Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC faux pas at Home Depot

I attended the Home Depot meet yesterday, and was finally able to watch the tape of the meet this morning. As I was rewinding, the tape stopped where the Men's 800m results were being posted. Unfortunately, the results graphic said it was "Women's 800 yard", then listed the wrong 2nd and 3rd place finishers. I was curious if they had done the same with the women's race. Sure enough, as I rewound to the finish of the women's 800, there was the same graphic. At least NBC got the gender correct that time, but to list the event as "800 yards".... come on. I guess they still using a graphics shell from the indoor season? You would think the producer would have chewed out the graphics coordinator after the first foul-up. But to have it happen a second time is is inexcuseable. Don't they screen graphics ahead of time ??? I'll now rewind to the start and watch the entire broadcast, just to see if any more glaring mistakes were made.

Better wake up NBC !!!

Re: NBC faux pas at Home Depot

It's too bad. There were several errors in calling the wrong athlete or giving the wrong mark or even the wrong country for a given athlete. It was as if they didn't have a lot of preparation before the meet.

Comment

Is there anyone awake this Sunday (night here) afternoon who is happy that a decent track meet was shown on air in the USA on Saturday? That an athlete who has had some injury struggles the past couple years has run a 3-second person-best in his event...in MAY? I rely on your experiences and thoughts to see how the meets in the USA go.

Comment

Their faux pas can be no worse than this "LIVE" event:

1991 NCAA II Nationals in San Angelo, Texas.

Jim Sorensen, SLO senior, runs hard down the stretch in the men:s 1,500m final - with Sonoma State:s Mike Stone pushing from behind. Sorensen kicks hard, wins the race, and should have earned his 15 minutes of fame. Guess what? The announcer stated over the loud speaker in haste and excitement: "Here comes Scott Hempel, ladies and gentlemen! Let:s give him a round of applause for winning his second-straight NCAA championship!" Scott Hempel was the 1990 NCAA II champion, and Sorensen:s 1991 teammate. After a few minutes the announcer stated: "I guess that wasn:t Hempel after all. It might have been Sorensen."

Comment

>Is there anyone awake this Sunday (night here) afternoon who is happy that a
          >decent track meet was shown on air in the USA on Saturday? That an athlete who
          >has had some injury struggles the past couple years has run a 3-second
          >person-best in his event...in MAY? I rely on your experiences and thoughts to
          >see how the meets in the USA go.

It is always great to see any track meet on TV, especially a top shelf meet like Home Depot. Sure, I was critical of the broadcast, but not the athletes and their performances. I am hoping NBC will make sure the errors that were exposed yesterday won't be repeated for the Trials and/or Olympic Games, when there will be a much larger audience watching.

Comment

Lighten up! I don't think I've ever watched (or listened to a baseball game on the radio) where one of the announcers didn't have to correct himself on the pitch count, or where the wrong guy is making the tackle, or tipping it in under the basket.

If you want perfect telecasts of track perhaps we can arrange for them not to show them for a week or so after they happen and have them edited and re-edited.

Comment

>It's too bad. There were several errors in calling the wrong athlete or giving
              >the wrong mark or even the wrong country for a given athlete. It was as if
              >they didn't have a lot of preparation before the meet.

I was only able to pull off watching the 1500 race live out of all of the coverage because I was at a wedding reception but someone said on another board that Sully got referred to as a yank in the results or something. I guess I'll find out when I see the tape.

Comment

>decent track meet was shown on air in the USA?

I was jittery and had butterflies the whole time it was on. I just loved watching a meet, especially a good one. I was almost only watching the action.

Comment

>decent track meet was shown on air in the USA on Saturday? That an athlete who
                  >has had some injury struggles the past couple years has run a 3-second
                  >person-best in his event...in MAY?

I actually taped it and watched immediately afterwards, because I thought there'd be little T&F, and much fluff. Although I did fast forward through the breathless post-race interviews, I thought NBC did a very good job overall: The time frame included races from 100M to 1500M and a good range of field events (except for the women's PV), and even the BALCO piece (which, admittedly, I skipped part of) seemed balanced.

It was especially gratifying to see Alan Webb get the "A" standard, and to see Mo Greene walk, rather than limp, away from a race.

Overall, it was -- to me -- a pleasant surprise.

Comment

I thought the coverage was a lot better than what I've come to expect from NBC. I feel like they at least made an effort to give us some stories and a good portion of the action.

So many broadcasts (which number so few) in the past have been tape delayed, with much of the real meet left on the editing room floor in favor of fairly useless fluff pieces, while the network barely ever goes more than 3 minutes without a commercial.

In spite of a number of mistakes, overall I give the network good marks. I did see the TV banner that used yards instead of meters, and I wish that in the field events they had put both the metric marks and english marks on the screen.

Because this meet was run in a pretty compressed format, with finals only for 20 events, it had to have taken a lot of preparation to get as much good stuff as they did in a live event.

More, please! Even if it is tape-delayed and shown at horrible hours, I don't care. I just want my track and field!

Just seeing Alan Webb return to the world stage in such dramatic fashion and seeing Christian Cantwell do an entire shot series over 70 feet was enough to make this meet worth watching to me. On top of that, there was much gravy for such a brief event.

Comment

>Lighten up!< Why should we? They are paid professionals, why don't they try to improve? They make the same errors every time. If the favorites or their emphasized athletes aren't the leaders they are lost. Example the 100m Patton ran great the only challange Greene had but his name was not mentioned till the race was over.

<If you want perfect telecasts of track perhaps we can arrange for them not to show them for a week or so after they happen and have them edited and re-edited.< They do this with the European meets and still can't get them right. We don't expect perfect just improvements. At least other sportscasters try to fix their errors.

Face it the only way track will get better coverage is if the announcers get better. The crew that does it now will never improve so they need to replace them. This crew is more interested in talking about their glory days then about the races at hand. And they never seem to do any homework, just what makes the papers.

I'm usually happy with Stones but he was awful Saturday. How can you not till a jump was almost a foot farther? (MJ's 4th jump). The reason was he didn't watch it except from the TV. The camera angles were terrible for the field events.

The coverage was improved, based on the quanity of events shown, but only two shot puts when 2 guys threw over 70' and one did it 6 times. I think they missed the boat on that one.

Comment

I've said it before, but here goes again. The quality of TV coverage is in direct, but inverse correlation to the $$ at risk. A big network like NBC has to appeal to a very broad audience, and therefore "packages" the meet accordingly. A small network--the Outdoor network, ESPN 8, or whatever--can "afford" to appeal to a narrow audience and so will do the program simpler, with no frills. Thus, they will tend to simply show the good stuff and dispense with fancy graphics, up-close-and-poisonous profiles, and other frou-frou. We should be clamoring for "minor" network coverage...

Comment

Public athletics interest here in Sweden is at a high point. Many of our national meets - and also the international GP:s and GL:s - are shown in full on public television stations without commercial interruption.

SVT1 and SVT2 carried the entire world indoor championships, and the announcers did a fantastic job not only covering our national stars, but displaying the competitors to its audience.

One thing I appreciated about broadcasting in the United States was when network tv interrupted my sporting event with an Al Michaels special Golden Mile broadcast live from Bislett. Seems like the guy who does the Olympic anchor is always looking for an angle or a story, instead of letting the audience choose to interpret for itself the events which unfold as champions are crowned, victors take their laps, and losers go home.

Comment

>>It's too bad. There were several errors in calling the wrong athlete or
                            >giving
                            >the wrong mark or even the wrong country for a given athlete. It was
                            >as if
                            >they didn't have a lot of preparation before the meet.

I was only
                            >able to pull off watching the 1500 race live out of all of the coverage because
                            >I was at a wedding reception but someone said on another board that Sully got
                            >referred to as a yank in the results or something. I guess I'll find out when I
                            >see the tape.>>

He was clearly identified by the announcers as Canadian and in an early season race and not likely to follow the fast early pace.

Comment

Goofy "yards" errors aside, I thought that was one of the most well done telecasts I've ever seen. And we got TWO HOURS of live coverage! That's quite a bit, so yes, we should quit whining. And did you see all that field event coverage? Bravo! Sure, it probably wouldn't pass muster on Eurosport, but then we don't get that here in the U.S., do we?

My only mild criticism would be to show the long jump from a higher view, so that we can compare where the respective athletes are landing in the pit. You don't get a sense of distance with that ground-level, end-of-the-pit shot.
                              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Working...
                              X