Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USATF web site

The new look is finally online. Keith, et al, did a great job on the presentation and usability.

BRAVO!

Re: USATF web site

Looks good. Not to be a party-pooper, but now can we move on into other media to boost our sport's sagging fortunes?

Comment

FINALLY!!

Good job to those involved!

Comment

Totally underwhelming.....once again people see change as being an improvement. This "new" site is a change but not an improvement.

It's clear that USATF is clueless about the role/value of design in branding. I was cautiously hoping for a significant improvement to their site based on the comments posted on this board by some folks who had inside info on the changes before the site went live.

Sigh.

Can someone articulate why this "new" site is "better" than the old one??

Comment

Definitely an improvement but nothing great. Tom Borish could've done a much better job.

Comment

ZZ......Since you don't "give a rats ass" about a significant number of events why would you care?
            As Michael says, it's a big improvement in usabilty and presentation. And, as the only people who are likely to use it are folks who do give a rats ass about T&F, what does branding have to do with it?

Comment

Am I the only one who has trouble reading the stuff that's printed in white lettering on a tan background? Like the menu in the upper left part of the home page. What could they be thinking?

Comment

>Totally underwhelming.....once again people see change as being an improvement.
                >This "new" site is a change but not an improvement.

Oh, c'mon! I was going to say that the design work still isn't all that great, but I held back because beggars can't be choosers. Yes, is IS a change and yes it IS an improvement too. It's still not the best that the site could be, but it's unquestionably an improvement of what they had before.

Many designers experienced in doing athletics sites could have done a better job (myself, Tom Borish, webpage.ca, etc....) but whoever did this would have done it on a very tight budget with not much to work with, so you've gotta hand it to them.

Comment

Site is different than previous site. Some technical and viewing issues, but much is dissimilar to previous model. I have already stated my beef with USATF:s media and web communication.

Comment

I guess it's all relative. Site is an improvement from the old site, but then again the old site wasn't very good.

There are also some problems when they ported over info to the new site. For example, here are the full results from last year's Outdoor Championships:

http://www.usatf.org/events/2003/USAOut ... s_open.asp

We got places but no times.

Comment

Who cares what it looks like, so long as it remains practical? As Donald Sutherland said to Robert Ryan in (trivia question), "Very pretty, but can they fight?"

Comment

I think it looks "fancier", but that's about it. The color combinations look to have been selected by someone who is color blind, and trying to fit four columns, all of which are fixed width, into a locked-in 800x600 screen format really sucks.

Why can't people adopt useability features that are built into HTML 4.0 and XHTML?

I want a website where if I don't see so well I can adjust the font size from my Internet Explorer view menu. I want a site that automatically adjusts content to the size of my screen, not the size of screen that someone thinks is ideal. I am at 1024x768 right now and will be migrating to 1280x1024 in the next few weeks, and I have to view websites that force me to try and read fonts so small I need a magnifying glass? Whose width is only 62.5% of the width of my display?

So many people get caught up into bells and whistles, but what people want are usabiliity. Sites that load quickly, contain lots of valuable information accessed within 2-3 mouse clicks, and which are readable and clearly designed.

The new USATF site fails on pretty much all accounts. For an example of what I'm talking about, take a look at this page. You would like to know what the qualifying standards and qualifying rules are for the US Olympic trials are? Good luck!

http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/Olympi ... ndards.asp

Comment

Did you not scroll down? (Not that that's a great option either)

Comment

It seems what they have done (in order to save time) is to cut-and-paste most of the HTML from the pages and then fit it into the "updated design" template. I suppose this does save them time (in what would have been a pretty big job) but as ycn rightly points out, it can create viewing and usability problems.

The colour scheme isn't all that bad, although maybe it would be more appropriate for a German athletics site (yellow, red and black).

White on yellow is a bad move - makes the text extremely difficult to read. They've done this on the navigation and on the header.

Maybe it would sit better on a 3-column grid as opposed to 4. The 4th column looks too narrow and the content from there could easily be incorporated into any one of the other three columns.

Yes, it's still not the greatest site in the world and it could still do with a lot of work, but it's a start. Like someone said a few weeks ago, with the Olympics swiftly approaching and all of the other stuff going on with USATF right now (court cases, etc, etc...) then the web-site is never going to be at the top of their priority list. There's much room for improvement on the site, but as I said before - it's a start and hats off to whoever did it. I doubt they would have been paid much (wouldn't surprise me if they weren't paid at all), and maybe the USATF people aren't the easiest to work with.

Comment

Scroll down to what? The only part of the page that is supposed to contain information specific to that page is cut off at about two-thirds of the width of the information. I can't see any of women's A and B standards, and the qualification guidelines and such are similarly cut off.

And almost 22% of the right side of my screen is white space. And I can't read the white on light ochre menus, and the text is too small. I can't do anything about any of that. Presumably someone could, if the bought Jacob Nielson's book on usability and actually USED the information contained therein.

Take a look at grc.com. Can you see the difference? That isn't the best-designed website or even close. But the information fills the width of my screen, and I can read the text. If the text is too small to me, I can go to the view menu and adjust the text size to fit my eyes.

It's a big improvement, and like I say, that is just a fairly well-designed website, not a great one.

Comment

Working...
                              X