Re: ¶2012 OG: wHT–Tatyana Lysenko (Rus) 256-6 (78.18) OR

Originally posted by norunner
    Originally posted by pakillo
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by americantrackfan
    This could be really embarassing.
    A real black mark on the officials! :cry:
    After heptathlon "DQ" another black mark
    This one was worse though, at least in the hep it happened after the event was over, so it didn't influence the outcome. I don't think Heidler would have thrown over 78 in her last attempt, but we will never know because with all that stuff going on she clearly wasn't able to concentrate.
    As the world record holder and most consistent competitor this season it certainly wasn't far-fetched to believe that she could have improved upon her best mark. At least she got a medal.

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
      As the world record holder and most consistent competitor this season it certainly wasn't far-fetched to believe that she could have improved upon her best mark.
      With all due respect to Heidler, there's no way she can be called "the most consistent competitor this season" when her latest meets coming in included a 70.83 and a 65.06 and her second-best throw today was 73.90.

Compare for instance Zhang, who's had seven consecutive meets at 74+ (and that's without counting the London qualification)... Heidler has never done that, during this or any other season.

Comment

I thought it already black humor to give Heidler as German athlete in the London stadium the 1939 as start number, but the measuring story is another embarassment beyond belief. This affair affected all athletes by causing this delay and obviously threw Heidler off balance. Not to forget Zhang who couldn't be sure before her last attempt if she had bronze and if that's not the case what she would have to throw! Absolutely awful.
        And that's the third female throwning champion where the fan of athletics prefers to threw up. Bring back the four year bans.

Comment

Interestingly, both of these huge officiating snafus revolved around bronze medals for German woman athletes. I am watching on German-speaking TV, so the coverage has been intense. But my brother, who is watching in the UK, knew nothing about the hepathlon fiasco. Has there been any coverage of these disasters in the US, and of the hammer in the UK?

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
            As the world record holder and most consistent competitor this season it certainly wasn't far-fetched to believe that she could have improved upon her best mark.
            With all due respect to Heidler, there's no way she can be called "the most consistent competitor this season" when her latest meets coming in included a 70.83 and a 65.06 and her second-best throw today was 73.90.

Compare for instance Zhang, who's had seven consecutive meets at 74+ (and that's without counting the London qualification)... Heidler has never done that, during this or any other season.
            Well, prior to today Heidler was 3-0 h2h against Zhang this season, 2-0 against Wlodarczyk (not counting the EChs) and 2-0 against Lysenko. The only time she didn't win was when she failed to qualify for the final in Helsinki and there she struggled so badly that you really couldn't draw any conclusions because it had nothing do with her actual form.

Comment

Sinafan - funny that you mention that. The first thing I noticed was her bib number. That has to be a huge coincidence, because I can't imagine the poor taste in doing that on purpose.
              You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Well, prior to today Heidler was 3-0 h2h against Zhang this season, 2-0 against Wlodarczyk (not counting the ECHs) and 2-0 against Lysenko. The only time she didn't win was when she failed to qualify for the final in Helsinki and there she struggled so badly that you really couldn't draw any conclusions because it had nothing do with her actual form.
                That is true, but none of those wins came later than June 1. She did have a very good (and consistent) early season but overall both Zhang and Wlodarczyk have been more consistent. Wlodarczyk's worst non-qualification result this year has been 73.69, and three of Heidler's last four meets before London were worse than that.

As for Helsinki, yes, Heidler was struggling badly... but not struggling that way is exactly what being consistent entails.

Comment

So now there's an additional explanation for what happened originally:

Heidler's throw was correctly measured at 77.12, and it was correctly entered into the system. Just before that, Lysenko's attempt had been 77.12 as well. The "smart" computer system then considered that repetition a mistake by the humans, and just ignored it. The humans then desparately tried to convince the computer system otherwise. Guess we can be glad no lives were at stake, with technology as "smart" as that...

Comment

Oh dear, Lysenko closeup :?

Comment

Originally posted by lapsus
                      Oh dear, Lysenko closeup :?
                      Sadly I can't rebuke you for commenting on a physical appearance this time... Was upset and dissapointed to see the change.
                      Happy for B Heidler getting the medal. Wish the officials hadnt messed up in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by j-a-m
                        So now there's an additional explanation for what happened originally:

Heidler's throw was correctly measured at 77.12, and it was correctly entered into the system. Just before that, Lysenko's attempt had been 77.12 as well. The "smart" computer system then considered that repetition a mistake by the humans, and just ignored it. The humans then desparately tried to convince the computer system otherwise. Guess we can be glad no lives were at stake, with technology as "smart" as that...
                        Similar explanation with a slight twist from someone within the oval for the Games.
                        A note from someone with their 'boots on the ground' at the London Olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by someone with their 'boots on the ground'
                          That's when the machine came up with the message that confused the operator, who then inadvertently nullified the mark.
                          Alright, as a programmer myself, a confusing message seems a lot more likely than that someone would write the program so that it would automatically delete duplicate marks with no human intervention and no way to override it. Still a problem, of course, but not a blindingly stupid one.

Comment

The explanation of the computer confusing two consecutive identical marks sounds squishy to me. I am not a programmer or expert but in my exerience with automated field event results, a properly programmed system will accept and process an infinite number of identical or ridiculous marks.

I recall an instance where the inadvertant transposition of numbers by the operator resulted in the scoreboard proclaiminga new WR.. the computer did not know the difference but the crowd sure did.

Comment

Working...
                            X