Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 OG: m5000–Gebremeskel leads Q to final at 13:15.15

After the crazy results in the men's 1500m anything might happen.
    Also I share a sneaky feeling about Lomomg in anything but a fast race; far more likely for a slowish pace and a mad final 4 laps; depends on the moment of the day and who of half a dozen guys feels the strongest, certainly not to do with the best.
    Lagat, Rupp, Mo, Gebremeskel , my choice in the prediction contest I'm in.
    As for the Kenyans who must be feeling sick, maybe somebody from their guys will do the opposite of a slow lead and do a maddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
      Farah and Rupp admit they are tired from 10K, so they will prefer a slow pace.
      Was that from a TV interview or online? Salazar had talked like they were feeling real chipper, better than before the 10K.

Comment

realize that moe and rupp did not have the mental frame of mind to blast the last 200m, but to preserve and sprint only out of necessity.

you should not change your picks based on the heats.

heat 1 and heat 2 had the same times for km2-3-4-5 and last 400m.

moe was most probably instructed to come from behind on the #3 or 4 guy in the last 100m.
        and rupp the same thing except to be aware at the time at the bell and if he saw coming into the final straight 13.00 ish on the clock, to just coast in in #6-8 place.

for the guys that count in the final, most ran the same type of effort.

this one is tough to pick as it is real tough to gauge the athletes sharpness.

the picks, moe, rupp, lagat, #1 ethiopian.

kenya nothing.

Comment

[quote=Bruce Kritzler]
          Originally posted by "Conor Dary":2i3zgeiz
          I loved that 1984 5k. The distance guys burned off the milers (Walker, Flynn, Coughlan?).
          [/quote:2i3zgeiz]

Aouita was a distance guy??

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
            Originally posted by TN1965
            Farah and Rupp admit they are tired from 10K, so they will prefer a slow pace.
            Was that from a TV interview or online? Salazar had talked like they were feeling real chipper, better than before the 10K.
            Ahh, front page article. (I bet his wife hopes that underwear they referenced was fleece-lined!)

Comment

[quote=kevinsdad][quote=Bruce Kritzler][quote="Conor Dary":2ww6r8yw]
              I loved that 1984 5k. The distance guys burned off the milers (Walker, Flynn, Coughlan?).[/quote][/quote]

Aouita was a distance guy??[/quote:2ww6r8yw]

Aouita had by far both the best 800m and 5000m times....mile...3000, 10k...

[url="http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographies/country=mar/athcode=91/index.html"]http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biographie ... index.html[/url]
              and i believe that Aouita talked at some point about attempting both the 800m and 10k records....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Dh8kdnd2c
              10000 - got a ride the whole way.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsNuzBGZHo0

Comment

[quote=kevinsdad]
                Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                Originally posted by "Conor Dary":tvk84o72
                I loved that 1984 5k. The distance guys burned off the milers (Walker, Flynn, Coughlan?).
                Aouita was a distance guy??[/quote:tvk84o72]

IIRC, he was the first man to break 13 minutes, and won the 5K in '84 and '87, then ran the 800 in '88.
                Cheers,
                Alan Shank

Comment

because of their big race where so many went sub 12:50, ethopians and kenyans will think they can win a fast one.

that means someone is going to have to rabbit. who?

i think the boys, moe, lagat and rupp can ride the train and be set up perfectly.

Comment

[quote=kevinsdad]
                    Originally posted by "Conor Dary":2bnerdhg
                    Aouita was a distance guy??[/quote:2bnerdhg]

Aouita didn't lead till the last lap. I was referring to the guys who pushed the pace.

Comment

[quote=kevinsdad]
                      Originally posted by "Conor Dary":111rchsg
                      Aouita was a distance guy??[/quote:111rchsg]

He had the best range for his day (or any day, maybe). He was pretty darn good up to the 10,000 for someone that had a great 800. The biggest hole in the resume was the 3000SC, which he apparently did once.

"Aouita was a versatile middle and long distance runner, excelling at distances between 800 m and 10,000 m during the eighties. He raced and won against the Olympic champions Joaquim Cruz (800 m), Peter Rono (1500 m), John Ngugi (5000 m) and Alberto Cova (10000 m) over their respective main distances. Between September 1983 and September 1990 he won 115 of his 119 races. The defeats were against world champion Steve Cram over 1500 m, Olympic bronze medalist Alessandro Lambruschini over 3000 m steeplechase, Olympic champions Joaquim Cruz and Paul Ereng over 800 m and world champion Yobes Ondieki over 5000 m.

Comment

I thought Iguider looked sharp in the heats. He's only run one 5000m in his career but he utilised his 1500m pace (3:31.47 PB) well on the last lap seeing as he'd just won a bronze medal in the 1500m the night before. If the final goes anything like the past two world championship finals, I think he could have a chance of sneaking a medal.

BTW French distance-running mug Hassan Hirt (knocked out in the heats) has tested positive for EPO.
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

At one time Aouita held all of the metric World records from 1500 to 5000.

About 20 years ago I remember being at a party in Boulder with both Aouita and Arturo Barrios in attendance, and thinking that, hey, we have the metric WR holders from 1500 to 20,000 meters in this one room!

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary

About 20 years ago I remember being at a party in Boulder with both Aouita and Arturo Barrios in attendance, and thinking that, hey, we have the metric WR holders from 1500 to 20,000 meters in this one room!
                            After winning the 5000 in '84 and '87, he decided to double at 800/1500 in Seoul. IIRC, he got a bronze in the 800 but withdrew from the 1500 due to injury. He made some pretty strange statements, as well, although they may have been mis-interpreted into English.
                            Cheers,
                            Alan Shank

Comment

[quote=Alan Shank]
                              Originally posted by "Conor Dary":1bybkbkm

After winning the 5000 in '84 and '87, he decided to double at 800/1500 in Seoul. IIRC, he got a bronze in the 800 but withdrew from the 1500 due to injury. He made some pretty strange statements, as well, although they may have been mis-interpreted into English.
                              [/quote:1bybkbkm]

He seemed like a decent fellow while he lived in Boulder. Pleasant to be around. The most noteworthy I remember is he had a pool table installed in his house he rented in town.

Comment

This race should be fascinating, whatever happens. You've got all these guys with sub-12:50 times, run in a time-trial-type race under ideal conditions. Then you've got Farah, Rupp and Lagat who have shown they can bring down a 52-53 last 400 and have 12:50-mid PBs, with Farah almost certainly capable of sub-12:50. Then you've got a couple of 1500 "graduates", Lomong and Iguider (not exactly a "graduate" -- he won a bronze medal the other day) who could certainly factor in a slow race, but don't have sub-13 pedigrees.

Among this field are the top four, plus the 6th and 9th placers from last year in Daegu, where the race was won in 13:23, with only four+ seconds covering the top 8.

I can envision this race several different ways, but I have no idea which, if any, of them will be realized. The three Ethiopians and the two Kenyans are all sub-12:50 guys, so there could be team racing. The pace could start out slowly, then somebody might try to steal a march, like Ismail Kirui back in '93. It might go medium until four to go, with Farah and/or Rupp running a long drive for home. Or, it could be like the 10,000, a mad dash over the last lap or two.

Farah seems to me the guy who could thrive in any of those scenarios. That's NOT a prediction, BTW. >:-)
                                It's always sort of sad to get to this point in a global championship, that final paroxysm of finals, like the end of a fireworks show; then it's over. Well, except for the men's marathon, of course.
                                Here's hoping everyone enjoys this fascinating race.
                                Cheers,
                                Alan Shank

Comment

Working...
                                X