Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2012 OG: w200–Allyson Felix (US) 21.88

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger
    Just sayin... if somebody opened up this topic looking for a discussion of the women's 200m, they might just give up after wading through pages and pages of nationalistic chest puffing and seemingly endless "expert" opines about the relays -- each of which, btw, have their own forum topic where no doubt many of these same comments will be repeated by the same characters. This thread is a mess.
    Don't be a wise guy.I will take this over to the 4x100 so you Americans can enjoy Felix victory

Comment

Originally posted by running4life
      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Running4life, it seems like you have problems accepting the idea that speed in fungible on relays, and that good exchannges are more important than having your fastest person on anchor.
      Lmao Jeter could drop the baton and still fly pass Kerron.I am done with this.Will be here bright and early to say I TOLD YOU YOU
      I guess I was right about you.

Comment

Running4life, it seems like you have problems accepting the idea that speed in fungible on relays, and that good exchannges are more important than having your fastest person on anchor.
        Lmao Jeter could drop the baton and still fly pass Kerron.I am done with this.Will be here bright and early to say I TOLD YOU YOU
        I guess I was right about you.
        I could give a rat ass what you think about me

Comment

Originally posted by t_monk
          So where you going to put Stewart? kmt.... This is the best line up we have....

SAFP - Simpson - VCB - KS
          why do you keep saying that when Kerron is not strong enough to anchor?
          Let me start by saying that as long as JA and US finishes the race and have decent (not even great) changes it is a 1-2 between these two countries. So the idea that irrespective of the line-up that Jamaica will get anything less than a silver is just fallacious.

Now as it pertains to VCB being on anchor in place of KS... You can say that yes, but quite frankly by your standard it would be better to have SAFP on anchor and not VCB then if you are looking for someone to run with/run down Jeter. So why not say SAFP should be running anchor?

The fact is if Jeter gets the baton before VCB on anchor, Jeter runs away with this and if KS runs the third leg that is EXACTLY what is going to happen. We have a better chance of getting in front of Jeter and hoping to hold on. I agree that Kerron is not in 2008/2009 form but she does have top end speed but with no start and with no curve running ability this season.

The main reason to have Kerron on anchor over VCB is because we gain more from having VCB on 3rd and Kerron on anchor than vice versa. We will have a great curve from VCB and an average - good anchor from Kerron. While conversely we would have a bad - average curve from Kerron and a good-great anchor from VCB. VCB will BLAST anyone on the curve but she will struggle to catch Jeter on anchor. KS will struggle on the curve against anyone but on the anchor she can hold off most people AND WITH enough a lead (with a doubled Jeter and well rested) Kerron CAN actually hold off Jeter.

Shelly can go anywhere if you ask me... but she is the best starter. It would be either Shelly or VCB starting if you ask me. Shelly is our starter and should stay there.

Sherone runs good backstretch... and has to be on a straight because she simply has not run any good curves this year. She also has been having very crappy starts... So again she must run a straight... She runs good backstretch so she runs that leg.

VCB.... best turn runner ever.... and will decimate anyone the US puts on the curve....

Stewart.... With enough of a lead she CAN hold off Jeter.

If Jeter is in the lead at the start of the anchor leg.... US wins....

Comment

Originally posted by tracknut2012
            The US will probably field Tarmoh/Knight to Allyson to Madison to Jeter.
            Madison (WI silver medal, best starter etc etc) has been leading off in all the relays she's been on that I've seen, and done a good job at it.

If she's not lead off again, I'd be very surprised. Madison-Felix-Knight/Tarmoh-Jeter is far more like the team JAM will have to contend with

SAFP vs Madison - SAFP
            Sherone vs Felix - Felix
            VCB vs Knight - VCB
            Kerron vs Jeter - Jeter

Hand overs will be EVERYthing to this race. Jamaicans should be praying for Knight on the final team, as it gives them a real chance of a lead

Comment

#applaudsFelix

She deserves this gold medal... Off of sheer talent.... She 100% deserves this.

Comment

Well well well, VCB fans are up in arms about Kerron running anchor.Jeter is going to blaze pass Kerro, what is Jamaica thinking? kerron didn't even make it to the 100 finals.Why would you replace the best anchor that Jamaica has for a lame Kerron? Jeter is going to blow Kerron away and open up the gap more on Kerron.VCB is a fighter and always close the gap whenever she is running anchor.Don't feed me that busllshit about vcb is the best turn runner.
                Your argument seems based on you assuming that the baton gets to the anchor at the same time regardless of the previous three runners. You're forgetting the difference in time between VCB running the curve and a left-handed Stewart getting the baton in her right hand (remember Beijing?) and running the curve. Those are not two equal scenarios. If Stewart runs the curve you can best believe that VCB would be receiving the baton behind Jeter and VCB will not catch Jeter with a running start, period. With VCB running the curve it is likely that Stewart gets the baton with a lead, and Jeter will have to catch Stewart before the line.

When arguing relay positions it is important to understand all of the dynamics of a relay, which doesn't seem to be the case for you (sorry to say but that is the impression you convey).

S-AF-P is our best starter and a very good curve runner. She runs leg 1.
                Simpson has shown no start this year and not much curve running ability. She qualified for the 200m by running past VCB on the straight at trials. She runs leg 2.
                VCB = curve, the end. Leg 3.
                Stewart, like Simpson, has shown no great start this year but still has decent straight line speed. Leg 4.
                That's the four ladies placed in the best position for their respective talents. That represents the best order, given the 2012 circumstances of each runner. It is their best shot of winning gold. It is up to them to execute a proper relay race.
                Regards,
                toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by Adriana S
                  Originally posted by guru
                  Originally posted by TrackFan4Ever

So now 2008 through 2011 were lost years for Felix.

From an improvement standpoint, yes(not to mention one individual gold in three championship meets).
                  This isn't fair.

Felix ran under 21 for the first time after Osaka in 2008. Ran under 11 for the first time in 2008. And ran under 50 for the first time since 2007, in 2008.

2009, she won the W gold.

2010, she focused primarily on the 400m and won every race she competed in, without putting forth maximum effort. She also won the 100m title at US champs.

2011, she ran under 50 2 or 3 times and broke her 400m pr from Stockholm, losing to Montsho by a hair for the gold. She was back on the track the next day after, too. And very narrowly lost the silver to Jeter.

These were all prime improvement years for Felix as a sprinter. All of those years are the reason she's as good as she is today.

I'll never understand why Americans take their uberly successful and talented sprinters for a pile of dust. I still wish Nicola gave a toss about getting back to peak form. Be thankful :lol:
                  I am curious what Guru will have to say about your analysis. Of course, he will point out that Allyson never ran under 21, but we know you meant 22. His major premise seems to be Felix' times have not improved since 2007, thus 2008 - 2011 were lost years according to him. Yet, he does not use that barometer for other athletes. Also, you have demonstrated that 2008 to 2011 were clearly not lost years!

Comment

What are the odds we'll see VCB in Rio? AF has already said that she believes she has one more Olympics left in her and that Rio was a definite possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by GDAWG
                      What are the odds we'll see VCB in Rio? AF has already said that she believes she has one more Olympics left in her and that Rio was a definite possibility.
                      Felix is 4 years younger than her through.
                      It would all depend on the talent pool in Jamaica and if there is a major SAFP 2008 like break through from another athlete in 4 years.

Felix is so far ahead of most talent in the US that in 4 years, even when she starts slowing down, she should still be good for another team.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                        It would all depend on the talent pool in Jamaica and if there is a major SAFP 2008 like break through from another athlete in 4 years.

Felix is so far ahead of most talent in the US that in 4 years, even when she starts slowing down, she should still be good for another team.
                        Good point!!

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

Four years is a long time for new talent to emerge (eg. Gardener, Duncan, etc.).

Comment

VCB being in Rio would make this her fifth and I think this is when she would call it a day and that is the day i would cry rivers of tears

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

Four years is a long time for new talent to emerge (eg. Gardener, Duncan, etc.).

I see Gardner being a 100 meter favorite and Duncan being a 200 favorite. Those two are the child prodigies who will blossom in the Rio generation. Gardner will be 24 and by then be a 10.7 sprinter and Duncan will be 25 and be a 21.8 sprinters(my hopeful predictions).

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

I agree, but since Felix and Muna lee, how many younger athlets have made the 200m team? I do think there will be new comers, but I think Felix will still be fit enough to not only make the team, but challenge for another medal.

Comment

Working...
                                X