X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

Running well in a solo rabbited race is a gulf apart
    >from running three rounds with nobody else doing the dirty work. I'm by no
    >means saying he can't win; but to annoint him as the No. 1 pick at this point
    >is, methinks, a tad premature.

Gary-

Were we watching the same race? He ran solo? What about Lunn, Stember, Sullivan and the others 3+ secs. behind him. The only reason he was running solo was because nobody else was as fast as he was. Sure he had a bit of help the first 8 but the last 7 is very hard going it alone in front, and I beleive he actually increased the lead running from the front where as the others (who had company to push and pull) fell further back.

Granted there is time for the others to improve before the trials. If the race was run today, however, he would be the clear favorite...no doubt. We will see how the next 7 weeks play out but I don't haven't seen anyone else (except perhaps Krum or veterens like McMullen or Sorenson) who are willing or able to give what it takes.

With all that Alan has been through the past three years I think we will now see consistent solid performances. He is undoubtably newly inspired, confident and feeling that the weight of the world has been lifted. And, with the weight of the world off his shoulders he will be running much lighter - and faster.

Comment

I still don't understand why Lunn and Stember did not at least make an effort to keep up with Webb. Remember Lunn ran a respectable 3:38 this year.
      What is even stranger was all this talk of the A standard before the race and then the subsequent 3:40+ performance that followed.

Comment

All I can figure is they were keying on Sullivan and not running for the standard, thinking Webb would come back.

They were racing typical US championship type racing - tactical - not thinking about time. While that is o.k. to be tactical in a championship race or to be tactical at 3:35-36 like Scott, Spivey Walker etc. used to be to totally disregard the watch in an meet like this is (now obviously) stupid.

Again, it is this type of racing and this type of thinking (engrained in them by NCAA races) that has gotten the US in the muck it is in. Webb is thinking differently. He doesn't want to accept mediocrity.

Comment

>I still don't understand why Lunn and Stember did not at least make an effort
          >to keep up with Webb. Remember Lunn ran a respectable 3:38 this year.

Good question. Pace was not all too difficult for Lunn - especially compared with his 3.38,96:

1500: I–1. Lunn (Nik) 3:38.96 (AL) (59.0, 59.3 [1:58.3], 58.7 [2:57.0], 42.0) (28.0, 56.3, 1:55.5).

Comment

I think the rest of the field just let Webb get away, not believing he was capable of 3:35.

As to projecting who's a favorite to make the Athens squad, Webb has made a big move into the picture.

I assume Webb 3:35 hasn't included much speed work.

Prior to this past weekend, I would NOT have included Webb on the Athens squad.

Now, he's got a better than 50/50 shot.

I do have some reservations about his tactical skill getting through the rounds, but I believe Webb has shown a great deal, and there are others with more nagging questions.....

Now if Webb was a Stanford linked guy, wonder what some of our west coast brethren would be saying about webb now.......??

All in fun guys :; !!

Comment

Ok, so I:m thinking of working on the house, and choose to go to Bauhaus -- the German-owned Home Depot equivalent here in Sweden. I find what I am looking for on the website (special on front doors), and peek at what:s new. Lo and behold, I find this:

http://www.bauhaus-ag.de/?cat=595&id=5561

Die große US-Mittelstreckenhoffnung Alan Webb scheint sich langsam der Weltspitze anzunähern. Nach seinen 3:35,71 Minuten über 1.500 Meter hat er in Carson nun die Olympianorm erreicht.

Comment

"Die große US-Mittelstreckenhoffnung Alan Webb scheint sich langsam der Weltspitze anzunähern. Nach seinen 3:35,71 Minuten über 1.500 Meter hat er in Carson nun die Olympianorm erreicht."

I took German in college - here goes:

The great US middle distance hope, AW, seems to be slowly nearing world-class (World's top). After his 3:35 in the 1500 in Carson, he has reached the Olympic [A] standard.

Comment

If you were in Germany and spoke textbook english, you would state:

" Big US-middle trail hope Alan Webb seems to approach slowly to the world point. After his 3.35,71 minutes more than 1,500 meters he has reached in Carson now the Olympic norm. "

Comment

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein.

Comment

" Big
                      >US-middle trail hope Alan Webb seems to approach slowly to the world point.
                      >After his 3.35,71 minutes more than 1,500 meters he has reached in Carson now
                      >the Olympic norm. "

Ahh! Pennsylvania Dutch--i'd recognize it anywhere! :-)

Comment

What started all this hype:

http://dragonblades.no-ip.com/videos.html

Comment

I said a few months back, the guys who make the 1500m. team were keeping quiet and training well. My prediction was:
                          Webb
                          Hall
                          Stember

We'll see which, if any, make me eat it.
                          I have the feeling a certain bongo-playing dude with a goatee training again his ass off may throw a wrench in the works.

Stember might be discovering the difference between Lananna (stamina) and Galigano (speed)...both good coaches, but is the fit the right one?

What a great suspensefull event this is shaping up to be! SEE YOU IN SACTO!!

Comment

>If you were in Germany and spoke textbook english, you would state:

> Big US-middle trail hope Alan Webb seems to approach slowly to the world point. After his 3.35,71 minutes more than 1,500 meters he has reached in Carson now the Olympic norm.

No, that would be an internet translation engine's response. A textbook would get it right.

Comment

> No, that would be an internet translation engine's response. A textbook would get it right.

Intersting. My german friend (with no sports ties or interests) translated that for me in her own words.

Comment

here ya go, a little meat for the lions

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... ight_x.htm

Comment

Working...
                                X