Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever wish your fav athlete worked with a specific coach?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever wish your fav athlete worked with a specific coach?

For example you ever wonder if Allyson would be sub 48 working with Clyde Hart? Or sub 10.7 working with John Smith?

Would Bolt and Blake have the starts Shelly and Asafa have if they were working with Steven Francis?

Would Sanya be a sub 22 monsta working with Bobby Kersee? Would Lolo Jones have approached the wr working with Bobby as well?

Things like that.

Re: Ever wish your fav athlete worked with a specific coach?

Originally posted by fasttrack85
    Would Bolt and Blake have the starts Shelly and Asafa have if they were working with Steven Francis?
    Things like that.
    Maybe, but then they might now have the finishes they do now.

Comment

Sure, I'd love to see Eaton spend a month or so with Petrov. I believe he would go from 5.30 to 5.60 pretty quickly. Hopefully, it wouldn't do any damage to his other events.

Heaven knows his current coach has been very effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
        Sure, I'd love to see Eaton spend a month or so with Petrov. I believe he would go from 5.30 to 5.60 pretty quickly. Hopefully, it wouldn't do any damage to his other events.
        You have to rob Peter to pay Paul in the Dec. I'm pretty sure Coach Petrov would not be very happy to have Ashton the few hours a week he would get him.

Comment

Ryan Crouser, Keshorn Walcott, Jacko Gill and Ashraf Amgad Elseify move to Kamloops to train with Dr. Bondarchuk.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            You have to rob Peter to pay Paul in the Dec. I'm pretty sure Coach Petrov would not be very happy to have Ashton the few hours a week he would get him.
            Zackly..... unless a decathlete has a marked weakness (and the PV most certainly is not one for Eaton), I think that sticking with a successful multi-oriented mentor is by far the best course of action.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Zackly..... unless a decathlete has a marked weakness (and the PV most certainly is not one for Eaton), I think that sticking with a successful multi-oriented mentor is by far the best course of action.
              PV isn't a weakness for Eaton, but I do believe it is not a fully exploited strength. Think of all the PVers who are alleged to have had 10.2 speed and 8.20 LJ capacity. I suspect exactly one smiling face comes to mind.

Comment

PV isn't a weakness for Eaton, but I do believe it is not a fully exploited strength. Think of all the PVers who are alleged to have had 10.2 speed and 8.20 LJ capacity. I suspect exactly one smiling face comes to mind.
                AE is faster and springier than SB, but Bubka had the advantage of a full-time devotion to technical perfection. Even if AE devoted himself solely to the PV, there's no reason to believe he'd become a 20' vaulter - there's just too many other variables. That said, he COULD be a 19' vaulter!

Comment

AE is faster and springier than SB, but Bubka had the advantage of a full-time devotion to technical perfection. Even if AE devoted himself solely to the PV, there's no reason to believe he'd become a 20' vaulter - there's just too many other variables. That said, he COULD be a 19' vaulter!
                  Unfortunately for American vaulting, our two best potential vaulters are our best two decathletes.

Eaton and Hardee have all the tools to be great vaulters.

I personally would've also put former high school phenom and also-ran Donovan Kilmartin in the group. He should've focused on the vault instead of the dec. Even as a dec, he jumped 17'4"ish in high school.

Comment

Going from an already very good 17'4" to 18'4" means a lot of extra decathlon points. 19' would help him put the record out of reach for a lot of years.

Comment

I'm always amazed at how much improvement one has to do in some events to score significantly more points. The diff. between 17-4 and 18-4 isn't quite 100.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        I'm always amazed at how much improvement one has to do in some events to score significantly more points. The diff. between 17-4 and 18-4 isn't quite 100.
                        Has it ever been considered to increase the points gained per centimeter or 0.01 second as the performance increases?

Comment

Shalane Flanagan with Bob Larsen.

Jerry Schumacher might be a great coach, but he has unproven record on coaching marathon runners. Larsen, on the other hand, has coached the greatest US marathoner of the last three decades. I want to see if Shalane is capable of producing the same level of success on the road as she did on track and cross country.

Comment

Yes. After Beijing I was wishing that Asafa could be coached by Glen Mills.
                            Regards,
                            toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                              Originally posted by gh
                              Has it ever been considered to increase the points gained per centimeter or 0.01 second as the performance increases?
                              This essentially requires an entirely different functional form. It could be done but would be a change in methodology. As I recall the points in event i, PTi, are

PTi = max[0, Bi + Ci*Xi],

where Bi and Ci are event-specific parameters, with C being negative when X is a time and positive when it is a distance. (I might mis-remember the formula). If this is correct, then the gradient is Ci. That is

dPTi/dXi = Ci

This is why the absolute points do not matter -- every body (except NH/NM and very poor performances) gets Bi points for the event (except those where Bi is negative -- cannot remember if that ever really comes in to play).

Can some of those that know the events correct me if I am wrong.

To make this non-linear you would want to set it up so that some point amount is kept equal for an equal performance and that likely it would also be desirable for the gradient at that point to be about the same as the current gradient at that point. Note that if the timed events have Ci/Ti instead, that the points are non-linear in Ti. [I am rushed and after a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, so fuzzier even than my normal self)]

[The one thing is that I vaguely remember that there is a very slight non-linearity in the points with slightly hagher gradients for better marks, but this formula would say not .]

Comment

Working...
                              X