Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Walt - Good Job!

I needed a fix and that was a good one. I won't quibble about the breathless interviews - NBC let the events promote themselves. Lots to like. Forget the drug crap; the season has started!

Re: Hey Walt - Good Job!

I'll second that. Very good job indeed. It was refreshing to watch live action the way it should be shown. Dwight did a great job covering the field events as well.

I've always wondered, why not place the athletes personal or season best when showing their names before each race? This could give the fans more insight than just their name and what country they are from.

Comment

Personal best and season best

Damn good idea.

Comment

Re: Personal best and season best

First time in quite a while where a track meet was worth watching & glad I spent the time to do so. Even Carol Lewis was pretty decent.

Had to love Webb hurdling and Mo's shoes on fire!

On the performance aspect, the Men's 100 was over at 5m. Mo's start was that good. Webb showed the field that he is a man and they are boys, at least for one day.

Comment

>First time in quite a while where a track meet was worth watching & glad I
          >spent the time to do so. Even Carol Lewis was pretty decent.

Had to love
          >Webb hurdling and Mo's shoes on fire!

I also really enjoyed the meet...I was just dissapointed in showing all the false starts etc. in the sprints and hurdles.

Comment

well considering it was a live telecast there wasn't much they could do about showing false starts.

Comment

Re: Good telecast!

>>A few days ago gh questioned whether track meets
              >should be televised at all (considering how poor telecasts have been, even in
              >the very recent past). At the time, I thought this was a foolish (if serious)
              >remark because unlike gh, most of the rest of us are not able to be at these
              >meets to see them in person. >>

Ahh, to have the job you think I do! I've been to three (3!) meets this year, all of them indoors. Some of that has been by choice, but yesterday morning, like so many Saturdays and Sundays during the domestic season, I was up before 6:00 and in the office before 7:00. Not many road trips for this cowboy (or the T&FN staff in general).

My "maybe we'd be better with no track" was a devil's advocate kind of statement which ended up not provoking the conversation it was supposed to. But if you want "foolish," I'll write that screed in a whole new thread later today, the basic theme being that the more this Board hates the telecasts the better off the sport is.

Comment

"the more this Board hates the telecasts the better off the sport is."

You'll be going for the 'squeaky wheel gets the oil approach.'

Seeing as how (there's a good southern construction) 99% of us can't get to a meet in person, we're at the mercy of the networks (please, please, somebody - perfect the webcast technology!). If we are constantly complaining about the telecast, or worse yet, boycotting them, as someone said yesterday he was already doing, then TV will fold up their tents and try Formula I racing, which is so popular abroad. We need to use the 'honey AND vinegar' approach. Praise when they get close, and bitch when they don't. That's classical conditioning. Works on unhouse-broken puppies and TV execs alike. I sincerely believe the Walts of the world are trying, but if we just keep whining, he'll give up too.

Comment

Here's an unusual point-of-view from someone who has been to lord knows how many meets over 30 years and who was at Carson yesterday: it was, without doubt, the most boring high level meet I've ever attended. The first hour had only the LJ & PV. The LJ had a small field and was spoiled by Savante's wierd injury (never seen anything like that before) and the PV was ruined by impossible winds. Once the meet went live on NBC there was nothing going on while you were listening to the commentators, interviews, commercials etc. A few field events but not the usual flurry of activity. If I was new to the sport and went for the first time I'd never attend another track meet. Normally I'm able to keep track of every field event and miss nothing; yesterday I missed Cantwell's longest throw because I was chatting, through bordom, to the people near me. The meets I like best on TV are the recorded, edited ones (except the OG/WC's, of course)...all action, no crap fluff pieces, don't impact the live event.

(GH...glad to read you weren't there. I thought it might be you announcing and spent most of the afternoon listening to my gf dissing him, likening him to a "second-class beauty pageant announcer"! I actually thought he did a good job.)

Comment

>First time in quite a while where a track meet was worth watching & glad I
                    >spent the time to do so. Even Carol Lewis was pretty decent.>>

One major reason was that it was live. While watching Webb's race I spent the last 400m wondering (hoping?) he could hang on. If I read the result and then watched there is NO drama in that race.

Had to love
                    >Webb hurdling and Mo's shoes on fire!>>

Enthusiasm is good.

Comment

Walt, I'd like to ask a technical question: When meets are televised live, would it be possible to record sprint events on a hard drive (TIVO-like) system, so that we wouldn't have to sit through so much time watching compeptitors getting out of their warmup gear, standing around, false starts, etc.?
                      It seems to me that it might save broadcast time by devoting, let's say, one minute to coverage of an event that lasts less than 10 secs., and might free up several minutes to show other events more completely.

Comment

(GH...glad to read you weren't there. I thought it
                        >might be you announcing and spent most of the afternoon listening to my gf
                        >dissing him, likening him to a "second-class beauty pageant announcer"! I
                        >actually thought he did a good job.)>>

I'm saving my voice for the Olympics :-)

Comment

I want to thank all of you for the praise you have given track and field today. We go left, right, up and down, rarely forward, and always backward when discussing who did what, where, when, why, and how come they are not any better today than they were before. It is so relieving to see the majority of you inspired and excited for your national team.

Comment

One critique I have of T&F coverage is the viewpoint the camera gives of the LJ.

Why the headon view? This view does not show the point of the event - the length of the jump.

Comment

>One critique I have of T&F coverage is the viewpoint the camera gives of the
                              >LJ. >>>>

That's one my bones of contention also. I do understand that they sometimes have a limited number of cameras but that wasn't the case yesterday. They had a camera high up on the stand adjacent to the LJ pit. They were showing jumps on the stadium screen that looked almost vertically above the pit...it was a brilliant angle, one I'd never seen before.

Comment

Working...
                              X