Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Felix being candid

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/b ... st-me.html

I thought this deserved its own thread, the Tarmoh thread having run its course, but maybe I'm wrong.

This is the kind of competitor I'd like to see in the USA uniform, or in any uniform. I'm glad she did not give up the potential spot in the 100.

Re: Felix being candid

Originally posted by DrJay
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/blog=olympic-talk/post/allyson-felix-olympics-about-more-than-just-me.html
    Interesting

“I think everybody just expected me to give up the spot because lots of people know me and I am seen as this very nice girl,. . . But this is not just about me. This is about Bobby and the time he has invested in me. It is about my parents and the sacrifices they made. It’s about my brother and the agents working with me.
    “I had a conversation with Jackie (Joyner-Kersee) when everything was going on. She just looked at me and said, ‘You can’t give this up. You’ve worked too hard.’ We both deserved it. We both deserved to fight for it, and for me that was what it was all about.”
    I agree with you, DrJay.

Comment

There is nothing unusual or special about that attitude, it's the norm for an athlete at this level. I never believed for one millisecond that Felix would give up her spot. Tarmoh's attitude was the antithesis of an Olympic competitor.

Comment

Fair play to Felix, she wanted it and was willing to run again to prove it. Her 200m will benefit from having run the 100m and who knows what will happen in the final. But just because Tarmoh didn't want to run off, doesn't make her less of an athlete. Its a personal decision and she's the only person who has to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
          There is nothing unusual or special about that attitude, it's the norm for an athlete at this level. I never believed for one millisecond that Felix would give up her spot. Tarmoh's attitude was the antithesis of an Olympic competitor.
          I don't think Tarmoh would have reacted that way if the race had been called a dead-heat from the beginning. From I gather, what happened to Tarmoh was unprecedented.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            I don't think Tarmoh would have reacted that way if the race had been called a dead-heat from the beginning. From I gather, what happened to Tarmoh was unprecedented.
            Not that different from what happened in the '02 EC m1500...

Comment

Tarmoh's attitude was no different to me than Olympic Champion at the '92 Olympics, Marie Jose Perec in Sydney. Unexplainable, but NOT the antithesis of an Olympic competitor. I MIGHT agree with you if she had never been called 3rd first, but when everyone told her she had been cheated (because it was Allyson Felix), I think she just felt it was unfair.

Comment

I don't think Tarmoh would have reacted that way if the race had been called a dead-heat from the beginning.
                We don't know any such thing. The only thing we do know is she has some pretty lousy advisers.

I agree with marknhj.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                  I don't think Tarmoh would have reacted that way if the race had been called a dead-heat from the beginning.
                  We don't know any such thing. The only thing we do know is she has some pretty lousy advisers.

I agree with marknhj.
                  Did I use the word "know"? Of course no one knows what another person might do? For example, we don't know that Felix wouldn't have reacted the same way had the situation had been reversed? That's why I used the word "think".

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                    Fair play to Felix, she wanted it and was willing to run again to prove it. Her 200m will benefit from having run the 100m and who knows what will happen in the final. But just because Tarmoh didn't want to run off, doesn't make her less of an athlete. Its a personal decision and she's the only person who has to live with it.
                    Why did Felix give up her place in the 100 at the 2007 World Championships? This isn't a criticism of Felix. I'm a big fan of Felix, but I don't understand two different choices in similar situations.
                    none

Comment

Did I use the word "know"? Of course no one knows what another person might do? For example, we don't know that Felix wouldn't have reacted the same way had the situation had been reversed? That's why I used the word "think".
                      Yes, it is all speculation. Except for the part of having poor advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by preston
                        Tarmoh's attitude was no different to me than Olympic Champion at the '92 Olympics, Marie Jose Perec in Sydney. Unexplainable, but NOT the antithesis of an Olympic competitor. I MIGHT agree with you if she had never been called 3rd first, but when everyone told her she had been cheated (because it was Allyson Felix), I think she just felt it was unfair.
                        I'm guilty of a poor choice of words so let me re-phrase: Tarmoh's inexplicable decision suggests she does not have the inner steel so typical of 99.9% of Olympic competitors.

Comment

THIS!

But I do very much admire Felix these days. She seems to have come into her own.

I predict a big win for her in the 200m! And a definite finalist in the 100m.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                            Why did Felix give up her place in the 100 at the 2007 World Championships? This isn't a criticism of Felix. I'm a big fan of Felix, but I don't understand two different choices in similar situations.
                            I think with the Daegu double impacting negatively on her speed in the 200m and then running the 100m rounds in Eugene to come back to run 21.69, showed her that the 100m keeps her sharp and she can double up in the sprints and still PR. She'll have only three rounds in London with a soft run through the heats, but a shorter break between the two sprints.

Ato Boldon has talked about doubling helping some athletes and hindering others and based on Eugene its clear that Felix thinks it will help her. She has a decent chance at getting to the 100m final, but its the sharpness that she wants the 100m to help her with.

Comment

^^You realise that - whilst everything you wrote makes perfect sense - you completely answered a different question?

Felix is being praised for not dropping out of the chance to gain an Olympic place, when she in fact dropped out of a guaranteed WC place in 2007 - she can't have her cake and eat it, was the point.

A better answer would be the fact she has matured as an athlete and person in the last five years, and one can only hope Tarmoh will do the same with time

Comment

Working...
                              X