Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9¾ (2.38)… 9 years later…

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9 3/4 (2.38)

Originally posted by Barto
    Is there now any doubt Cliff Rovelto is the best HJ coach in the world?
    Yeah, world's best in the US :wink:

Comment

Banner headline in Kynard's hometown paper, the Toledo Blade, says he cleared "7.64 feet".

As a high school math teacher, I quietly wept.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
        Banner headline in Kynard's hometown paper, the Toledo Blade, says he cleared "7.64 feet".

As a high school math teacher, I quietly wept.
        That's quite correct, actually; if you are not going to use the real measurement, why bother to convert .64 feet to inches?

Cheers,
        Alan Shank

Comment

Originally posted by pakillo
          Originally posted by mump boy
          Why do IAAF hate High Jumpers so much ??

Firstly we have a ludicrous A standard of 2.31 and now we have such a steep progression that it kills the competition

2.29 !!
          2.33 !!

medals were won on the 3rd hight !!

not only does it ruin the competition totally but it makes it REALLY boring
          Agreed. 2cm difference after 2.36!!! Totally ruined competition. I hope for better in women's HJ.
          The problem was not 2 cm after 2.36 because there was only an athlete jumping that height. It was a 4 cm move from 2.29, wich made it difficult for almost all the high jumpers. That's why there were three bronce medalists. Another thing is what Kynard tried to do for winning the competition...

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
            What other coach has 3 different medalists in the last 5 olympics?
            (Not to mention Nieto's 4th and 6th.)

Comment

I just thought that on the night Ukhov put on the most incredible HJ exhibition of the century and demonstrated his absolute superiority and the top US jumper failed miserably your claim that Rovelto must be the top HJ coach in the world sounded a bit tone deaf.

Comment

Someone from Russia, possibly?
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

[quote=Diego Sahagún]
                  Originally posted by pakillo
                  Originally posted by "mump boy":lgslvvf6
                  Why do IAAF hate High Jumpers so much ??

Firstly we have a ludicrous A standard of 2.31 and now we have such a steep progression that it kills the competition

2.29 !!
                  2.33 !!

medals were won on the 3rd hight !!

not only does it ruin the competition totally but it makes it REALLY boring
                  Agreed. 2cm difference after 2.36!!! Totally ruined competition. I hope for better in women's HJ.
                  The problem was not 2 cm after 2.36 because there was only an athlete jumping that height. It was a 4 cm move from 2.29, wich made it difficult for almost all the high jumpers. That's why there were three bronce medalists. Another thing is what Kynard tried to do for winning the competition...[/quote:lgslvvf6]
                  That's exactly what I thought.
                  Almost like having 5.60 and then 5.80 in the PV.

Comment

[quote=Per Andersen]
                    Originally posted by "Per Andersen":ylkzkjus
                    I just thought that on the night Ukhov put on the most incredible HJ exhibition of the century and demonstrated his absolute superiority and the top US jumper failed miserably your claim that Rovelto must be the top HJ coach in the world sounded a bit tone deaf.[/quote:ylkzkjus]

So, I suppose at last year's world championships Rovelto also had a poor showing when only one of his athletes took the gold medal? Twisted logic to blame the coach for a single athlete's poor performance when the other 2 athletes from the same coach jumped very well.

Comment

Barto - with respect, would it be possible not to bring this nationalistic nonsense into HJ discussions? The naked jingoism that has polluted so much of this board is bad enough already. And Per is right.

Comment

Re: ¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9¾ (2.38)

I'm not being nationalistic in the least. And IMHO Per is not right. I am speaking about the expertise of a particular coach in a particular event. I could care less what country he is from. Anyone who knows me knows how many international coaches I consider to be close friends and colleagues. Nothing jingoistic or nationalistic about my appreciation for Coach Rovelto at all. Who else can match his resume? I don't believe the Russian jumpers have all been coached by the same guy? Am I wrong?

Comment

I'm not being nationalistic in the least. And IMHO Per is not right. I am speaking about the expertise of a particular coach in a particular event. I could care less what country he is from. Anyone who knows me knows how many international coaches I consider to be close friends and colleagues. Nothing jingoistic or nationalistic about my appreciation for Coach Rovelto at all. Who else can match his resume? I don't believe the Russian jumpers have all been coached by the same guy? Am I wrong?
                          At this point in time the top US jumpers seek out Rovelto because he is a great coach. In other countries it is not necessary to seek out one specific coach over all other coaches. Could you guarantee that no other coach than Rovelto could get the maximum out of, say, Sellers and Kynard ? You just can't know that. Therefore I find it meaningless and unnecessary to claim that Rovelto is the best HJ coach in the world. Would he be best for Barshim, Ukhov or Grabartz? Again. it's unknowable.

I have all respect for Rovelto, I even have books by the man.

Comment

At this point in time the top US jumpers seek out Rovelto because he is a great coach. In other countries it is not necessary to seek out one specific coach over all other coaches. Could you guarantee that no other coach than Rovelto could get the maximum out of, say, Sellers and Kynard ? You just can't know that. Therefore I find it meaningless and unnecessary to claim that Rovelto is the best HJ coach in the world. Would he be best for Barshim, Ukhov or Grabartz? Again. it's unknowable.

I have all respect for Rovelto, I even have books by the man.
                            This is a very fair point, and I suppose you are correct in saying it is unknowable. In retrospect, I can see how my comments could be taken as nationalistic by an international audience; however, I primarily had an american audience in mind when I was motivated to post in the first place. My apology to anyone I offended by the manner in which I stated my opinion and brought attention to Coach Rovelto's successes.

Comment

I was interested to learn that Ukhov's coach is Sergey Klyugin, who was the Sydney mHJ gold medalist. I'm sure it's not unique, but how common is that -- for one Olympic gold medalist to become the coach of another?

Comment

Barto - nice post and thanks. I was probably being somewhat over-sensitive to the jingoistic bullshit that's becoming the norm on this board. Apologies for misinterpreting your intent.

Comment

Working...
                                X