Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

>Here, I did Laylows job for him. You're welcome, Dan.

Well, that's why Dan gets paid the big bucks...you've got several entries after June 1.

Comment

>Well, that's why Dan
      >gets paid the big bucks...you've got several entries after June 1.

That's why the list is titled "Races in the US.... 'or'..... Before June 1." Answering two separate questions that have been asked here: 1) "What are the fastest 1500s (mile) by Americans on US soil?" And 2) "What are the fastest 1500s (mile) by Americans this early (or before June 1)?"

Comment

>So I'll be eager to see if anyone
        can top this. Wanganui, 2/1/64: Snell 3:44.6 en route to a 3:57.7=13.1!

Auckland, NZ, Dec. 19, 1973--John Walker passed 1500m in 3:48.1, then covered the last 120y in 12.9, to finish in 4:01.0. (Source: The Milers, p. 380)

Comment

Just watched the tape and even though I knew how it was going to end, it just seemed hard to believe that Elmore, trying to steal a page out of Webb's book, would get chased down. I think I know where that gorilla ended up that Webb was referring to that he got off of his back.

Comment

I guess Webb is a hero again. Now it is Lunn and Stember who will get flamed on these boards.

They are already calling Lunn and Stember whimps on Letsrun.

It is so predictable...........

Comment

For the way they ran that race, Lunn and Stember ARE wimps. Or were. May not be in their next races but they certainly didn't inspire any awe by failing to cover in that one.

Comment

Of course, Webb is the hero. He won in a very good time and in an impressive manner. Stember and Lunn are as good as they are. Whimps? I don't know - they only know if they whimped or just aren't fast enough. If they ran to their ability, fine, that's the best they can do (and its much better than I can do). However, if they held back out of fear and left some in the tank, then yes, that is whimpy.

It doesn't matter. Webb has proven himself again. The rest have yet to show anything worthy of signficant praise. They must look inside of themselves and determine if they can do what is needed - what Webb has already done.

Comment

Lunn ran the same race he ran against Stember in the Cardinal Invitational a month ago -- he didn't go with the pace in an effort to get the qualifier (while Stember went for it), he laid back for the win. But Webb didn't come back to him, as Stember did at the Cardinal. With room to run, Webb just kept going --

Surely Lunn is running to his fitness or ability level at this time, or was discouraged by the wind. What will be interesting is whether Webb, with the qualifier, will be willing to run a tactical race at the Trials, hoping for the win but knowing if it's slower than the qualifier, he's already got the time. Or will he push it from the front again? Of course the other's tactics may depend on whether they get the qualifier pre-Trials --

Remind me -- if Webb has the qualifier, but finishes second or third to someone who doesn't have it, he still goes to the Olympics, right?

Comment

>if Webb has the qualifier, but finishes second or third to someone who doesn't have it, he still goes to the Olympics, right?<

If he finishes second or third in the trials, he will go to the Olympics regardless of who finishes ahead of him or behind him, provided at least one other 'A' qualifier participates in the Trials and finishes at least one round of the 1500m. Right now there are two other 'A' qualifiers; of course, there could be more by July.

Comment

Ok people...time to move into present tense! Awesome this Alan Webb, Good Thread has reached 100+ posts. Next race?

Comment

>Ok people...time to move into present tense! Awesome this Alan Webb, Good
                        >Thread has reached 100+ posts. Next race?

what is the webb thread record? 150? 200?

don't think this'll break it, but its a big record to aim for in the summer...

Comment

The good news for Webb is the 3:35 surely hasn't included much sharpening work.

Given a euro race with multiple pacesetters, I would suspect 3:32 is well within his reach.

Cyril ahs pointed out, the old Webb from '01 had a serious ability to accelerate, a gear shift which has made many of his east coast fans, including myself and cyril drool over alan's talent.

Given his strength base, the assumption is we would expect to see his gear shift, and if he indeed has it again, then, Webb will threaten 3:30.

That's in a paced race.

My concern, as I've posted yesterday, is his ability to run tactically successfully, where the pace is slow slow, then a move, or moves are made, with lots of contact.

We need to see Alan succeed in such an environment before I, personally, am totally happy with Alan.

Comment

2.16-1.52 splits for a 4.06 1,600m from high school at districts...plus his 49-second quarter and his 1.49 half in the same meet (something tells me he ran a 47-point relay as well) - the same day. USA nationals will not go out in 2.14, however I believe Alan Webb:s strength and work over the past three seasons will provide him the tools needed to run off a 2.03-2.05 -- and be exceptionally competitive over the next 700m. If he is the strongest and swiftest, he will make it out on top.

I think Alan Webb will run like Hicham El Guerrouj runs: 2nd-3rd-4th in his races...always near the front behind the rabbits and in front of the comp. Alan Webb:s "rabbits" will be anyone leading the USA nationals, and I sincerely believe Alan Webb will stay right in contention.

Comment

Surely both Stember and Lunn must feel some urgency to get the qualifying times. Heck, I don't even think Stember has the Olympic B standard (3:38) yet.
                              In an Olympic year what is the point in running 3:44?

Comment

It's a bit curious when it comes to tactics in the 1500 where the 1st 400 is a 67 or something similarly slow.

Everyone gets bunched up.

In a race like this, where should Webb position himself, no one clearly want's the lead, and everyone's waiting to make a decisive move.

That's the sort of racing environment I want to see Webb in.

If Alan has space to do his running, I think he's a good shot to make the squad.

But I don't know what'll happen if he gets trapped in lane 1 with 500 to go, with several kickers having a better position on his outside.

Comment

Working...
                                X