• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2012 OG: w200–Allyson Felix (US) 21.88

Originally posted by JRM
    Originally posted by tracknut2012
    Plus, we know the Eugene track is a bit "special"
    This is nonsense. Where did this "special track" rumor get started, anyway?
    Dubai; darn them.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      Originally posted by TrackFan4Ever

So now 2008 through 2011 were lost years for Felix.

From an improvement standpoint, yes(not to mention one individual gold in three championship meets).
      This isn't fair.

Felix ran under 21 for the first time after Osaka in 2008. Ran under 11 for the first time in 2008. And ran under 50 for the first time since 2007, in 2008.

2009, she won the W gold.

2010, she focused primarily on the 400m and won every race she competed in, without putting forth maximum effort. She also won the 100m title at US champs.

2011, she ran under 50 2 or 3 times and broke her 400m pr from Stockholm, losing to Montsho by a hair for the gold. She was back on the track the next day after, too. And very narrowly lost the silver to Jeter.

These were all prime improvement years for Felix as a sprinter. All of those years are the reason she's as good as she is today.

I'll never understand why Americans take their uberly successful and talented sprinters for a pile of dust. I still wish Nicola gave a toss about getting back to peak form. Be thankful :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by sportsnerd
        Originally posted by EPelle
        Felix's sixth sub-22,00, equals her 3rd-fastest career 200m (Stockholm, 2009). First season in Felix's storied career that she has twice broken 22,00 in the same season.
        I haven't gone through all the post to see if anyone has corrected your posting but where you get six sub-22 clocking last time I check it was five
        once 2007: her then PB 21.81 In Osaka
        once 2008: 21.93 behind VCB 21.74 in Beijing
        Once 2009: 21.88 in Stockholm
        Twice 2012: Her astonishing 21.69 @ the US Trials & her second best of 21.88 for the Olympic gold!
        She ran 21.82 at the US Olympic trials in 2008, though I'm not completely sure if it was legal... :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Adriana S
          Felix's sixth sub-22,00, equals her 3rd-fastest career 200m (Stockholm, 2009). First season in Felix's storied career that she has twice broken 22,00 in the same season.
          I haven't gone through all the post to see if anyone has corrected your posting but where you get six sub-22 clocking last time I check it was five
          Twice 2012: Her astonishing 21.69 @ the US Trials & her second best of 21.88 for the Olympic gold!
          She ran 21.82 at the US Olympic trials in 2008, though I'm not completely sure if it was legal... :?:
          Check the wind reading, it was wind assisted. Ask all the expert analysts or statistician. As a matter of fact, here is the verification look under the wind assisted listing for the 200m
          http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists ... etail.html

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here
            Originally posted by ChuiTai
            Well I hope Richards-Ross can make the best out of a two-day recovery process for the long relay. Haven't a clue on the magnitude of fitness deficit from the last six days.

My colleague determined from his on-site recording that Felix took approximately five fewer steps than Fraser-Pryce in the final 100m with a 0.13 difference in time. Since I was told the recording was @ 60Hz, no doubt its' accuracy is very questionable. Hope to see an IAAF analysis similar to '08 on these sprint races.
            60Hz is way more than enough to count the number of steps an athlete takes.
            I agree. I was thinking more of the time difference.

Comment

Allyson Felix was just asked about Rio 2016. She says that Rio is a definite possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by GDAWG
                Allyson Felix was just asked about Rio 2016. She says that Rio is a definite possibility.
                But what event will she do in Rio the 200 or the 400 ?

Comment

Originally posted by jamal00005
                  She did not say, but she said that she wanted to be faster (ie break Flo Jo's World Record).

Comment

She did not say, but she said that she wanted to be faster (ie break Flo Jo's World Record).
                    well kudos to her for taking on trying to break that ridiculous record

Comment

Congratulations to Allyson!! Well deserved gold for her to cap off a great year! Congrats also to SAFP and Carmelita. Both surprised me a bit, but earned their medals as well.

At 30, I'm not sure VCB can continue to double much longer. Maybe for next year's WC, but beyond that she might be better served by focusing on one event. She clearly did not have her usual strength for the 200. Both Allyson and Jeter were ahead of her off the curve, and SAFP quickly passed her as soon as they hit the straight.

I'm hoping that Allyson focuses on the 400 for next year, just to see what she can do with it without worrying about anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by skiboo
                        First, congratulations to Felix for a convincing victory.

Other thoughts: What a disappointing winning time, 0.21 slower than she ran in Eugene, despite running the 100 (in London) 0.18 faster than she did at the US Olympic trials. Felix is certainly fast, but stacked up against the stars of the past, she is horridly inconsistent.
                        First of all, don't pay attention to times clocked in Eugene...they have as much credibility as times clocked in Rieti. So, 21.6x was never really on the cards, despite what you might read on this thread. I thought Felix ran well to win in 21.88, and that's a winning time in London.

Secondly, she's new to the 100m, and not as good at it as she is the 200m, so her times are going to be inconsistent in the 100m, and not comparable to the 200m.
                        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by running4life
                          I just heard lance mention something along the lines about VCB thinking of retirement and i was a bit shocked because VCB should now be looking forward to Moscow to retaining her 200m world tittle
                          I doubt that, VCB will bounce back at worlds.She said once she stop winning medals she will retire. She won a bronze in the 100 and is still world champion.I am sure she will go back to the drawing board and work on whatever needs fixing.
                          Again congrats to Allsyon
                          I doubt it too....

VCB can still earn decent money on the Diamond League circuit, and as long as she can do so, we'll see her running. That said, we may just have seen the best years of VCB's career....
                          My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                            Well one thing's for sure - it's a good thing Felix skipped the 400. That very well may have made the difference in holding back SAFP in the 200
                            One thing's also for sure: Good thing Felix tried that double last year. She's never run faster. That endurance gain may very well have made the difference in this break-through year.

Comment

It seems to me that SAFP is a much more complete sprinter than she used to be. I think that the SAFP of prior years would not have hung on as well as she did in the 100, and hence her win (I remember her having a (much?) bigger early margin last time) despite a more narrow start margin.

She clearly has got something different because no only did she not start fading at 120, she really was not fading to anyone except possibly Felix at 185m. People might remember that I have been critical to some Jamaican posters about her but she has shown more the second half of this season than I expected, which is why I thought she was the 100 fav and a threat in the 200.

As for questioning Felix with 'only' a 21.88 (vis a vis Eugene's 21.69), not wind was not quite as good, the weather likewise, and she hard more rest there. In addition, look at what VCB and Jeter ran in the Final compared to the semi with only the top two looking better.

Comment

Originally posted by Adriana S
                                It was five. Thank you. I made a mistake. Appreciate the correction.

Comment

Working...
                                X