Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New High School...need a synthetic Track...any helpers?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New High School...need a synthetic Track...any helpers?

Hey, my name is Salman Syed, Im a Junior and one of the Track Captains at Palos Verdes High School, in Southern California. We just re-opened as a High School two years ago, and just finished our second season of Track with 2 girls qualifying to Cif Southern Section Finals. A sophomore in the 400 with a time of 58.2 and a freshmen in the 100 with a time of 12.4, both girls; which is pretty impressive considering we have no senoirs on campus as of yet. The Track we currently train on is a dirt track, the same track, and possibly dirt, that was used back in 1948, when the school first opened. Since the school is too caught up in the other programs, we don't really have any support for a synthetic Track yet. I am taking it into my own hands to find a way to gain support and hopefully start a fund for a new Track. It would be a dream come true to have a synthetic Track possibly by next year, when I graduate. If you have any suggestions on how to raise money, or any ideas of what sponsors to contact, or any way to help at all, please contact me by email at [email protected]. We really appreciate it. Thank You.

Re: New High School...need a synthetic Track...any helpers?

Salman, remember if you get around to getting a track to put in a soft one that you can train on. I coach in New Zealand and our school has a grass track and when I asked our kids if they wanted a rubber track they said they would rather train on the grass as it is easier on their legs. Many places buy the fastest track they can afford and it is usually the hardest one as well. You'll have less shin splints and stress fractures on the dirt track. Start with proper throwing and jumping areas.

Comment

hey ferny, do u still jump or just coach? Satch

Comment

Knowing the usual demographic of the Palos Verdes area (read: blond hair and ponytails), one would think that distance runners would predominate over sprinters.
        So the grass track route certainly has merit. (I ran interval workouts as an 800m runner in high school 100% of the time on the grass just inside lane 1, and my constant shin sprint problems totally disappeared). It helped also that on grass I was able to run those interval workouts barefoot- something else recommended by some of those southern hemisphere coaches of note.

That said, grass tracks might be a hard-sell in Southern California where nobody has seen them, and few people would "get" the concept. "Would we have to water & fertilize it and mow it, driving up our bill for all of that?"
        Also, if the track is to receive heavy traffic in terms of hosting meets quite often, you might get wear problems.

One other note about Palos Verdes- high school tracks with artificial surfaces (other than "paved" which was popular in the 70's) often result from community drives, and are most often succesful in affluent communities. Brea/Olinda is an example, and communities like Irvine usually come up with about anything they think their kids need.
        How about this- if the appraised value of the average single-family home in the area exceeds $700,000, you have a decent shot at it with a well-thought out drive.
        Palos Verdes?....think about it....

Comment

contact the bowermans in eugene oregon./they have a fund for resurfacing hs./tracks.tom bowerman lives in eugene,barbara/phil knight know about fund.
          2.-call usatf-317-261-0500-ask craig masback.
          3.-call doug brown in atlanta{former-florida coach}now resurfacing&building tracks.call usatf for dougs #.

these are 3 solid leads,they will help&send in right direction.

Comment

Thank You so much for your help and interest in this situation. We all really appreciate it. Thank you

Comment

Thanks for your interest in our situation. It seems as if you know the Palos Verdes area pretty well. Since I am a current student at Pv, if you have any questions about how the school is doing now, or just about what is going on, feel free to contact me by email at [email protected]. Thanks again, its greatly appreciated.

Comment

Thanks for your tips Mr.Fern, we greatly appreciate it. It really excites me that other people around the world, other Track enthusiasts, are willing to help us. Thank You.

Comment

JOHN COOK IS IN FLORIDA.USATF HAS HIS PHONE# ANOTHER GREAT TRACK-BUILDING RESOURCE.SPEND MORE TIME CALLING THESE PEOPLE/GETTING YOUR HIGHSCHOOL SOME PRESS ON SITUATION INSTEAD OF TALKING TO YOURSELF,,ENOUGH SAID.,...

Comment

Ask Palos Verdes star tennis player Pete Sampras for a little seed money.

Comment

Sollie,
                      I work for Lynx, the makers of the track meet management equipment which will be used at the Trials, etc. Many of our high school customers have raised thousands through Booster Clubs. Others have simply gone out to the community, and asked local car dealers, shop owners, etc. for donations, in exchange for publicity, etc. I suggest you start a group, call a meeting, and get the word out. One person can't do it alone. Get a committee, get committee heads, and move from there. If there are running shops in the area...they could certainly help spread the word. Every jogger within 10 miles will be interested in this project. Lynx can help later on with ideas on wiring the track. When the track project is done, the school could make money at meets selling images from Lynx cameras. It is done throughout the US. Good luck, and contact me if you want to discuss this further.

Comment

Rules of engagement:

6. Come on board and try to sell something and you'll be bounced.

Comment

Strange, precious few people on this board seem to mind when people like me, who work for Lynx, provide information to board members before it is commonly available - results, etc..

People who know us know that we are huge supporters of Track and Field News, the sport, and of the technology that makes it more enjoyable for fans, athletes, coaches, etc.. They also know that we don't need a barker drumming up business - we believe that our reputation speaks for itself.

The suggestions that my colleague was making about car washes and booster clubs could apply equally well to someone buying a competitor's product. This was not a pitch for "Higginbottom's Venerable Snake Oil" that appeared. It was cold, hard, advice based on hundreds of discussions with hundreds of schools facing the same challenge: how do we afford to put in an all-weather surface?

If anyone was offended then I apologize on behalf of the company. The mention of the Lynx name was intended purely to add credence to the reply - people have asked us this same question dozens of times, and this same advice has helped make the dreams of many young athletes come to fruition. I wish the young man in question all the best with his project.

All the best,

Giles.

Comment

You have a tremendous product, a terrific service, and a great price: free. I don:t believe in an any way, shape or form that someone would mistake your intentions. These board rules do apply to everyone, however.

Comment

>You have a tremendous product, a terrific service, and a great price: free. I
                              >don:t believe in an any way, shape or form that someone would mistake your
                              >intentions.

Oh good.

Comment

Working...
                              X