Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwers Are My Favorites Now

They compete almost every week in the season and the elites aren't afraid to challenge each other. I wish we could say the same about athletes in other events.

Re: Throwers Are My Favorites Now

Not just throwers. The same is basically true for field eventers in general.

Comment

Especially throwers though. Long jumpers, high jumpers, and pole vaulters seem to duck each other occasionally, but you're right that they aren't afraid of each other.

Maybe it's the solitary nature of the competition? Competing for marks instead of directly competing against someone next to you.

Comment

Not to say that ducking doesn't exist, but the demand and resultant appearance fees for most "marquee" field eventers are also low enough that meets can afford more of them (and they can't afford to skip many meets).

Also, field eventers are not as likely to be competitive across multiple events, which again increases the necessity to compete in the fewer meets where their events are held.

Comment

Throwers have been my favorites ever since I started working at T&FN and began interviewing world-class athletes. The amount of introspection and ability to explain how their event works, and how it ties into their life as a whole when expressed by a thrower stands out.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            The amount of introspection and ability to explain how their event works, and how it ties into their life as a whole when expressed by a thrower stands out.
            I think this is all true.
            My dad, a Bay Area sportswriter back in the day, knew quite a few of the Big People and gh's observations confirm what I learned from my own limited exposure early on.
            Since then I've appreciated their deep technical knowledge of many aspects of T&F, and I believe throwers and ex throwers can be some of the best coaches out there for any event.
            It has also always struck me how much throwers and distance runners have in common -- from our often introspective solitary toil to the vast quantities of food we are able to consume.
            Yay for throwers!

Comment

I mean, how can someone hate Reese Hoffa? He looks like a big teddy bear who happens to be one of the greatest athletes on the planet. He also is a speed cuber. You can't beat that with a stick.

Comment

Working...
              X