Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: London Empty seats; corporate comp tickets; not good

Originally posted by Randy Treadway
    I also bought tickets to Weightlifting just to see something VERY different, and to check out that Pocket Hercules guy from Romania... only to have the Romanians follow Soviet orders to boycott the games so Pocket Hercules was a no-show. The Weightlifting session was fun anyway. I'd never been in person to a Weightlifting competition before- only seen it on TV. When they dropped those barbells after getting the green light, the whole building shook.
    He was Bulgarian. Romanians defied the Soviet boycott and showed up (Puica, Cusmir, Ionescu).

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
      They've BEEN sold; the market has spoken. Thats "actual capitalism."
      No, ticket prices were set arbitrarily low; Jackaloupe talks briefly about the economics of this in a post in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
        Originally posted by Randy Treadway
        I also bought tickets to Weightlifting just to see something VERY different, and to check out that Pocket Hercules guy from Romania... only to have the Romanians follow Soviet orders to boycott the games so Pocket Hercules was a no-show. The Weightlifting session was fun anyway. I'd never been in person to a Weightlifting competition before- only seen it on TV. When they dropped those barbells after getting the green light, the whole building shook.
        He was Bulgarian. Romanians defied the Soviet boycott and showed up (Puica, Cusmir, Ionescu).
        You're right of course. The point was, Pocket Hercules was a no-show because of the boycott.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by gh
          Nice try at class warfare, but such generally is not the case. If they're coming to the thing they show up early and spend time in the well appointed sponsor "tent"; it wouldn't be putting them out in any particular way.
          Really? That's not at all how it works at Jaguars' games, where the club seats are empty at the start of the game, but pretty full by half-time.
          We were talking Olympic sponsors here, not the NFL, although I must admit that the Jags do play an amateur version of the game.

Comment

Huge blocks of empty seats along the finish straightaway can include a media/press section.
            From the other side (along 1500m start straightaway) I photographed that empty seats phenomenon at both the Atlanta and Beijing Olympics, plus the World Championships at Edmonton.

Comment

Working...
            X