Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

Very pleased to see Webb run so well. He went after the time and ignored the competition who were playing it safe or maybe just not fast enough to go with him. Maybe they thought he would come back...

Lincoln ran pretty well for a steeple guy. Lunn? Stember? I expected a closer race for such a deep field.

Go Webb!
    In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

Comment

Webb,s "comeback" is what USA track needs; a white star in THE glamour event. Suggestion , ALAN ,get some Rogaine, you look like David Eisenhauer.

Comment

Webb is listed as racing in the 1500 in Hengelo against Lagat and El Gerrouj on 5/31/04. He's not up to their standards yet, but it would be a good one to watch if he goes and you're a Webb fan.

Comment

> Lunn? Stember? I expected a closer race for such a deep field.<

You hit the nail on the head. I was astonished to see Webb doing what he did. That was fantastic. But just as significant is the fact that Lunn, Stember and the rest of them had the perfect race set up for doing what Webb did and they didn't come close.

I'm afraid that all of those who have deplored the mediocre state of the USA in the men's 1500 this year were exactly right.

But it was a great day for Webb, who is clearly not part of the problem. Perhaps one of these days we'll see something similar from Gabe. I'm not kidding.

Comment

>Webb,s "comeback" is what USA track needs; a white star in THE glamour event.
            >Suggestion , ALAN ,get some Rogaine, you look like David Eisenhauer.

It's not that the US needs a white star in the 'mile', we just need a star. Holman looked like the goods, Falcon ... but they blew up. Stember and Gabe don't have enough raw material and Lassiter seems to be a mental case.

Webb may have the mental toughness. He just went for it, while everyone sat on their asses. They were thinking Webb would falter, because they were still picturing the injury suffering, ill with appendix problems Webb of the last couple of years. The kid looks like he has three more seconds in him this season. He should run some fast 800's if he gets the chance, in Europe.

Yes, he's bald. He's built a lot like Ovett, and balding early like him also. Hopefully he will demonstrate as much talent and racing savvy as Steve.

Comment

"Webb,s "comeback" is what USA track needs; a white star in THE glamour event."

You really don't get it, do you, Satch? If you don't want race to be an issue, why do you always make it an issue?

Comment

Webb looked so fit! He was far less breathless immediately after his race, when interviewed, than Gail Devers was after her less-than-13" hurdles race. Reminds me of how fit he was as a high school senior after running so well in Cross Country. Really pays off in Track season.
                But, as someone else said, how could everyone else in the field drop off a 58+ pace for the first lap.
                And - wow, the perfect pace-setter - fast enough and very large for Webb to tuck in behind.

Comment

>"Webb,s "comeback" is what USA track needs; a white star in THE glamour
                  >event."

You really don't get it, do you, Satch? If you don't want race to
                  >be an issue, why do you always make it an issue?>>

It's not an issue if no one responds to him.

Comment

Question for the historians.

Other than indoor times, I don't recall any 1500's/miles this early in the season that were as fast.

Is there any data on this to confirm or prove me completely wrong?

Comment

>Webb looked so fit! He was far less breathless immediately after his
                      >his race, when interviewed, than Gail Devers was after her less-than-13"
                      >hurdles race.
                      And did you see his arms? Looks like he's been doing a lot of lifting.

He has definitely thrown down the gauntlet!

Comment

I DON'T always mention race but try to say things others only think. Racial diversity in almost area is healthy and I AM A FAN of almost anyone who can make track more popular. A WHITE 100 m guy , another glamour event,would also be nice but not very likely. SATCH,I predicted Calvin would win 400, the voice of wisdom and predictor of the future.

Comment

I DON'T always mention race but try to say things others only think. Racial diversity in almost ANY area is healthy and I AM A FAN of almost anyone who can make track more popular. A WHITE 100 m guy , another glamour event,would also be nice but not very likely. SATCH,I predicted Calvin would win 400, the voice of wisdom and predictor of the future.

Comment

I was also very impressed that Webb seemed perfectly comfortable after running a fast time, and jogged up the track casually jumping over a few hurdles. I think that he's capable of much faster times.
                            As for the others, I think that American competitors at the mile /1500m have to be prepared to run much faster through 1200 meters.
                            Webb just looked fantastic! Gabe is reportedly running the hardest workouts of his life, and it'll be very interesting to see how both of these runners fare later in the summer.
                            By the way, does anyone know when Gabe is planning his first race? Time is running short for him (and others) to post a qualifying time.

Comment

I'd like to see Webb's actual splits. From what I could tell on playing back my video, we had Webb in close attendance to Brown for two laps, with leader times of 58.6, 1:56.5 (57.9), about 2:40 at the bell, 2:53.7 (57.2), 3:35.73 (about 55.7).

Comment

Calvin can win the 400, unfortunately at this point he looks hopelessly outclassed by guys like Williamson and Wariner.

We shall see what happens, but from what I saw today, I don't think he has a chance. For instance, Wariner ran in much worse conditions in Norman, and put up a DQ'd 44.48. And it's approaching a month since he ran that time, and he's been working with his teammate Williamson, who may be the fastest or second fastest 400 guy in the world right now. They will work on the NCAA's together, then train for the Olympics together.

Get ready world, the new generation of blistering fast 400 men has just arrived. A 44.48 might not even place at the US Trials.

Comment

Working...
                                X