Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blazing shoes!

Randy, that was hilarious.

I am one of the guys that mostly thinks that shenanigans are in poor taste, but I thought the whole thing was very clever and funny, and it WAS a Golden Spikes pro track event.

If they want to borrow a page from more colorful sports like wrestling, big deal. Maybe it will breathe some life into a sport that has been mostly moribund for the better part of two decades. If somebody did it at the OG's or US Trials it would piss me off.

But this was just another made-for-TV pro track event. Big deal, just get over it.

Comment

"If somebody did it at the OG's or US Trials it would piss me off."

Exactly - do it there and you SHOULD be accused of bad sportsmanship.

But have you ever noticed that EVERY time Mo has been interviewed after a race he ALWAYS says, "I just wanted to put on a good show for the fans." At these kinds of meets he has the right idea. Make it good AND entertaining. I'm with ya, Mo!

Comment

and tafnut, on this one, I'm with you. As a one-shot stunt it was lot of fun. Everybody ease up.

Comment

So am I. I loved it.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Am I the only one who thought the Donovan Bailey/Michael Johnson 150 matchup was a great idea? (Poorly executed, yes, but great concept.)

No, stunts like Maurice's don't belong in championship events, but for a regular meet, what a great way to whip up some fan interest. If that made just a few sports highlight reels around the nation, then it was good for our sport.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I loved it. I found it incredibly funny, especially because I thought he had a pebble or something in his shoe and wanted to get rid of it asap...

Comment

I don't think it hurt anything. I thought it was original, but for sure it does not belong at a Championship Type meet. For this type of meet to show younger people that track can be fun, it may have helped because this is the type of things young people look for. Track in this country needs help to get people just to acknowledge the sport. I think it was funny and that comes from it being spontaneous or at least appearing that way to the public. Lighten up and enjoy.

Comment

It made the Sunday morning SportsCenter highlight reel on ESPN.

Comment

I normally don't like stunts like the sharpie and cell phone ones last year; however, it was very funny to be there, the whole crowd laughed their asses off, me included.

Comment

It was on CBS Sunday Morning also, not a sports show. My wife was so excited she called me at work immediately! (And she does not get very excited about the sport, even though my involvement is pretty high.)

Comment

Am I incredibly stupid by saying, huh?!

Comment

Yes tafnut, stunned me, too :-)
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>Who put them out? Couldnt tell

It was Larry Wade

Comment

I'm not a Mo fan but I really liked the shoe bit. Why? Well, like him or not, the guy has been struggling. It was great to see him make his way back with a fast time AND regain some of his old swagger. This just might turn into a great track and field story.

Comment

>You would never see a middle distance or
                                >distance runner pulling that kind of crap.

What, like Webb's little hurdling act? Yes, it was less flashy, but he got the crowd going, and he was having fun.

Me and my wife had to rewind the tape and watch it 3 times to see if they really were on fire! It was funny. My daughter (2) says, "Oh-oh...guy's shoes are hot." We were rolling.

Mo' power to ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X