X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doug5321
    replied
    Re: chelsea hayes signs nike contract, should be long jump C

i think there has been at least one case (maybe michael carter summer school at SMU?) of athletes/s, who set a high school record, AFTER they graduated high school AND had already started classes at the university that signed them to a scholarship.

Leave a comment:

• j-a-m
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    I don't believe that is the case any more. The NCAA meet is now the end-date for CRs of collegians who have used up their eligibility (or have turned pro).
    And it's not like athletes get their marks taken away. If they score a PB after NCAAs, it's still a PB, it's just not an additional record.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied

Originally posted by doug5321
    if the collegiate marks at the NCAA meet, then shouldnt high school records have to be accomplished by the state high school meet of the athlete.
    In a word: no. You may take that up with T&FN, but I agree with them. HSers have not "moved on" (started college) till Aug 31 (typically), while collegians, whether or not they turn pro after the NCAAs, are free agents by definition.
    I agree with T&FN too on accepting HS marks into the summer. In college, their championship meets are nationwide and VERY competitive. In HS, most states have multiple divisions, and many top HS athletes are not going to see _real_ competition until they travel to a summer championship.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied

Guess they overlooked Virgin's 10,000 m, which came in the Olympic Trials, after the NCAAs.

27:59.43 Craig Virgin (Illinois) 06/22/76
    27:59.72 Ian Dobson (Stanford) 05/01/05
    28:03.72 Sean Quigley (La Salle) 04/04/08
    28:04.46 Tim Nelson (Wisconsin) 04/29/07
    28:06.12 Alberto Salazar (Oregon) 06/01/79
    28:08.12 Brad Hauser (Stanford) 05/07/99

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index. ... yyear=2008

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied

if the collegiate marks at the NCAA meet, then shouldnt high school records have to be accomplished by the state high school meet of the athlete.

i did read on the louisiana tech website that hayes 7.10 is the school and conference record and the NCAA best, the NCAA record being shorter than a school record does not make much sense.
    If you wish to see a list of the all-time collegiate best performers.....including all the summer meets through August 31st, I refer you to the FAST Annual (and USATF Media Guide).

Unlike T&FN, they allow marks made during the summer to be included.

However, T&FN only accepts mark up to and including the NCAA championships!!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

In a word: no. You may take that up with T&FN, but I agree with them. HSers have not "moved on" (started college) till Aug 31 (typically), while collegians, whether or not they turn pro after the NCAAs, are free agents by definition.

Leave a comment:

• doug5321
    replied

i did read on the louisiana tech website that hayes 7.10 is the school and conference record and the NCAA best, the NCAA record being shorter than a school record does not make much sense.

Leave a comment:

• aaronk
    replied

track and field news allows marks to count until august 31st of senior year as long as the mark is BEFORE the athlete turns pro.
    I don't believe that is the case any more. The NCAA meet is now the end-date for CRs of collegians who have used up their eligibility (or have turned pro).
    T&FN allows for HIGH SCHOOL records to be set through August 31 of a graduated senior's year.....unless they've already begun competing for their college team, or turned pro.

As Marlow said, graduated collegians can only set records through the NCAA's, NOT through August 31!!

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

track and field news allows marks to count until august 31st of senior year as long as the mark is BEFORE the athlete turns pro.

Leave a comment:

• chelsea hayes signs nike contract, should be long jump CR

chelsea hayes turned profesional AFTER the olympics, this was her senior year in college, she went 7.10 in the trials (still as an amateur) which is better than JJK's college record of 6.99, track and field news allows marks to count until august 31st of senior year as long as the mark is BEFORE the athlete turns pro. congratulations to chelsea hayes on her college record. http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/ ... ro-contrac
Working...
X