Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morgan Uceny's falling problem [split]

Originally posted by bobguild76
    I don't fault Morgan Uceny for not getting up and finishing the race. Nor do I fault her for "wrong" tactics. Where should she have been? On the rail? Out in front? She is no dummy, and she ran in a manner she felt would best position her to win the race, as did most other competitors in the race.
    In an extremely slow pace like that, I'd assume out in front is the safest place to avoid a fall.

Has there been any runner who was tripped from behind while running out in front at a major championship?

Re: ¶2012 OG: w1500–Asl? Çak?r (Turkey) 4:10.23

This is what I picture when someone thinks an elite athlete shoud get up and finish.

"Wow that quitter so and so....hey honey bring me another beer will ya?"

Comment

Originally posted by TN1965
      In an extremely slow pace like that, I'd assume out in front is the safest place to avoid a fall.
      Maybe, though if you're in front and in lane one, you better be ready to respond to anyone coming around you, otherwise, if two go by and another couple reach your shoulder, you're in a box. Maybe no big deal if it's the first 800, but if it's getting closer to the bell, that could spell trouble. Also, it's like driving a car on the freeway. If you're going 65 and everyone else is going 70, you're constantly having to respond to (or be aware of) stuff coming up from behind you where you can't see them as well. I'd rather be going a bit faster than other folks (within legal/reasonable limits) and therefore dealing with cars in front of me that I can plainly see. She wasn't in a bad spot heading into the bell, right flank was open, she was in about 7th (?) so had a good bit of the field under surveillance ahead of her and could see what they were up to.

Comment

Originally posted by slowjo
        This is what I picture when someone thinks an elite athlete shoud get up and finish.

Funny, did you check out her FB page? There actually was one guy that went there simply to say "Quitter" and he looks exactly like overweight beer-drinking trash.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
          Originally posted by slowjo

Funny, did you check out her FB page? There actually was one guy that went there simply to say "Quitter" and he looks exactly like overweight beer-drinking trash.
          Ha! Really? No I have not been to her page.

Okay who here posted that? :wink:

Comment

Morgan Uceny's falling problem [split]

Originally posted by bobguild76
            I don't fault Morgan Uceny for not getting up and finishing the race. Nor do I fault her for "wrong" tactics. Where should she have been? On the rail? Out in front? She is no dummy, and she ran in a manner she felt would best position her to win the race, as did most other competitors in the race.

Has there been any runner who was tripped from behind while running out in front at a major championship?
            Given the chain of events here, yes, it could have lead to her falling as the person behind her clipped her trailing foot and knocked it in to her other leg. She was essentially completely clear on the outside positioned for a clean run. It took someone else's leg being put out of place to send her down, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
              Maybe, though if you're in front and in lane one, you better be ready to respond to anyone coming around you, otherwise, if two go by and another couple reach your shoulder, you're in a box. Maybe no big deal if it's the first 800, but if it's getting closer to the bell, that could spell trouble. Also, it's like driving a car on the freeway. If you're going 65 and everyone else is going 70, you're constantly having to respond to (or be aware of) stuff coming up from behind you where you can't see them as well. I'd rather be going a bit faster than other folks (within legal/reasonable limits) and therefore dealing with cars in front of me that I can plainly see. She wasn't in a bad spot heading into the bell, right flank was open, she was in about 7th (?) so had a good bit of the field under surveillance ahead of her and could see what they were up to.
              If she did anything wrong tactically I think it was that she didn't accelerate with the others in front of her as they went. She may have wanted to wait until the backstretch to go but had she accelerated she might have avoided the trip.

Comment

Uceny falls three years in a row, this is from 2010.

The fall occurs ~1:28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7ZNB0Jatw

Comment

Good work. Maybe she should go into bowling. Uceny looked like the no. 10 pin knocking down the others for a spare.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                    Uceny falls three years in a row, this is from 2010.

The fall occurs ~1:28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7ZNB0Jatw
                    Some of the comments have been that she puts herself in a bad position by not being on the rail yet that is exactly where she was at in this video. Maybe after this race she was determined NOT to run there because of this.

Comment

3 years running. I would say someone has a balance problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                        Or a stride 'problem' that makes her more likely to be clipped.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          Whatever it is I would be pretty gunshy at this point.

Comment

Re: Morgan Uceny's falling problem [split]

I certainly hope that Morgan runs well in Stockholm, because if she doesn't she'll get whined on. Big time. Go Morgan!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                              That was what I was thinking. Does she have a high back-kick? It looked like someone clipped her recovery foot , so she couldn't get it back underneath her?

Sure looked like it was totally not her fault. Had it been a semi, they might have advanced her.
                              Very, very sad!

Comment

Working...
                              X