Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9¾ (2.38)… 9 years later…

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 OG: mHJ–US advances 3 to final

Ukhov over at 2.38! Surely that is it.

Loving the BBC dry commentary: "Kynard grabs the bar, as if to have a conversation with it; 'Stay up there, you!'"

Comment

Ukhov becomes the third Russian champion of the past four Games.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
        Kynard could be a sleeper in this event and the other guy flying under the radar is Drouin.
        Lesson to learn: always listen to a former WR holder/Olympic champion.

I know Kynard is coming back for his senior year at K-State, and I think bronze medalist Drouin is coming back to Indiana as well. Should be some awesome competition!

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
          Originally posted by Dietmar239
          Kynard could be a sleeper in this event and the other guy flying under the radar is Drouin.
          Lesson to learn: always listen to a former WR holder/Olympic champion.

I know Kynard is coming back for his senior year at K-State, and I think bronze medalist Drouin is coming back to Indiana as well. Should be some awesome competition!
          Haha. Only in my dreams, man. Dietmar is just my favorite jumper of all time. But you are right. I can't wait for Erik's senior season. This experience will be invaluable for him. So happy for Ukhov to put it together when it counts and FINALLY live down the indoor jumper status!
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

In the pool I'm in I had a Russian winning and an American coming second, just picked the wrong athletes! Had Grabarz in bronze but not sharing it with two others!

Great for Ukhov - he's the best talent of this generation and a fantastic character!

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
              Originally posted by pakillo
              How could they came up with 2.25-2.29-2.33???!!! That ruined the final! We are not in 1993.
              I don't understand it either. Why such a steep progression when that progression is never being used in a normal meet?

Ukhov clears 2.36 in his first attempt, that should wrap up the gold.
              and that's why we have THREE bronze medalists! STUPID!

Comment

Re: ¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9 3/4 (2.38)

The picture NBC used of Ukhov is hilarious --- esp witht the commentary.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/playe ... ov/1351737

'Ukhov doesn't have any previous Olympic experience, but he briefly became an Internet sensation during a meet in Switzerland in 2008 - well before he'd accomplished much as a high jumper. Then 22, Ukhov wobbled toward the bar and collapsed onto the mat, unable to jump because he was drunk on what was later discovered to be a combination of Red Bull and vodka.'

Comment

Between Ukhov and Harting, London may be dry by tomorrow! Congrats to both of them.

Comment

I still wonder what happened whit his shirt during 2,33. All of sudden it was gone and he had to jump in his t-shirt..
                    Anyone heard an explanation?

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                      I don't understand it either. Why such a steep progression when that progression is never being used in a normal meet?
                      Yeah, that's the point, where's the consistency?

Comment

Originally posted by highjumpfan
                        Between Ukhov and Harting, London may be dry by tomorrow! Congrats to both of them.
                        So Harting likes his drink as well then? (German lagers are quality so I can't blame him.)

Which pub? I'll join 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by IFK_Vaxjo
                          I still wonder what happened whit his shirt during 2,33. All of sudden it was gone and he had to jump in his t-shirt..
                          Anyone heard an explanation?
                          He was just warming up until 2.33 and switched shirts after that? :wink:

Comment

Ukhov, my goodness! How about that desperate shirt search through that mess of clothes. These things only happen to Ukhov. And the first time clearance at 2.33 in his back-up shirt. He has now fulfilled his awsome talent. Could not get a feel for how wet the track was when he cleared 2.38. Don't think he wore HJ shoes.

But Drouin for shared bronze, even topped T&FN's projections. I had a faint hope.
                            It sure helped with the first time clearance at 2.29 when it next went to 2.33.

Unfortunately for Drouin he uses some unhelpful arm movements going into the take-off. He has both arms straight back already in his third last step, instead of his second last. When he brings the arms forward again, he stops them before the take off. So he just loses speed.

Canada with 2 jumpers in the top 8, quite impressive. Mason actually came quite close in his last attempt at 2.33.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceFlorman
                              Okay, so what's the protocol when somebody loses their shirt in the middle of the competition? :?
                              so long as he remains in something that is his team's he's OK (believe me, I asked)

Comment

Re: 2012 OG: mHJ–

Originally posted by Marlow
                                Originally posted by dj
                                T&FN formchart
                                1. Ivan Ukhov (Russia)
                                2. Andrey Silnov (Russia)
                                3. Jesse Williams (USA)
                                4. Robbie Grabarz (Great Britain)
                                5. Derek Drouin (Canada)
                                6. Aleksandr Shustov (Russia)
                                7. Trevor Barry (Bahamas)
                                8. Mutaz Essa Barshim (Qatar)
                                9. Guowei Zhang (China)
                                10. Erik Kynard (USA)
                                This event loves to contradict form charts. Someone gets hot and that's it.
                                but we got lucky; our winner won, and half of our chart won medals!

balls-of-steel award to Kynard for understanding how the game had to be played with his jumping ahead of Ukhov, and twice passing at a PR height after an opening miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X