Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

>That's a mile, not a 15

Duh. What was his en-route split? Plus, are you guys talking outdoors or indoors 1500m?

Comment

I believe the foregoing required a "doh!" not a "duh" :-)

Comment

Can't believe I'm posting about Webb but he did impress me yesterday. However, I'm waiting until I see him in an actual race, not a time trial.

Re: Ovett-that's funny, while I was watching him warm-up it occured to me that he resembled a sort of "Ovett Mini Me"!

Comment

>>Question for the historians.

Other than indoor times, I don't recall
          >any
          >1500's/miles this early in the season that were as fast.

Is there any
          >data
          >on this to confirm or prove me completely wrong?>>

How about Filbert
          >Bayi 3:32 in February at the Commonwealth Games in New Zealand? Or did you mean
          >U.S. guys?>>

I was referring to US guys.

Comment

>I'm waiting until I see him in an actual race, not a time trial.

Mark-

You are hard to please. What did you think of Sullivan and the rest of the crew. I think they were actually in "a race". Unfortunately they were in a race with one another where as Webb was in a "time trial" only with himself. He was obviously in a class by himself yesterday.

I will say he must now prove he can be consistent, and run as well when he is not in front. However, his the'01 Pre race showed this side. His MO until yesterday was to hang and kick. It now appears he has got himself into condition to be able to run hard for 1500m. The real question is - if he had been challenged over the last 400 would he have been able to respond? That is what he will need to learn to do with in the next couple of years to really challenge. Come up with a big closer off of a fast pace.

But it seems each step is going in the right direction. They have a plan that is working wonderfully. Scott knows his shit and Webb beleives in him. They have a coach-athlete chemistry that shouldn't have been separated. Its great to see the magic working again.

Comment

Lunn could find himself in the same position he was a few years ago by not making the world team because he did not have the standard. Lunn will be sandwiched by two A standard guys at the trials.
              It is no longer a foregone conclusion that Lunn will make the Olympic team. Since they don't have the A standard both Berryhill and Lunn are venerable. Stember no longer seems capable of breaking 3:40.

Krummenacker will be running the 800 at the trials. So in truth there are only two American 1500 meter runners with the A standard.

Comment

Through 1995, the U.S. May record was 3:35.84; set at Chapel Hill on May 13, 1995. Lotsa luck trying to name who that was (without looking). He won the race.

Comment

Brian Hyde..that was without looking it up..haha.

Comment

way to go alan webb!!3:35.7 in may is on target to run 3:28-/3:29/-break marees record.
                    <wind was terrible&he ran all by himself>
                    <he has barley just begun speed work!>
                    <krumm-is just training.he ran1:46.0 indoors>

Comment

And made the top section of our Swedish national athletics internet site:

Fast känslomässigt kanske ändå Alan Webbs 3:35.71 på 1500m engagerade hemmapubliken mest. För ett par år sedan hälsades han som en frälsare sedan han slagit Jim Ryuns high schoool-rekord på majlen.

Men sedan har det varit så motigt att han redan avskrivits av de flesta förståsigpåare. Nu vann Webb lekande lätt med 3½ sekund och klarade i blåsten A-kvalgränsen till OS.

http://www.friidrott.se/

http://www.friidrott.se/nyheter/index.a ... het&id=847

Comment

>I believe the foregoing required a "doh!" not a "duh" :-)

No. I think he has it right in this case. I believe "duh" implies the person you are talking to is an idiot whereas "doh" implies that the speaker is an idiot. I'm sure malmo will weigh in shortly and let us all know.

Comment

I still think in miles. What is the 3:35.71 worth?

Comment

Multiply by 1.08, which means 3:52.97.

Which also means (barely, but it's an important psychological hurdle, I'm sure) he's faster than he was in HS (3:53.43).

Comment

Ah, so that was a right multiplier:

215,71 x 1,08 for mile time.

Comment

So 3:35 is a great mark for a world class 5k runner, which is what Webb should be thinking about. But sorry, 3:35 is only fringe WC for the 1500. After his XC performances, he should definitely look into the step up. Others in the world might actually start to fear him.

Comment

Working...
                                X