Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpson 2013 Event Question

Does the gold medalist in an event at the World Championships still get a bye into the next World Championships? I'm wondering hypothetically whether Jenny Simpson, if so inclined (which she may not be), (1) could run only the steeplechase at the 2013 USATFs and then, depending on how that turned out and whether she qualifies for the 2013 World Championships steeplechase, (2) use a 1500 bye to decide which event to run in Moscow.

Re: Simpson 2013 Event Question

I opined on this in another thread.....probably the OG 5K thread.
    But here's my take:

Her WC win was a FLUKE!!!
    She outkicked the others in what was essentially a 100 meter race!!
    Her 4:05.40 was 5.50 seconds behind her best, which is in turn more than 3 secs behind the fastest this year!!
    Her 9:12.50 SC is still the AR, and would've challenged for a medal in London!!
    It's still about 11 seconds faster than Emma Coburn's time, with all due respect to Emma!!
    She ran a 15:01 5K on an OT indoors....and it was pretty much a solo run!!
    Bottom line: She has much more potential in the SC and 5K than in the 1500.
    At least for the next couple of years, I think those (BOTH of them!!!) should be her events!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
      I opined on this in another thread.....probably the OG 5K thread.
      But here's my take:

Her WC win was a FLUKE!!!
      She outkicked the others in what was essentially a 100 meter race!!
      Her 4:05.40 was 5.50 seconds behind her best, which is in turn more than 3 secs behind the fastest this year!!
      You do know the Olympic 1500m was just won in 4.10 right...

Comment

I think I remember hearing that Simpson switched events (i.e., dropped the steeple) due to physical problems incurred from running that event.

Comment

The followup posts are interesting, but none of them answer my question about the World Championships and byes.

Comment

Originally posted by CKuykendall
            The followup posts are interesting, but none of them answer my question about the World Championships and byes.
            Yes - she could do what you say. USATF rules say she just has to compete in any event at the Trials

Comment

Here's the paragraph from USATF on qualifying:

"A reigning World Champion who competes at the 2011 USA Track & Field Championships receives an automatic bye into the World Championships for the event in which he or she is reigning World Champion whether or not he or she has achieved the corresponding entry standard. These athletes are not required to compete in the same event in which they are reigning World Champions at the 2011 Outdoor Championships in order to receive the bye. "

As mentioned, Jenny has given up the steeple. Highly unlikely she would return to it at this point. The 5k might be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
              X