Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2012 OG: w200–Allyson Felix (US) 21.88

Originally posted by skiboo
    First, congratulations to Felix for a convincing victory.

Other thoughts: What a disappointing winning time, 0.21 slower than she ran in Eugene, despite running the 100 (in London) 0.18 faster than she did at the US Olympic trials. Felix is certainly fast, but stacked up against the stars of the past, she is horridly inconsistent.
    Horridly inconsistent. Interesting viewpoint.

I'd like to understand how one becomes horridly inconsistent (despite running their second-fastest global championships time) from your perspective. Can you please help me understand what criteria you use to judge Felix against her predecessors? I'd like to understand why I object to this sentiment.

If you compare Felix to those past stars who ran sub-22 at the USAOT (the common denominator) then went on to both win and run sub-22 at the Olympics, you'll discover, remarkably enough, that Felix is on par or ahead.

Or, to simplify things, compare Felix to previous OT winners. See if she's was faster or slower in London than the previous USA Olympic Trials winners.

2008 EUG: 1. Allyson Felix (adi) 21,82w. 2012: Faster (legal wind)
    2004 SAC: 1. Allyson Felix (adi) 22,28. 2012: Faster
    2000 SAC: 1. Marion Jones (Nike) 21,94. 2012: Faster
    1996 ATL: 1. Carlette Guidry (Adidas) 22,14. 2012: Faster
    1992 ORL: 1. Gwen Torrence (Mazda) 22,03. 2012: Faster

The only real, valid data to work with is comparing Felix to Felix in 2008. It's the only venue where the OT's were contested at the same venue. There, Felix ran with an assisted wind. And, she didn't win the OG. Felix in 2012 slowed against the OT, but won the OG. Every athlete (save one) in the London final behind Felix ran slower than their best times.

I'm not seeing the horrid inconsistency. Perhaps my vision is weakening.

Comment

This one was an easy one to pick. Glad Felix won. She has easily been the best 200m runner this season and anything less than Gold would have been disappointing. Thought VCB would have challenged through the line but she really hasn't had a good season. Shelly is in fine form and if she works on this event she could become as dominant as Felix is.

Comment

Well well well, VCB fans are up in arms about Kerron running anchor.Jeter is going to blaze pass Kerro, what is Jamaica thinking? kerron didn't even make it to the 100 finals.Why would you replace the best anchor that Jamaica has for a lame Kerron? Jeter is going to blow Kerron away and open up the gap more on Kerron.VCB is a fighter and always close the gap whenever she is running anchor.Don't feed me that busllshit about vcb is the best turn runner. You need someone who can hang in there with Jeter on anchor, Kerron is not in form to run anybody down or even keep up with the other ladies.
        I hope Jamaica come to their senses and put back the queen on anchor. All of vcb fans are cussing.
        Put back vcb on anchor or else JAMAICA will be running for bronze

Comment

This is what a fan on facebook have to say about the matter

Gregg I agree so much with you. Why put Kerron on anchor. Kerron is not up to any scratch right now at all!! Yes Jeter will kill her on the field. Gregg everything surrounding our athletes, our camp is very fishy right now to me. It is putting me in a frame of mind if big money a run to keep down our athletes. Look at the kind of decisions being made by the JAAA management team. I don't want to sound like my brain gone off but I would a swear there is a sell-out somewhere, I could be wrong but I just can't shake the feeling..
          Chat Conversation End

Comment

Joel R. Jones-Nelson

The J'can Camp for this Olympics I must is made up of some coaches whose brains are apparently saw dust. How can you give Veronica third leg and making Kerron run against Jeter? Do you guys really want the Gold or just settling for Silver AGAIN? Remember Kerron was the cause we had a baton change prob in '08 and now we want her to anchor us to Bronze. This Olympics I will just not understand.

Like · · Unfollow Post · Share · 11 minutes ago ·

Michael Fortis Marrah likes this..

Ryan Oshane Martin loool are they serious? Better they put Simpson!

9 minutes ago via mobile · Like.

Joel R. Jones-Nelson Honestly, I think that wouldnt upset me as much. Kerron's body looks like its falling apart

9 minutes ago · Like.

Pitika Di Prodigy Brown u cyah change it suh start pray

8 minutes ago · Like.

Joel R. Jones-Nelson Bare stupidness a gwan in London, looks like being there makes them feel under slavery all over again

2 minutes ago · Like

Comment

Originally posted by running4life

Gregg I agree so much with you. Why put Kerron on anchor. Kerron is not up to any scratch right now at all!! Yes Jeter will kill her on the field. Gregg everything surrounding our athletes, our camp is very fishy right now to me. It is putting me in a frame of mind if big money a run to keep down our athletes. Look at the kind of decisions being made by the JAAA management team. I don't want to sound like my brain gone off but I would a swear there is a sell-out somewhere, I could be wrong but I just can't shake the feeling..
              Chat Conversation End
              If Kerron is lefthanded and Veronica is righthanded, this would allow for better exchanges which is what 4x100's are all about.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist

Chat Conversation End
                If Kerron is lefthanded and Veronica is righthanded, this would allow for better exchanges which is what 4x100's are all about.
                But do you really believe that Kerron can run with Jeter?

Comment

What connection does this 4x1 talk have to last evening's 200m?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    If you don't have anything to add then keep your damn mouth shut

Comment

My bad that was pretty rude of me

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist

Chat Conversation End
                        But do you really believe that Kerron can run with Jeter?
                        It makes no difference on a relay, because speed is fungible. Leroy Dixon got smoked by Asafa Powell in Osaka in 2007, but Powell so far behind when he got the stick that it didn't matter. Baton exchanges, on the other hand, are not fungible. For example, putting Usain Bolt on second leg would cost Jamaica at least 0.3s because he's terrible with his left hand.

Comment

My bad that was pretty rude of me
                          No problem. Water under the bridge.

Comment

@ running for life - are Jamaicans on facebook seriously going mad because Kerron is on anchor ?

Comment

Originally posted by jamal00005
                              @ running for life - are Jamaicans on facebook seriously going mad because Kerron is on anchor ?
                              Yes they are.They feel like Kerron is not fit enough to anchor and they think it's a slap in vcb face who has been anchoring since 04 and I do agree. I can't wait for Jeter to blaze pass Kerron liek a ghost and thi will teach them to leave the queen where is she best suited.I would not have ran if I was vcb.If this was teh Kerron of 08 and 09 I would be fine with it but this lame ass Kerron who can't make any finals is nuts.Jeter is going to have her for lunch

Comment

Originally posted by jamal00005
                                Yes they are.They feel like Kerron is not fit enough to anchor and they think it's a slap in vcb face who has been anchoring since 04 and I do agree. I can't wait for Jeter to blaze pass Kerron liek a ghost and thi will teach them to leave the queen where is she best suited.I would not have ran if I was vcb.If this was teh Kerron of 08 and 09 I would be fine with it but this lame ass Kerron who can't make any finals is nuts.Jeter is going to have her for lunch
                                If she's not fit enough to anchor, she's not fit enough to be on the team. Who are Jamaica's fastest four women, that is the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X