Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alan Webb - The Good Thread!

Alan Webb has confidence in himself, and confidence in his coach. If Webb:s competition gives him an inch more, they will never know quite what got into Webb; he will be off to the races, and they will be stuck in the gate.

Webb has an self-assurance of knowing he is one of the best American 1,500m runners, and he will head into the USA Olympic Trials as a believer in this: that of having a terrific, legitimate, bonafide opportunity to demonstrate superiority and mastery over his past "failures", move on and move past into world class. I think the psychological dimensions are getting as much attention as the physical faculties in Webb:s training world.

Comment

i dont see any reason to expect webb will be back in a bunched up pack.. are you going by his pre 2001 mile?

the competition was just a wee bit different in that race, compared to what the US trials will be like. not to mention webb is different, likely better.

Comment

>>if Webb has the qualifier, but finishes second or third to someone who doesn't
        >have it, he still goes to the Olympics, right?<

If he finishes second or
        >third in the trials, he will go to the Olympics regardless of who finishes
        >ahead of him or behind him, provided at least one other 'A' qualifier
        >participates in the Trials and finishes at least one round of the 1500m. Right
        >now there are two other 'A' qualifiers; of course, there could be more by
        >July.

tandfman, would you mind terribly deciphering the canuck qualifying standards?

Comment

>>tandfman, would you mind terribly deciphering the canuck
          >qualifying standards?>>

Easy! Nobody gets to go.

Comment

>>tandfman, would you mind terribly deciphering the canuck qualifying standards?

No problemo. If you live and train in Michigan under an American coach, your ticket is already punched.

Comment

Tactics are surely something AW has to now concern himself with. In h.s. it didn't matter much. He ran smart at Pre simply because he knew no better. He knew not to take the lead - try to hang and then kick - a no-brainer.

But now that he's the favorite (at the trials) what does he do? He apparently is currently the best at a full 1500m., so in a slow pace does he lead? As Steve Scott, Susie Hamilton, Holman and countless others can attest this is very risky - even if you're the best.

It will depend on how much confidence he is able to get back in his finish. He will be running several races between now and July and I'm sure finishing very strong will be a focus. He may also experiment with front running - he has time to test different strategies.

The strategy may be - let the 1st 400 go - if too slow after 400 then surge gradually, but don't commit fully. Try to get the rest to bite. Then go back into hiding until the final 5-600 when he can begin the strong pressure drive for home ala El G. If they don't take the bait he can push from further out - 800m. - as he did Saturday. Saturday's race should have given him confidence in his ability to do this - even in breezy conditions. As El G. would probably advise him - he's in shape to run a full solid 1500m - don't let it come down to a 200 m race even if you think you can win that way.

Under no circumstances does he want it go slow for 1300-1400m with a rush the last 200-100. That is probably what most of the others would like because then anything can happen - but maybe the rest are running for slots 2-3 anyway.

Comment

>>But
                >now that he's the favorite (at the trials) what does he do?>>

I don't think he's any more the favorite for the Trials now than he was the favorite for the USATF title (which he wasn't) after he took the yearly U.S. lead at Pre in '01.

Running well in a solo rabbited race is a gulf apart from running three rounds with nobody else doing the dirty work. I'm by no means saying he can't win; but to annoint him as the No. 1 pick at this point is, methinks, a tad premature.

Comment

"but to annoint him as the No. 1 pick at this point is, methinks, a tad premature."

well, I don't see anyone else stepping up to be #1 BUT him. He doesn't have to force the pace in any round. He has the strength and speed to play out many scenarios. He may not even get to the Oly finals, but he 'should' be the favorite for the OT.

Comment

In an event as roller-coastery as this one, putting all your marbles in any one basket 7 weeks out (particularly in an Olympic year) isn't a good use of your resources. Aside from all the aforementioned points, stop and think how much shape Webb can lose in that time and how much guys like Lunn can gain. (Of course, Webb can--and hopefully will--gain too.)

I view this as somewhat akin to those who are saying that the collegiate guys are going to dominate the 400 in Sacramento.

Having said that, the next edition of T&FN, of course, will have favorites in each of the events, picked.... 7 weeks out!

Comment

"will have favorites in each of the events, picked.... 7 weeks out!"

that's sorta what I meant - he's the favorite NOW. I also hope that the rankings get shaken up as we get closer, cuz that's means other people are improving too.

as a contest junkie, what's this year's prizes for the OT and OG games? For the OT, it should be nothing less than plane fare, hotel and finish line seats in Athens (I'll juggle my social calendar!). For the OG, it should be a cover shot of me (excuse me - the winner) with my favorite athlete (tough choice between SD and AJ). Sounds about right, yes?

Comment

>"will have favorites in each of the events, picked.... 7 weeks
                        >out!"

that's sorta what I meant - he's the favorite NOW. I also hope that
                        >the rankings get shaken up as we get closer, cuz that's means other people are
                        >improving too. >>>>

You are on a roll, you beat me to it on the other thread but..."that's means other people..."? LOL Better hit edit again (for the 3rd time in 5 mins)!

Comment

yeah, I really need to lay off the parsing - I'm as guilty in the typo department as anyone.

Comment

Some ask why Webb is going to Europe. He wants to get a decent world ranking. To be ranked in the IAAF top ten you need at least 3:31 speed. Webb won't get faster running against US milers.

Why has Lunn never gotten either a world cup or Olympic A standard?

Comment

Do you really think that, in an Olympic year, Webb or anyone else is worrying about the IAAF rankings?

Comment

You never know what the incentive clauses include, but certainly the highest Oly place is the goal.

Comment

Working...
                                X