• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Women's steeplechasing needs a star

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    The men's side has never had a real star, except maybe Rono
    Kiptanui wasn't a 'real star'? Shaheen? Or, if we go back in time, Roelants, Garderud, Malinowski?
    Depends what we mean by star. I wouldn't call Shaheen a star. WR holder sure, and a fantastic runner and I am sure he helps sells tickets when he is in form. But frankly, I wouldn't recognize him if he now walked right past me, like say Bekele, Geb or El G and certainly Rono would, and doubt I am alone in that. And as for Kiptanui, he was big, but he was also WR in the 5000 once. The same with Roelants who was multi-talented, cross country, marathons, etc.

Comment

Agree w pretty much everything being stated here -- stardom is really context-specific in most sports, including all the athletics events. Even in athletics, few break out beyond their "home" events or home countries -- much less beyond athletics generally -- though they may well be recognized by those most passionate about the sport, e.g., most of the people here.

I'm guilty too of overlooking steeple on occasion, as much as I love it -- I am a passionate follower of distance running and its history and take some pride in knowing the history. But on another thread when I was posting about WRs set in distance events in postwar OG, I thought I had that history in my head, but when I was reviewing the history to make sure I hadn't forgotten anyone, sure enough, I had forgotten about Garderud altogether.

All that stated -- it is a great event, and I have enjoyed the development of the women's edition as much as anything in the past few years. Stardom aside, it would be great to see some deep, international competition at the top of both men's and women's steeple, so that it's not always a Kenyan championship (I know that's perfectly OK with the Kenyans! just my opinion), and so the women's event doesn't "languish" in low-9:00 land. If and when the women's world record comes to the 10-11% differential w the men's, it will be much closer to 8:50, iirc. (I don't have these #s in front of me as I write this.)

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
        Depends what we mean by star. I wouldn't call Shaheen a star. WR holder sure, and a fantastic runner and I am sure he helps sells tickets when he is in form. But frankly, I wouldn't recognize him if he now walked right past me, like say Bekele, Geb or El G and certainly Rono would, and doubt I am alone in that. And as for Kiptanui, he was big, but he was also WR in the 5000 once. The same with Roelants who was multi-talented, cross country, marathons, etc.
        But I'm pretty much sure you would recognize Kemboi if he took off his shirt and started dancing in front of you.

Comment

Working...
        X