• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ¶2012 OG: w200–Allyson Felix (US) 21.88

Originally posted by ATK
    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
    Originally posted by ATK
    Originally posted by GDAWG
    What are the odds we'll see VCB in Rio? AF has already said that she believes she has one more Olympics left in her and that Rio was a definite possibility.
    Felix is 4 years younger than her through.
    It would all depend on the talent pool in Jamaica and if there is a major SAFP 2008 like break through from another athlete in 4 years.

Felix is so far ahead of most talent in the US that in 4 years, even when she starts slowing down, she should still be good for another team.
    Four years is a long time for new talent to emerge (eg. Gardener, Duncan, etc.).
    I agree, but since Felix and Muna lee, how many younger athlets have made the 200m team? I do think there will be new comers, but I think Felix will still be fit enough to not only make the team, but challenge for another medal.
    Is she ever coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
      Muna lee
      Is she ever coming back?
      She tried this year, but did not have a qualifying time for trials so was declined. Her bests are an 11.45 and 23.37 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
        What are the odds we'll see VCB in Rio? AF has already said that she believes she has one more Olympics left in her and that Rio was a definite possibility.
        It would all depend on the talent pool in Jamaica and if there is a major SAFP 2008 like break through from another athlete in 4 years.

Felix is so far ahead of most talent in the US that in 4 years, even when she starts slowing down, she should still be good for another team.
        I think that Felix will be better in four years. Despite her running the 100 in London, her times at 200 and 4x400 were marginally slower than at Osaka in 2007 where she declined the 100 after making the team.

IMHO she has the ability to break WRs at 200 & 400. Her 100 PR is slower than Marita Koch's PR of 10.83 in 1983 - when Koch also ran only relay 400s - but her 200 PR is 0.02 faster than Koch's 21.71, so a 47.1 is reasonable.

I'm not a sprint expert, but I suspect that Felix should have done as Jeter did in 2011 between nationals and Daegu and run three 100s and two 200s - not the one 200 that she did run. Perhaps those races would have given her the speed to produce a sub - 49 at Daegu in the open 400.

In 2012 she has run about 14 100s, seven 200s and three 4x400 relay legs, but she could have added three 200s and 400s before London in lieu of her strenous workouts - probably with even better results. In 2007 she ran 35 races as a fulltime college student. As a track & field fan, I look forward to Felix's improving at her best distances.
        none

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
          ...but her 200 PR is 0.02 faster than Koch's 21.71, so a 47.1 is reasonable.
          I'm not a sprint expert....
          I can tell...

Comment

IMHO she has the ability to break WRs at 200 & 400. Her 100 PR is slower than Marita Koch's PR of 10.83 in 1983 - when Koch also ran only relay 400s - but her 200 PR is 0.02 faster than Koch's 21.71, so a 47.1 is reasonable.

I'm not a sprint expert
            I think that much was obvious from the previous sentence :roll:

Comment

How is it that her reported specific work and comp prep nearest to the left of the F/T curve produces faster major SpecEnd performances than those reported prep efforts at the AnT junction? Is she simply more responsive with absolute speed and creative reserve functions (SE, IT, etc.) than the more popular gross durations of anaerobic (high lactate producing) and aerobic work for 400 related events?

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                I can tell...
                I'm happy to read a disagreement with my theory, but I'm disappointed that no reason was given. In the past five global meets Felix has run the fastest 4x400 leg. In 2010 she ran four open 400s outdoors, was ranked first in the world and defeated Montsho in all four races. On her IAAF blog she admitted that she "trained through" the US Indoor championships which may have kept her from winning the 2010 World Indoor 400.

She won the US 100 title in the non - championship year of 2010, so I was surprised that she didn't run any open 100s in 2011. She seems to have her best results when she runs about 10 each of the 100, 200 and 400. George Young said that "the best workout is a race," so I hope that Felix races more leading to four gold medals in Rio at 200, 400, 4x100 and 4x400.
                none

Comment

Originally posted by fasttrack85
                  Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  Originally posted by ATK

Four years is a long time for new talent to emerge (eg. Gardener, Duncan, etc.).

I see Gardner being a 100 meter favorite and Duncan being a 200 favorite. Those two are the child prodigies who will blossom in the Rio generation. Gardner will be 24 and by then be a 10.7 sprinter and Duncan will be 25 and be a 21.8 sprinters(my hopeful predictions).
                  My thinking was also that Gardner is a 100-type -- and then I saw her relay leg at NCAAs and suddenly my perspective changed.

As for VCB, I saw no particular decline in her performance until suddenly this year she was not on the same level. Rather than contend for another 200 Gold she barely held on for fourth (although she did medal in the 100). I will wait until next year to get more info, but if this was not a bit of an anomaly, she will not be a major player four years from now -- not saying that if she just focuses on the 100 for speed but the 200 only for the Games that she might not medal again. AF's return to the 100 for speed has made the 200 more of a challenge for VCB. (But she medaled with two great 100 runners for competition.)

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                    I can tell...
                    I'm happy to read a disagreement with my theory, but I'm disappointed that no reason was given. In the past five global meets Felix has run the fastest 4x400 leg. In 2010 she ran four open 400s outdoors, was ranked first in the world and defeated Montsho in all four races. On her IAAF blog she admitted that she "trained through" the US Indoor championships which may have kept her from winning the 2010 World Indoor 400.

She won the US 100 title in the non - championship year of 2010, so I was surprised that she didn't run any open 100s in 2011. She seems to have her best results when she runs about 10 each of the 100, 200 and 400. George Young said that "the best workout is a race," so I hope that Felix races more leading to four gold medals in Rio at 200, 400, 4x100 and 4x400.
                    Relay splits are not good indicators of an athletes flat time.
                    The idea that her 200m and 100m times mean she can take .5 off the 400m world record right now is simply ridiculous. There would have been tons of sprinters who would have run sub 48 by now if that was the case.

Comment

She won the US 100 title in the non - championship year of 2010, so I was surprised that she didn't run any open 100s in 2011. She seems to have her best results when she runs about 10 each of the 100, 200 and 400. George Young said that "the best workout is a race," so I hope that Felix races more leading to four gold medals in Rio at 200, 400, 4x100 and 4x400.[/quote]

Relay splits are not good indicators of an athletes flat time.
                      The idea that her 200m and 100m times mean she can take .5 off the 400m world record right now is simply ridiculous. There would have been tons of sprinters who would have run sub 48 by now if that was the case.[/quote]

Why not? Who else has run 10.89, 21.69 and 48.0r? Koch (48.55 at 1983 WCh) and Flojo (48.1 at 1988 OG) ran strong relay legs in a season where they concentrated on the 100 and 200.
                      none

Comment

Why not? Who else has run 10.89, 21.69 and 48.0r? Koch (48.55 at 1983 WCh) and Flojo (48.1 at 1988 OG) ran strong relay legs in a season where they concentrated on the 100 and 200.
                        relay splits are not part of the equation. They are splits. Not open times I can give you 3 different splits from Felix's London 4x4. All are "Official".

And seriously think about why you said. Felix can run a 47.1?!

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                          relay splits are not part of the equation. They are splits. Not open times I can give you 3 different splits from Felix's London 4x4. All are "Official".

Felix runs second leg so she has a one turn stagger thereby having slight variation in splits. I use T&FN splits. Who predicted that the US 4x100 would improve by 0.65 over a team of 15 years ago and by 0.75 over the 2011 team? Again, who else has Felix's PRs? Thanks for a thoughtful reply.
                          none

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

Felix runs second leg so she has a one turn stagger thereby having slight variation in splits. I use T&FN splits. Who predicted that the US 4x100 would improve by 0.65 over a team of 15 years ago and by 0.75 over the 2011 team? Again, who else has Felix's PRs? Thanks for a thoughtful reply.
                            none

Comment

Marion Jones
                              Merlene Ottey
                              Heike Drechsler
                              Grace Jackson
                              Gwen Torrence

Then you have athletes who have run amazing 400's who your technically claiming to either have "under" performed in the other events, or "over" performed in the 400m

Jarmila Kratochvílová
                              Marie-José Pérec
                              Olga Vladykina-Bryzgina
                              Cathy Freeman (Probably the best example considering how much she has run the 200 and never even broke 22.2!)
                              Sanya Richards Ross

The idea that an athlete can run an extremely fast 400 based off their 100m and 200m times is completely untrue. The 400 is a completely different event.

And again think about what you arre claiming. Felix can run a 47.1?!

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                                Marion Jones
                                Merlene Ottey
                                Heike Drechsler
                                Grace Jackson
                                Gwen Torrence
                                Then you have athletes who have run amazing 400's who your technically claiming to either have "under" performed in the other events, or "over" performed in the 400m
                                Jarmila Kratochvílová
                                Marie-José Pérec
                                Olga Vladykina-Bryzgina
                                Cathy Freeman (Probably the best example considering how much she has run the 200 and never even broke 22.2!)
                                Sanya Richards Ross
                                The idea that an athlete can run an extremely fast 400 based off their 100m and 200m times is completely untrue. The 400 is a completely different event.
                                And again think about what you arre claiming. Felix can run a 47.1?!
                                I agree but Jones, Ottey, Drechsler, Jackson and Torrence never ran 400 at a global meet.
                                none

Comment

Working...
                                X