Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: T&FN: Oh, for the good old days....

I'm fine with the current version (subscriber since only 1967, so I'm a newcomer). But I have a very distinct memory of the account of the 1956 OG 1500m (I ordered the back issue). I think it took me longer to read than it took Kuts to run the 10,000m. But it was fun to read.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
      I'm fine with the current version (subscriber since only 1967, so I'm a newcomer). But I have a very distinct memory of the account of the 1956 OG 1500m (I ordered the back issue). I think it took me longer to read than it took Kuts to run the 10,000m. But it was fun to read.
      I found the event-by-event recaps of one of the fairly recent championships a really fun read. Yeah the meet had been over three or four weeks and all the results were known, but good stories by good storytellers should often be repeated. It's how history is learned and myths and legends are made.

Comment

I know we'll never go back, and I know most of the reasons.
        (The Internet is immediate, T&FN covers many more areas of the sport than 40-50 years ago, the economy.)
        But then I look at one of the old issues I've kept.....I had to sell most of my back issues (1962 through 1999) a few years ago because I needed money!!....one from September 1965.....and I can't help but long for those "good old days".
        Here's a brief list of that issue's contents, page by page.

Page

1....logo, 2 photos, start of 2 stories on the distance record breaking that year
        2....page 1 story cont.....start of WR story (Zsivotzky's 241-11)
        3....story of 2K record, 2 photos, "Office Memo" and "Postal Competitions"
        4&5....CC's season start, 2 pages of US Report (lots of marks given)
        6&7&8....a very detailed European Report...also tons of marks
        9......full page ad
        10&11....the World List (top 20 in most events)
        12....full page ad
        13....story on "Track Civil War"....profile of Bob Day, including yr-by-yr progression in 3 events
        14&15....2 full pages of a detailed report on US distance runners, from the elites down to the preps
        16....JC Jr Champs report, Prep Panorama
        17. "All Time Negro Records" (How quaint!!!!!), Quotable Quotes
        18&19....On Your Marks, Letters to the Editor, Profile of a Coach (Frank Potts)
        20....Of People and Things (by Bert Nelson), Age Group Track (this one mostly about Keith Koch, a then-10 yr old speedster)
        21....College Freshman (Postal) Championships (top 6 listed in each event, with marks)
        22....column by Jim Dunaway, plus 3 small ads
        23.....Track Talk by Cordner Nelson, plus 3 photos
        24.....back page....a full page ad.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Of course, in 1956 T&FN didn't carry women's news or road racing. In the general context we didn't cover—because they weren't part of the NCAA—the steeplechase, 400H, triple jump or hammer. And there were almost no pictures (none in color). And the type was of a size endorsed by the national optometrist's association.

If you think you can sell such a product today, please do so!
          No, you're right. I can't believe I put up with that kind of rag and from the other side of the globe and no color pictures :shock:

Comment

I did not discover T&FN until the mid-eighties and enjoy every issue (summer issues a lot more than the winter ones). It is not the degree of reverence Marlow describes, but I never threw any issue out, they are piling up to Mrs Pego's chagrin. Arrival of T&FN issue has been a bright point in my life and I would miss it a lot should it demise. Hope not.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              I did not discover T&FN until the mid-eighties and enjoy every issue (summer issues a lot more than the winter ones). It is not the degree of reverence Marlow describes, but I never threw any issue out, they are piling up to Mrs Pego's chagrin. Arrival of T&FN issue has been a bright point in my life and I would miss it a lot should it demise. Hope not.
              It is the only periodical that I do longer toss. Of course, I do not now both to get professional journals.

Comment

Part of the nostalgia is that decades ago we old-timers were much more hyped-up emotionally about T&F info and starved for news at the same time.
                Even before discovering T&FN I used to scour the back pages of the sport section for the agate print in the LA Times listing the top HS marks in the country. Then I would try to figure out where the hell all those places were (Del Rio Texas, Pittsburg and Lemoore California, etc, et. al.) where 17 year olds could run so fast and jump so high and imagine either small town supermen or else high jump bars with gigantic sags in the middle or hurricane force winds pushing sprinters along the whole 220 yd straight-away.
                Exciting stuff!

Comment

Working...
                X