Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is The 800m a Sprint?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is The 800m a Sprint?

    I asked because it seems relatively short for a mid distance race.

  • #2
    Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

    If you were to put an adjective behind it, what would it be? ex.: 100m "Dash" 10,000m "Run"

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

      Originally posted by repmujhgih
      If you were to put an adjective behind it, what would it be? ex.: 100m "Dash" 10,000m "Run"

      Run

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

        I don't consider the 800 a sprint. The 400 was once called the 440 yard run, segued into the 440 dash and with the improvement in times has segued in to a sprint.
        I think the 800m has reached the dash phase. When times get down to 1:38xx it will be a sprint.
        Just my entirely subjective arbitrary opinion.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

          for what it's worth, and the internet never lies, this website says everything 800m and below is considered a Dash, which I would consider to be Sprints.

          http://track.isport.com/track-guides...field-glossary

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

            In my opinion (and perhaps this is a formal definition), a sprint is a race that relies on anaerobic exertion. Anything aerobic is not a sprint. A study I once read calculated that the anaerobic exertion limit is somewhere around 300m (270m comes to mind), but I don't believe that's quite correct. It's probably closer to 400m. In any event, 0-300m are definitely sprints, the 400m is on the fence, and everything else is aerobic.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

              Seems reasonable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                I think it depends on the runner. Jock, Rudisha, Johnny Gray, and Solomon are sprinters. Symmonds, Kaki, Coe, and Robby Andrews are mid distance runners.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                  It was for me!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                    Originally posted by MightyBurner
                    Symmonds...are mid distance runners.
                    Symmonds sure LOOKS like he's sprinting every step of the way!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                      Originally posted by MightyBurner
                      I think it depends on the runner. Jock, Rudisha, Johnny Gray, and Solomon are sprinters. Symmonds, Kaki, Coe, and Robby Andrews are mid distance runners.
                      I have always thought it to be more of a Sprint, based on the runners I knew that were running it. The were predominantly 400 runners. But in the international level, it seems more success comes from those that are 800/1500 runners rather than 400/800 runners. So the scale might be tipping it in favor of it being a run.

                      I do like the argument that since it is more aerobic rather than anaerobic that it would also make it a run and not a dash.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                        If the truth be told, the 400 is not a sprint, since everyone paces themselves in this event. However, many folks (eg. Michael Johnson, Tyson Gay) make no attempt to conserve energy in the 200; therefore, I would call it the longest sprint.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                          Originally posted by JRM
                          In my opinion (and perhaps this is a formal definition), a sprint is a race that relies on anaerobic exertion. Anything aerobic is not a sprint. A study I once read calculated that the anaerobic exertion limit is somewhere around 300m (270m comes to mind), but I don't believe that's quite correct. It's probably closer to 400m. In any event, 0-300m are definitely sprints, the 400m is on the fence, and everything else is aerobic.
                          That's the most objective definition I can imagine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                            It's not a sprint and it's not a distance race which is precisely why I think the 800 is one of the most fascinating events in all of sports, not just T&F. Eurosport aired a series prior to the Olympics where they portrayed a number of athletes, including David Rudisha. His coach Brother Colm O'Connell said that he always has to make sure that the training doesn't become too one-sided, you can't focus on sprinting part, but you also can't neglect the distance character of the race. It is always a tough task to find the right balance.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

                              If your best 400 is 44.00, then running 49.5 and 51.5 would be a jog, or cruising, or just running.

                              If your best 400 is 47.50, then running 49.5 first lap would be a sprint!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X