Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McWilliams to go pro?

"Word is McWilliams could be looking at a shoe deal close to the reported $1.5 million Nike paid former prep
    phenomenon Alan Webb, who's yet to make a move on the international scene."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/w ... .shooting/

Re: McWilliams to go pro?

Agents may be calling, but until it's Nike on the other end of the line, don't waste your time talking to them.

IMHO no shoe company is willing to spend anyting more than chump change on an American woman who is still more than 5 seconds from being remotely an international force (and almost 10 seconds from being a threat for Oly gold).

Comment

$1.5m? LMAO!
      If Nike ponied up that amount for someone who has pb's of 2.02.74 & 4.06.75 (and I had to look that up as I'd never heard of her) they'd be out of their minds, especially after wasting their money on Webb.

Comment

If you read the article, she has a faster time in the 800 meters that what you looked up from this past weekend:

"So it's no surprise the agents turned up the heat after McWilliams cruised to conference records in both the 800 (2:01.00) and 1,500 (4:09.19) last weekend at the SEC Championships in Oxford, Miss. Both marks are the fastest by an American this season and her 1,500 time ranks as the year's world-leading time."

Comment

Yep...I stand corrected (looked at her USATF profile, actually)...still, come on, lets get real.

Comment

let's say its a 5 year contract... that's 300k a year. that's nothing for nike. They probably spend that much to redo the bathrooms at corporate headquarters. In the age of 100 million dollar contracts (or in A-Rod's case, much more) you think 1.5 mil is too much to spend on an up and coming American track star? That's why our sport is in shambles. Low expectations.

Comment

IMHO no shoe company is willing to spend
              >anyting more than chump change on an American woman who is still more than 5
              >seconds from being remotely an international force (and almost 10 seconds from
              >being a threat for Oly gold).

Are you saying she has to run 1:51 to be a threat for an Oly Gold :-) If she can run under 2:00 and close to 4:00 then I would say she is world class and a potential Oly finalist. And I think it's quite possible she will do both this summer.

From a marketing standpoint, she's a front runner which is a positive. Plus she already on Sports Illustrated's (albeit SI.com) radar. That definitely won't hurt her marketability.

Comment

>$1.5m? LMAO!
                If Nike ponied up that amount for someone who has pb's of
                >2.02.74 & 4.06.75 (and I had to look that up as I'd never heard of her) they'd
                >be out of their minds, especially after wasting their money on Webb.

For a woman, once you look at her corrected times mentioned after this post, she is basically at the same point in her career as Webb was when he got his contract. Obviously, if you think Webb was a waste of money, you would think she is but Webb's case makes the case for her no matter what you think of it.

Comment

McWilliams would be a "huge" name in terms of identifying Nike, or whatever rival shoe company signs her, with an athlete who will be a "star" to the sizeable market of U.S. high school cross country and track distance runners. Not saying she's a great xc runner, which she's not, but that the HS xc crowd does follow U.S. women milers.

Distance runners familiar to U.S. kids are good for sales because they promote the brand to a market that goes through several pairs of training flats each year; same thing doesn't happen with spikes.

Beyond that, let's face it, the bulk of the "average Joe" running shoe market doesn't follow track anywhere near close enough to know many names or the relative excellence of athletes across event lines, although it wouldn't hurt sales for them to surf across U.S. track meet telecasts in which McWilliams appears and see the woman who just won was wearing brand X.

Track & Field News Weekly Roundup

Top homepage posts for the week ending 05/29/2019:

Excerpts:

NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas

THE EBB & FLOW of the battle for the NCAA women’s team title this year has been fascinating. Chart 1:... Read More

The post NCAA Women’s Formchart #5 — USC By 1 Over Arkansas appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over

IN OUR FIRST chart of the year, Florida was an 8-point favorite over SEC rival LSU for the team title.... Read More

The post 2019 NCAA Men’s Formchart #5 — Texas Tech Takes Over appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT

GÖTZIS, AUSTRIA, May 25-26—Damian Warner made history by becoming only the third athlete to win 5 times at Götzis, while... Read More

The post Götzis Multis: World Leaders For Warner & KJT appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team

GULF SHORES, Alabama, May 23-25—The University of British Columbia (UBC) only won 3 events—the 5000, walk and hammer—on the men’s... Read More

The post NAIA Champs — 2 Team Titles To Canadian Team appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF

“I’M STILL IN THE WHIRLWIND,” says Kenny Bednarek. Ever since the Indian Hills frosh led off his mind-boggling 19.82/44.73 double... Read More

The post Kenny Bednarek Planning On 200/400 Double At USATF appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil

MAY 13 brought the sad news of the passing of one of the sport’s truly larger-than-life figures, T&FN’s longtime European... Read More

The post RIP — Roberto Luigi Quercetani, Statman/Historian Nonpareil appeared first on Track & Field News.

Read on »

Comment

You're missing the point: she's a well known (in USA) runner who could sell a lot of shoes to up-and-coming girls, who would love to be like her. It's about marketability, not PR's.

Comment

How exactly is she well known?

Comment

>>For a woman, once you look at her corrected times mentioned after this
                        >post, she is basically at the same point in her career as Webb was when he got
                        >his comtract.>>

Webb's contract had nothing to do with relative times: it had everything to do with his breaking the most iconic record in all of high school track. McWilliams could be 10 seconds faster than Webb-relatively speaking and not have the same impact on the market.

Comment

Webb's contract had nothing to do with relative
                          >times: it had everything to do with his breaking the most iconic record in all
                          >of high school track. McWilliams could be 10 seconds faster than
                          >Webb-relatively speaking and not have the same impact on the market.

Maybe they have decided it was a worthwhile investment(only they would know that) and have decided to try it again for a whole different set of reasons.

Comment

>You're missing the point: she's a well known (in USA) runner who could sell a
                            >lot of shoes to up-and-coming girls, who would love to be like her. It's about
                            >marketability, not PR's.

I don't know how well known she is in the US among the target market of HS girls, but she definitely has great potential from a marketing standpoint. First off, all of the higher-profile mid-distance women in the US are in their 30s (SFH, Teter, Toomey) or awaiting final confirmation of their drug doping (Regina).

Nike needs a fresh new face with the potential to be a force on the world scene. I think McWilliams is a lot closer to world class then Webb was back in 2002/3 when he went pro. If she can break 2 in 800 then she's a potential Olympic medalist.

Plus, she wasn't a phenom in high school which should play even better to the HS/college crowd. It all about selling a dream and she fits the mold.

Comment

I don't know whether a shoe company is actually offering that kind of money or not, but in my opinion she's the brightest middle-distance talents in recent years. Anyone who saw her take apart UCLA's Nilsson last year the NCAA meet know what I mean. I'd predict 1:58/4:02 from her this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X