Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 OG: m5000–Gebremeskel leads Q to final at 13:15.15

Originally posted by Alan Shank
    This race should be fascinating, whatever happens. You've got all these guys with sub-12:50 times, run in a time-trial-type race under ideal conditions. Then you've got Farah, Rupp and Lagat who have shown they can bring down a 52-53 last 400 and have 12:50-mid PBs, with Farah almost certainly capable of sub-12:50. Then you've got a couple of 1500 "graduates", Lomong and Iguider (not exactly a "graduate" -- he won a bronze medal the other day) who could certainly factor in a slow race, but don't have sub-13 pedigrees.

Among this field are the top four, plus the 6th and 9th placers from last year in Daegu, where the race was won in 13:23, with only four+ seconds covering the top 8.

I can envision this race several different ways, but I have no idea which, if any, of them will be realized. The three Ethiopians and the two Kenyans are all sub-12:50 guys, so there could be team racing. The pace could start out slowly, then somebody might try to steal a march, like Ismail Kirui back in '93. It might go medium until four to go, with Farah and/or Rupp running a long drive for home. Or, it could be like the 10,000, a mad dash over the last lap or two.

Farah seems to me the guy who could thrive in any of those scenarios. That's NOT a prediction, BTW. >:-)
    It's always sort of sad to get to this point in a global championship, that final paroxysm of finals, like the end of a fireworks show; then it's over. Well, except for the men's marathon, of course.
    Here's hoping everyone enjoys this fascinating race.
    Cheers,
    Alan Shank
    Alan,

You have had fantastic comments on many topics. Always like to read. Like you have reiterated to some, enjoy the races! To me, this may be the best race of the entire games. So many fabulous athletes and no one knows for sure how it will play out. I don't care if the winning time is 13:40 or 12:40, I just want to see the race. It is going to be one to remember. Personally, I think we will see a barnburner, sub 13, just because I don't think the E. Africans want a sit and kick. Team dynamics to be used. Regardless, we should all enjoy and not worry about the times.

Comment

I dont expect to see MO win but a medal is possible, or probable. As Coe said this morning if Mo has got his head right and does not htink of the race as a bonus to his 10K medal he can win; if he hasnt, he won't win.

The crowd might be making a loud noise. :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Shank
        Farah seems to me the guy who could thrive in any of those scenarios. That's NOT a prediction, BTW. >:-)
        I like Dejen Gebremeskel's chances in any of those scenarios, too. Just because he has run 12:46 doesn't mean he doesn't have a mean kick

It will certainly be interesting to see how Iguider and Ibrahimov fare.

Comment

70-second opening quarter.

Comment

2.55,40 at 1k

Comment

Lopez Lomong takes lead from Farah at 1200m

Comment

Lagat and Rupp running side-by-side in mid-pack, with Lomong still leading through a 4.40 first mile.

Comment

What's the World Record for the FINAL MILE in a 5K race??

:roll:

Comment

Lomong, 7.40 with six to go. Gala on his outside. Major players still in race.

Comment

The IAAF should disqualify the entire field for "lack of bona fide effort" lol
                      There are no strings on me

Comment

Clock with five to go: 8.42,95 (3.000)

Comment

ca. 9.16 for Farah and Rupp through 3200

Comment

Alamirew leading; two 60-point laps.

Comment

Gebremeskel leading with Farah in perfect spot with 1km remaining.

Comment

Time for spectators to wake up, after a BORING race.

Comment

Working...
                                X