X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Harry Aikines-Aryeetey too muscular

Well, is he??
    http://www3.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/DKB+ ... 5SR4zl.jpg

Harry has a very impressive physique but everytime I see him race he looks so uncomfortable with all that muscle mass. Yes I do know that Harry will probably never be one of the top sprinters but he's young and can still improve. I would like to see him run sub 10. Do you think he'd run faster if he would to lose some of his bulk?? I always felt the same way about Dwain Chambers.

Darren Campbell had this to say about Harry

“In my humble opinion, he must watch out for becoming too muscular.

“Athletics is about being athletic, being flexible and being relaxed and the more muscle that you have the more muscle there is to get tense.

“Sprinting is all about staying relaxed and so, while I definitely feel he has got all the attributes to be successful, he needs to keep an eye on not bulking up too much.”

“If you bulk up too much it can be detrimental. There are enough examples out there about what you need to do and how you need to correct yourself.”

Re: Is Harry Aikines-Aryeetey too muscular

Below is a youtube video of Harry wining the mens 100m at the 2006 World Junior Championships in Beijing. Yohan Blake was third in that race.

Alot was expected of Harry then. It never materialized. Yohan on the other hand exploded in 2011 and 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RysQZVEeysk

Comment

My guess is that Harry AA is a probably a little too bulky, but it depends on the athlete. As jammmin said, Yohan Blake exploded in 2011 and 2012, and Blake's rise to the most elite level involved adding significant muscle mass for overall body strength, so it seems that without the increase in bulk he wouldn't be running the times he's running today. Bolt's major breakthrough in 2008 came after spending significant time in the weight room also, as evidenced by the noticeable improvement in his body muscle mass and definition in 2008 when compared to 2007. I think only experimentation will tell if losing some bulk will make Harry faster, or if the associated loss of strength will instead negatively affect his explosiveness and speed.. (But if he'd been a lot skinnier, the US might have medaled in the men's 4x1 in Daegu, so I think it would be a great idea to put him on a Melba toast and water diet for a month or two..) :wink:

Comment

The shapes of Harry A-A, Simeon Williamson, and MLF all don't look right for a sprinter who wants to compete at the highest level....

Something is not quite right in the coaching of sprinters in the UK.
        My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

If Harry A-A had run sub-9.95 or sub-20, or won an individual medal in a global championship (non-junior, of course) I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it, his muscle mass seems to work for him, like John Regis.

But he's not like that. After having been a world youth and junior champion, now at age 24 he still hasn't run faster than 10.10 or 20.46, and has never reached an Olympic or WC final as an individual.

So yes, I'd say he needs to lose at least 15 or 20 pounds, until and unless his performances say otherwise. Or try out for the NFL.

Comment

Weight is the bane of all athletics

Comment

He looks just as built as Shawn Crawford in his heyday and he managed to get much speed then, so I don't know. Maybe Aryeetey is just as good as he will ever get whether over-Muscular or not.

Comment

:shock: I was not familiar with Harry but he makes David Oliver look like a 90 pound weakling.

Comment

HAA has always been a big unit, even as a schoolboy. His current size doesn't surprise me, but it certainly doesn't seem to help.

Comment

I remember standing next to him in Birmingham when he was about 16. He was ginormous.

He'd just got bigger and bigger and now quite frankly looks ridiculous and isn't getting any faster at all.

Someone needs to intervene.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                      I remember standing next to him in Birmingham when he was about 16. He was ginormous.

He'd just got bigger and bigger and now quite frankly looks ridiculous and isn't getting any faster at all.

Someone needs to intervene.
                      He's also short which makes it even more obvious

Apparently he's been told many times but insists he doesn't do too many weights !!
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

his muscles are fine; it's his name that drives me crazy.

Comment

People develop at different rates and HAA was an early developer, he was a man racing boys. There are loads of examples of male and female sprinters who've experienced this.

I think he's trained by Michael Khmel who led Matt Shirvington to 10.03 at 20, which Matt never bettered and was injured for most of his career. It's a speed power based programme so the size it not surprising.

Today's sprint stars are complete sprinters racing 100-400m and perhaps a greater focus on technique and the 200m would benefit him. You only have a number of years you can compete and train and if you're not getting the results youve got to change something.

Williamson and MLF are both carrying excess weight and while injured from time to time, conditioning And nutrition must come into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
                            People develop at different rates and HAA was an early developer, he was a man racing boys. There are loads of examples of male and female sprinters who've experienced this.

I think he's trained by Michael Khmel who led Matt Shirvington to 10.03 at 20, which Matt never bettered and was injured for most of his career. It's a speed power based programme so the size it not surprising.

Today's sprint stars are complete sprinters racing 100-400m and perhaps a greater focus on technique and the 200m would benefit him. You only have a number of years you can compete and train and if you're not getting the results youve got to change something.

Williamson and MLF are both carrying excess weight and while injured from time to time, conditioning And nutrition must come into it.
                            Simeon was the size of a house this year and still managed 4th at UK trials

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dwai ... NZGill.jpg

this says both a lot about his natural talent and the poor quality of our trials
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Big contrast between Williamson and Chambers in that image, especially considering that Dwain is pretty solid in his build.

Comment

Working...
                              X