Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

¶2012 OG: mHJ–Ivan Ukhov (Russia) 7-9¾ (2.38)… 9 years later…

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fortius19 View Post
    I remember one interview he gave after '12 and (IIRC) he said that what was motivating him to continue was to get a Gold at the Olys.

It would be interesting to hear what he has to say about the current situation.
    This is what he said earlier this year after the final CAS decision but before USA trials and obviously before the recent IOC decision:

HJU: Your reaction to this long road of nine years to get the Gold?

KYNARD: This is something I have been waiting to be settled simply for my family and my coach and everyone who has been extremely concerned about the process. For me, my focus has been forward on things that I am setting out to accomplish in the High Jump, Tokyo (Olympics) and the U.S. Trials this year. You can live out of those (past) moments and lament over a loss or a victory that has taken place nine years ago.
    I think that last sentence should be "can't live" based on the prior statements.

An admirable attitude but he might have a different view now after his relatively poor outcomes this year.

Source: https://highjumpu.wordpress.com/2021...ack-to-london/

Comment

• Well, to me it is rather sad that it was Ukhov who was involved and who loses his gold medal. He was to me alway a delight to watch. A superior high jumper during those years. He was the best there was prior to Barshim/Bondarenko. I never forget his sit-up warm-up jumps at 2.20-2.25 and his double back-over in exhibitions.
      But he was trapped in the Russian system. He was in many ways the clown-prince of the HJ. Who can forget when he could not find his shirt in the middle of the Olympic final in London.
      I see now that they have removed his top results, no more 2.42 indoors and 2.41 outdoors. He is left with a top jump at 2.39 (still almost an inch above Kynard's best)
      To me at least the Olympic Champion from the London HJ in 2012 will always be Ivan Sergejevic Ukhov.

Comment

• How do you lose an Olympic medal?

Robbie Grabarz: British high jumper loses Olympic bronze medal as he awaits upgraded silver

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/59352455

Comment

• Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
          How do you lose an Olympic medal?

Robbie Grabarz: British high jumper loses Olympic bronze medal as he awaits upgraded silver

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/59352455
          At least having been part of a three-way tie there is nobody waiting to receive it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
            Well, to me it is rather sad that it was Ukhov who was involved and who loses his gold medal. He was to me alway a delight to watch. A superior high jumper during those years. He was the best there was prior to Barshim/Bondarenko. I never forget his sit-up warm-up jumps at 2.20-2.25 and his double back-over in exhibitions.
            But he was trapped in the Russian system. He was in many ways the clown-prince of the HJ. Who can forget when he could not find his shirt in the middle of the Olympic final in London.
            I see now that they have removed his top results, no more 2.42 indoors and 2.41 outdoors. He is left with a top jump at 2.39 (still almost an inch above Kynard's best)
            To me at least the Olympic Champion from the London HJ in 2012 will always be Ivan Sergejevic Ukhov.
            So the drug cheat is actually the victim? Mr. Kynard should have know better to compete clean, right? What a perverted moral compass.

Comment

Well, to me it is rather sad that it was Ukhov who was involved and who loses his gold medal. He was to me alway a delight to watch. A superior high jumper during those years. He was the best there was prior to Barshim/Bondarenko. I never forget his sit-up warm-up jumps at 2.20-2.25 and his double back-over in exhibitions.
              Interesting
              So I guess in your mind Ben Johnson and Rashid Ramzi will forever be the Olympic champions.

And ironically Ben Johnson could also claim to be as entitled to the gold medal as any of the others in that final given that, it is my understanding that all of the finalists at one time or other tested positive for a banned substance.
              Tuariki
              Last edited by Tuariki; 11-21-2021, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Say What? Not worthy of a comment!

Comment

• Folks are missing this important line.... the Russians just use their track athletes...they don't care if they get caught later or not.

But he was trapped in the Russian system.

Comment

Folks are missing this important line.... the Russians just use their track athletes...they don't care if they get caught later or not.

But he was trapped in the Russian system.
                    Still cheating...still a stolen accomplishment....if these athletes didn't cheat we wouldn't know them and people like you would not be here rationalizing their dishonesty.

Comment

• Lotta undue criticism of Per because he spoke his mind and a lot of overlooking his central message: That Ukhov was a pawn in an athletic system completely perverted by a ruthless, corrupt, brutal cental government.
                      We don't know anything about the specifics of Ukhov's situation, but is seems realistic to assume that being an elite international athlete in Russia means submitting to that system.
                      In the USA there are many, many examples of athletes, coaches and corporate sponsors who have knowingly conspired to violate rules all on their own, even without the added pressure of a strong central government leaning in to encourage and facilitate the cheating.
                      Per was not saying he disagreed with the Ukhov's OG win being vacated or that he approved of cheating.
                      He said he was disappointed that such a spectacular athlete, and one of his favorite characters, was involved. Me, too.
                      jc203
                      Last edited by jc203; 11-24-2021, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jc203 View Post
                        Lotta undue criticism of Per because he spoke his mind and a lot of overlooking his central message: That Ukhov was a pawn in an athletic system completely perverted by a ruthless, corrupt, brutal cental government.
                        We don't know anything about the specifics of Ukhov's situation, but is seems realistic to assume that being an elite international athlete in Russia means submitting to that system.
                        In the USA there are many, many examples of athletes, coaches and corporate sponsors who have knowingly conspired to violate rules all on their own, even without the added pressure of a strong central government leaning in to encourage and facilitate the cheating.
                        Per was not saying he disagreed with the Ukhov's OG win being vacated or that he approved of cheating.
                        He said he was disappointed that such a spectacular athlete, and one of his favorite characters, was involved. Me, too.
                        Me three. I loved him, because he was different than all the others.
                        Deserved gold for Kynard but this now feels like the 2016 women's final. At least, in Kynard's case the best jumpers were ALL there, unlike 2016 where the world #1 couldn't compete. But, both finals are the worst in the last 40 years.
                        Last edited by gmak; 11-24-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by gmak View Post

Deserved gold for Kynard but this now feels like the 2016 women's final. At least, in Kynard's case the best jumpers were ALL there, unlike 2016 where the world #1 couldn't compete. But, both finals are the worst in the last 40 years.
                          correct me if I am wrong but didn't he also say Ukhov would always be Olympic champ in his mind....drug cheats are not Olympic champs!

Comment

• Originally posted by gmak View Post

New rules if you like the cheater right? I see nowhere that government sponsored cheating should absolve the actual cheater...the Nazis war criminals tried and failed with this defense in Nuremberg.

Comment

• Originally posted by beebee View Post

New rules if you like the cheater right? I see nowhere that government sponsored cheating should absolve the actual cheater...the Nazis war criminals tried and failed with this defense in Nuremberg.
                              Comparing taking PEDs with Nazis is quite a stretch....

Comment

Comparing taking PEDs with Nazis is quite a stretch....
                                Just an analogy sir...blaming one's government as a justification when they could have simply declined.

Comment

Working...
                                X