolympics.com, instead of going into instant-archive mode upon completion, they are marked as "concluded" and are not available until that/those events have been covered on the prime time. You can not watch the archived offerings until Bob Costas has had his way with them. So, despite the fact that they'll likely show only 3 or 4 jumps in the pole vault, you'll have to wait until the next morning to watch the whole event. Since they'll likely cover pretty much all events in like manner, you can bet that pretty much everything will be unavailable until the morning after. I'll bet the walks will go into instant archive, however.

                    This was the case with gymnastics as even the events from Saturday and Sunday were not available until they had been shown during prime time. They are all available today, but they were still marked as "concluded" all day yesterday.

                    Thankfully, all other sports that I care to watch, rowing, badminton, table tennis, and weight lifting are all instantly available after the live broadcast (at least so far), so I'll only have to interrupt my sleep patterns for track and field. It'll be worth it if for no other reason than I won't have to endure Bob Costas and all the "up close and stinko" stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                      5am? NO WAY!











                      I will be up at 2am PST.....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                        Originally posted by slowjo
                        I will be up at 2am PST.....
                        I'll be up at 2am PDT!
                        Unfortunately I don't have Bell satellite TV service. They are apparently streaming events live and uninterrupted on 5 channels in HD. There is no commentary but what the hey...that might be a good thing.

                        cman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                          Originally posted by Honusonthesound
                          RT - My experience with "instant archiving" has not been as you state.

                          NBC has identified swimming, gymnastics, and track and field (and maybe one other, I forget) as "marquee" sports meaning that they will be featured on the "prime time" show (even though lightly covered). While they are all available as live broadcasts on nbcolympics.com, instead of going into instant-archive mode upon completion, they are marked as "concluded" and are not available until that/those events have been covered on the prime time. You can not watch the archived offerings until Bob Costas has had his way with them. So, despite the fact that they'll likely show only 3 or 4 jumps in the pole vault, you'll have to wait until the next morning to watch the whole event. Since they'll likely cover pretty much all events in like manner, you can bet that pretty much everything will be unavailable until the morning after. I'll bet the walks will go into instant archive, however.
                          This might be true of the swimming finals, but the swimming heats from this morning are available to watch now. Yesterday's finals are also available to watch, but maybe they weren't until they aired in primetime like Honusonthesound is suggesting. I'll try to remember to check back after today's finals are concluded and see if they are available to watch.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                            Originally posted by mike renfro
                            We don't watch much TV, so don't have any premium channels, but if I can find something, I will watch. Otherwise, hit the results on the net. Boy, do I miss triplecast
                            Mike, doesn't your TV service include MSNBC and CNBC? Those are not exactly "premium" channels. If it does, you can watch live streaming at NBCOlympics.com.
                            Cheers,
                            Alan

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Who will be waking up at 5:00 am EST beginning Fri to wa

                              I'm watching via the BBC, which allows you to back up to any point earlier in the broadcast. So it's tempting to wake at a normal hour. But how can I earn the big bucks TaFNews pays me to do decathlon commentary unless I'm watching live? (Note that the decathlon 110 hurdles are at 4am Eastern . . .)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X