Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lane violation

When did lane violation rule become strict?
    I know it is strict at major events (not really at meetings) but since when? Yesterday Canada 4x100 was disqualified for one or two wrong steps, many disqualifications at the Euros this year and in recent years... but when I watch some big races from the past ( men's 400 at OG 1980 for example) they were stepping on the lane in the curve enormously.
    I'm not so familiar with this rule.

Re: Lane violation

Originally posted by pakillo
    but when I watch some big races from the past ( men's 400 at OG 1980 for example) they were stepping on the lane in the curve enormously.
    A great example. Let's see, who won the men's 400 in 1980 in Moscow? Why, it was Viktor Markin a Russian! And there were no lane violations in that race. Shocking!

Of course, the all time great at running in someone's else lane is Pietro Mennea.

Comment

^^^if Markov broke the rule he definitely wasn't the only one in that race. But was there any rule of that kind back then?
      It is just painful to watch when I think of Gwen Torrence at WC 1995.

Comment

To be fair, I have no idea of lane violations in the 1980 race. But there were plenty of shenanigans in those Olympics. Though I don't think they had it down like the Italians did in 1987.

Comment

Originally posted by pakillo
          I know it is strict at major events (not really at meetings) but since when? Yesterday Canada 4x100 was disqualified for one or two wrong steps, many disqualifications at the Euros this year and in recent years... but when I watch some big races from the past ( men's 400 at OG 1980 for example) they were stepping on the lane in the curve enormously.
          I'm not so familiar with this rule.
          That is the definition of a lane violation, sort of like passing out of the zone is the definition of a zone violation.

Remember, the lanes are measured from 20 cm out from the outer edge of the lane, so the presumption is that you should not be able to typically go systematically inside that range, not that you can go on the white line occasionally. Maybe we should allow just a little bit of false starting too (actually, they likely do, but...)

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            Remember, the lanes are measured from 20 cm out from the outer edge of the lane, so the presumption is that you should not be able to typically go systematically inside that range, not that you can go on the white line occasionally. Maybe we should allow just a little bit of false starting too (actually, they likely do, but...)
            Are you serious? The lanes are not measured from the innner edge of the lanes? So if a 400m runner in lane one runs along the inner edge of lane one, s/he will be running less than 400m?

Please clarify.

Comment

That is the definition of a lane violation, sort of like passing out of the zone is the definition of a zone violation.

Remember, the lanes are measured from 20 cm out from the outer edge of the lane,
              Are you sure about that? I thought it was 30 cm.

Comment

Originally posted by rabalac

Are you serious? The lanes are not measured from the innner edge of the lanes? So if a 400m runner in lane one runs along the inner edge of lane one, s/he will be running less than 400m?

Please clarify.
                No one runs on the inner edge. That is why it is 20cm in from the curve in all lanes except lane 1, where is it 30cm.

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Document/Competi ... r_7462.pdf

Comment

Maybe this rule needs amending!
                  How about........

If a runner stepping on the line interferes IN ANY WAY with the runner in the next lane, he or she will be DQ'ed!!

But here the "IN ANY WAY" can lead to arguments and protests!!

Should this interference be ONLY of a PHYSICAL nature, as in the two bodies touching??
                  Or should it include PSYCHOLOGICAL interference, as in the "guilty" athlete interrupting the concentration and focus of the other athlete on his or her race??

I would think the latter would be most obvious in the 110H or 100H races!!

Comment

I think you've missed the point of the rule. It's not to prevent runners from interfering with other runners (although there are rules for that, too), it's to ensure that everyone runs the same distance. Running on or over the line on the curve reduces the distance one has to run.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                      I think you've missed the point of the rule. It's not to prevent runners from interfering with other runners (although there are rules for that, too), it's to ensure that everyone runs the same distance. Running on or over the line on the curve reduces the distance one has to run.
                      Exactly.

Comment

It really isn't that hard to communicate:

The line is NOT part of the lane. So don't step on it! If you do, you've left your lane, which is bad, m'OK? :?

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                          It really isn't that hard to communicate:

The line is NOT part of the lane. So don't step on it! If you do, you've left your lane, which is bad, m'OK? :?
                          Stepping on the outside lane is not bad unless runner interferes with other runner.

It's clear that stepping on or over the inside lane around the turn shortens the distance.
                          The problem is lane violation at meetings which goes without any disqualification (even in this year) and not only that personal records, national records...can be set in those cases but it's also prize money took(stolen) from someone who played by the rule.

Comment

So could some math whiz figure out how much distance one can cut off the race by running right near the edge in the 200 and 400?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp

So could some math whiz figure out how much distance one can cut off the race by running right near the edge in the 200 and 400?
                              20cm • 2? ? 125.6cm

Comment

Working...
                              X