• Show
Clear All

Re: Hey Walt - Good Job!

I also liked the telecast a lot.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Re: Hey Walt - Good Job!

i just wanted to jump in and say that i personally don't mind showing the sprinters in warm-up/stalking mode for a minute or two before the start. the 100m is already so short, i feel that just watching literally 10 seconds of it with no lead up is a bit pointless, like watching a computer simulation. i think the warm-up and close-ups let you feel a bit more of what the athlete is feeling, you can sense the nerves, nervousness.. them trying to relax and shake out the last bits of tension. showing everyone getting ready, hearing about their injury woes, best marks so far, hopes for the year, etc.. showing them psyching themselves up, chilling themselves out, whatever. then the set and go, is much more interesting and fulfilling as a televised, event, in my opinion.

as for the false starts... live is live. sometimes its fun to see who's a bit too antsy to settle down in the blocks though. i guess if pressed i'd say edit them out in a non live situation

Comment

Re: Good telecast!

<... my gf
        >dissing him, likening him
        >to a "second-class beauty pageant announcer">>

He has improved! He used to sound like a third-class beauty pageant announcer. :-)

Comment

>>i just wanted to jump in and say that i personally >>don't mind showing the sprinters in >>warm-up/stalking mode for a minute or two before >>the start. the 100m is already so short, i feel >>that just watching literally 10 seconds of it with >>no lead up is a bit pointless

I agree, it's very strange watching a sprint race when the coverage doesn't start until they're getting into the blocks. It has no "feel" to it. So I don't mind a little build-upo - as long as it's not the artificial kind, like showing an ancient replay of Gail Devers tripping over the hurdle for the quadzillionth time. I'd rather watch her amazing pre-race routine than see that cliched tripping replay yet again.

Comment

Who picks your tunes Walt? One Thing By Finger Eleven that they were playing during the Devers' intro is a great track. Another example of how a hard rock band's best track is often a ballad.

Comment

Working...
            X