Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is The 800m a Sprint?

I asked because it seems relatively short for a mid distance race.

Re: Is The 800m a Sprint?

If you were to put an adjective behind it, what would it be? ex.: 100m "Dash" 10,000m "Run"

Comment

Originally posted by repmujhgih
      If you were to put an adjective behind it, what would it be? ex.: 100m "Dash" 10,000m "Run"

Run

Comment

I don't consider the 800 a sprint. The 400 was once called the 440 yard run, segued into the 440 dash and with the improvement in times has segued in to a sprint.
        I think the 800m has reached the dash phase. When times get down to 1:38xx it will be a sprint.
        Just my entirely subjective arbitrary opinion.

Comment

for what it's worth, and the internet never lies, this website says everything 800m and below is considered a Dash, which I would consider to be Sprints.

http://track.isport.com/track-guides...field-glossary

Comment

In my opinion (and perhaps this is a formal definition), a sprint is a race that relies on anaerobic exertion. Anything aerobic is not a sprint. A study I once read calculated that the anaerobic exertion limit is somewhere around 300m (270m comes to mind), but I don't believe that's quite correct. It's probably closer to 400m. In any event, 0-300m are definitely sprints, the 400m is on the fence, and everything else is aerobic.

Comment

Seems reasonable.

Comment

I think it depends on the runner. Jock, Rudisha, Johnny Gray, and Solomon are sprinters. Symmonds, Kaki, Coe, and Robby Andrews are mid distance runners.

Comment

It was for me!

Comment

Originally posted by MightyBurner
                    Symmonds...are mid distance runners.
                    Symmonds sure LOOKS like he's sprinting every step of the way!

Comment

Originally posted by MightyBurner
                      I think it depends on the runner. Jock, Rudisha, Johnny Gray, and Solomon are sprinters. Symmonds, Kaki, Coe, and Robby Andrews are mid distance runners.
                      I have always thought it to be more of a Sprint, based on the runners I knew that were running it. The were predominantly 400 runners. But in the international level, it seems more success comes from those that are 800/1500 runners rather than 400/800 runners. So the scale might be tipping it in favor of it being a run.

I do like the argument that since it is more aerobic rather than anaerobic that it would also make it a run and not a dash.

Comment

If the truth be told, the 400 is not a sprint, since everyone paces themselves in this event. However, many folks (eg. Michael Johnson, Tyson Gay) make no attempt to conserve energy in the 200; therefore, I would call it the longest sprint.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                          In my opinion (and perhaps this is a formal definition), a sprint is a race that relies on anaerobic exertion. Anything aerobic is not a sprint. A study I once read calculated that the anaerobic exertion limit is somewhere around 300m (270m comes to mind), but I don't believe that's quite correct. It's probably closer to 400m. In any event, 0-300m are definitely sprints, the 400m is on the fence, and everything else is aerobic.
                          That's the most objective definition I can imagine.

Comment

It's not a sprint and it's not a distance race which is precisely why I think the 800 is one of the most fascinating events in all of sports, not just T&F. Eurosport aired a series prior to the Olympics where they portrayed a number of athletes, including David Rudisha. His coach Brother Colm O'Connell said that he always has to make sure that the training doesn't become too one-sided, you can't focus on sprinting part, but you also can't neglect the distance character of the race. It is always a tough task to find the right balance.

Comment

If your best 400 is 44.00, then running 49.5 and 51.5 would be a jog, or cruising, or just running.

If your best 400 is 47.50, then running 49.5 first lap would be a sprint!!

Comment

Working...
                              X