Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9¾ (2.38)… 9 years later…

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

New rules if you like the cheater right? I see nowhere that government sponsored cheating should absolve the actual cheater...the Nazis war criminals tried and failed with this defense in Nuremberg.
    What are you talking about? I said that Kynard's gold is deserved because he was the better "clean" athlete on the day. Obviously it's not his fault that the final results indicate a gold medal winning performance of 2.33m and a silver/bronze medal winning performance of 2.29m, which look more like a world junior final than an Olympic final.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

Just an analogy sir...blaming one's government as a justification when they could have simply declined.
      As they say....When you bring in Nazis you lose the argument...

Why should he decline it if he had no other choice? It is only a sporting event ....not working at Treblinka.

Lots of Americans do have a choice and other options and they have done the PED route...are they Nazis too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

Why should he decline it if he had no other choice? It is only a sporting event ....not working at Treblinka.

Lots of Americans do have a choice and other options and they have done the PED route...are they Nazis too?
        Ok the dirty cheating russian is the true victim and the 2012 olympic high jump champion...he was wronged because his government forced him to dope at gunpoint...you win.

Comment

• Godwin's Law strikes again....

Comment

• Originally posted by gmak View Post

What are you talking about? I said that Kynard's gold is deserved because he was the better "clean" athlete on the day. Obviously it's not his fault that the final results indicate a gold medal winning performance of 2.33m and a silver/bronze medal winning performance of 2.29m, which look more like a world junior final than an Olympic final.
            What some of you folks are trying to do is to attempt to have it both ways...honor Kynard while claiming the disgraced russian was somehow the true victim. Btw, nice passive aggressive dig at Kynard, calling him "the better "clean" athlete.

Comment

• No one is saying he is a victim....he took PEDs ...flunked a test and loses his medal.... the system worked..though unfortunately it did take awhile ...but no need for Nazis.

Comment

• Ukhov critics are right. He broke rules to gain a competitive advantage.He was caught and stripped of titles and medals.
                No one here has suggested that his punishment was undeserved.
                But, people are entitled to have their opinions about the situation without being compared to Nazi war criminals.
                That's a very uncivil bridge waaaay too far.

Comment

• Attempting to make this about my analogy doesn't change the fact that many here defending this drug cheat would have never offered Ben Johnson the same benefit.

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post

If you are referring to Godwin's Law, then that is not the case. The Law merely states that the longer a discussion (on any topic) becomes, the probability of comparison to Hitler or Nazis approaches 1.

Godwin himself has always been clear that his intention was to make people think about the using the comparison correctly, not as catch all for an argument or person you dislike. He described it thus:

...its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust.
                      https://jewcy.com/arts-and-culture/i...rs_godwins_law

Comment

• Nobody is defending Ukhov. He cheated and got busted.

It's sad that only 1 guy was able to jump higher than 2.29m. Barshim flopped. If he'd at least jumped 2.36 instead of 2.29m, he would've given the final some credit.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmak View Post
                          ​​​​​​...... Barshim flopped.....
                          Yes, he did.
                          As did they all.
                          😂😂😂😂😂

Comment

• The height progression damaged the event in my view. They went 2.20-2.25-2.29-2.33 and only Ukhov and Kynard made it. I think, for example, 2.20-2.25-2.28-2.31-2.33 would at least have resulted in all the medals being won above 2.30 and perhaps more than 2 clearing 2.33. Also no 3 way tie for 3rd (now 2nd).

Comment

Working...
                            X