Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so what's the men's POY now?

(Performance Of The Year)

Because of the setting, and because he had to beat a rabbited record, I still give a narrow edge to Rudisha over Merritt.

If somebody had told you at the beginning of the eyar that a 9039-point decathlon would be no better than third on the list.....

Re: so what's the men's POY now?

Originally posted by gh
    (Performance Of The Year)
    Because of the setting, and because he had to beat a rabbited record, I still give a narrow edge to Rudisha over Merritt.
    If somebody had told you at the beginning of the eyar that a 9039-point decathlon would be no better than third on the list.....
    Ah, you read my post on the other thread . . . :wink:

Comment

I have a simple solution: A triple tie!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
        That would certainly be a fair and equitable solution. However, one has to put their gonads on the line and choose a winner. And so for me it is:
        #1 Merritt
        #2 Rudisha
        #3 Eaton

Comment

Rudisha is still POY easily.

Comment

For me the POY has to go to rudisha at the Olympics after running rounds and then running that time in the final .

Comment

Rudisha, because of the setting (value of the race), and because of what others did in the race along with him. He enabled six athletes to make their performances of the year as the front-runner. At the Olympic Games. In a race of grave importance. The 12,80, whilst brilliant and the fastest ever run, doesn't hold the same worth as performance of the year as an invitational race in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Rudisha, because of the setting (value of the race), and because of what others did in the race along with him. He enabled six athletes to make their performances of the year as the front-runner. At the Olympic Games. In a race of grave importance. The 12,80, whilst brilliant and the fastest ever run, doesn't hold the same worth as performance of the year as an invitational race in my opinion.
                I completely agree with this

Comment

I'm thinking that only people who weren't there in person for either race should be allowed to vote. Or maybe it's OK if you were at both.

I saw Rudisha in person, but not Merritt, and I know, deep down inside, that that has to be coloring my thinking somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    I'm thinking that only people who weren't there in person for either race should be allowed to vote.
                    I am in that group and I go for DR!

Comment

Merritt's WR was a much bigger improvement percentage-wise. He ran a damn near perfect race.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                        Merritt's WR was a much bigger improvement percentage-wise.
                        People can vote for whatever, but god's sake don't turn it into a math contest.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Merritt's WR was a much bigger improvement percentage-wise. He ran a damn near perfect race.
                          Given what a technical event the high hurdles are, I agree that Merritt's performance is even greater than Rudisha's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                            Originally posted by jeremyp
                            That would certainly be a fair and equitable solution. However, one has to put their gonads on the line and choose a winner. And so for me it is:
                            #1 Merritt
                            #2 Rudisha
                            #3 Eaton
                            O.K., O.K.
                            #1 Merritt
                            #1 Eaton
                            #1 Rudisha.
                            There!

Comment

Setting a WR in the Olympics has to be a huge plus. So does destroying the Olympic field.
                              So Rudisha for me for #1.
                              We all sense/know Eaton has much more in his tank, while I seriously doubt Merritt can go more than 1/2/1ooths faster. Rudisha may or may not get sub 1.40.00, 800 runners fade all too quickly after 4/5 years. So let's wait for Eaton to go over 9150!

Comment

Working...
                              X