• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

Comment

Webb received international press from Germany:s Leichtathletik:

Die große US-Mittelstreckenhoffnung Alan Webb scheint sich langsam der Weltspitze anzunähern. Nach seinen 3:35,71 Minuten über 1.500 Meter hat er in Carson nun die Olympianorm erreicht.

http://www.leichtathletik.de/Dokumente/ ... sp?ID=5561

Comment

>"Webb,s "comeback" is what USA track needs; a white star in THE glamour
        >event."

You really don't get it, do you, Satch? If you don't want race to
        >be an issue, why do you always make it an issue?

For once I have to agree with satch... that some white stars in more running events would be good for track is just a plain fact, not racism. It only becomes racist if people make too big a deal of it. I'll be rooting for some of those white collegians in the 400, not because they are so much white as that it will stimulate interest in the sport by the public.

Now is that racist on anyone's part, be it me, satch, or the public ? Depends on where you draw the line.

So go fast everybody, white, black, yellow, green, blue........

Comment

Is there less interest in the Los Angeles Lakers because there is no great white player?

I seriously doubt it!

Who cares what race or color a person is?

And if it takes a person of one color to bring interest, how fleeting is that interest going to be, anyway?

It would be nice to have more track fans, but not ones that are here today and gone tomorrow.
          "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

You are assuming the entire nation is racist and so 'they' would like a 'great white hope'? Welcome back to Jim Crow.

Comment

I should have realized that discussing this type of subject would just cause PC responses. No more from me other than to say I am quite secure with my own lack of prejudices and feel no need to defend them to anybody.

Comment

>Question for the historians.

Other than indoor times, I don't recall any
                >1500's/miles this early in the season that were as fast.

Is there any data
                >on this to confirm or prove me completely wrong?>>

How about Filbert Bayi 3:32 in February at the Commonwealth Games in New Zealand? Or did you mean U.S. guys?

Comment

"cause PC responses"

ha ha, I get it; those are my initials!

I very much doubt you are racist, but you are still assuming that everyone else is. Why should they care what the color is?

Comment

I think the northern hemisphere record for pre-June is 3:33.52 by Jens-Peter Herold of East Germany at Berlin on May 29, 1992. Bayi ran 3:34.8 in Zanzibar on May 29, 1976. Vladimir Malozyemlin (who?!) of the Soviet Union ran 3:35.4 in Sochi on May 23, 1980.

I think that's the complete list of outdoor, nor-hem guys faster than Webb... but only through 1995, when Mappa & Quercetani published their incrdible 1000-deep performers lists. If somebody else wants to check ATFS Annuals for the decade since, go for it!

Comment

>I think the northern hemisphere record for pre-June is 3:33.52 by Jens-Peter
                      >Herold of East Germany at Berlin on May 29, 1992. Bayi ran 3:34.8 in Zanzibar
                      >on May 29, 1976. Vladimir Malozyemlin (who?!) of the Soviet Union ran 3:35.4 in
                      >Sochi on May 23, 1980.

I think that's the complete list of outdoor, nor-hem
                      >guys faster than Webb... but only through 1995, when Mappa & Quercetani
                      >published their incrdible 1000-deep performers lists. If somebody else wants to
                      >check ATFS Annuals for the decade since, go for it!

look for that to go at hengalo on may 31st they have el g and othors inthe 1500, geb scheduled for the 10k and bekele scheduled for 5 k

Comment

Bottom line would seem to be unless there is something in the last decade that Webb is the fastest American every by that criteria.

Comment

El G 3.49,92 at Prefontaine 29.05.01 -- is that not the fastest in the Northern Hemisphere pre-june?

Comment

That's a mile, not a 15
                            why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

I'm surprised and impressed and will spend the rest of the day eating my hat.

Comment

Yes, he's bald. He's built a lot like Ovett, and balding early like him
                                >also. Hopefully he will demonstrate as much talent and racing savvy as Steve.
                                >

Johnny-

Good comparison with Ovett. It didn't dawn on me until you mentioned it. The visual is true. The difference, of course, is that Ovett was a tremendous, and primarily an 800 guy - and as gutsy as they get. It looks like Alan may have those guts as his confidence returns.

I do hope Webb continues to try to improve his 800 running. It would be invaluable. I'd like to see him at 1:46. This kind of 800 strength combined with his current 5k fitness would be set him up very nicely. As I mentioned before, 3:31-32 may be in the sites for this season.

The trials should be very interesting. Has anyone heard anything about Krum? It would be about time to start seeing something from him. Is he still considering the double?

Comment

Working...
                                X