Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 7% solution?

A dumb question: what page is the Moore review on in that May 24 SI issue? I've flipped through it at the newsstand and couldn't find it.

Comment

I never heard of it before the Bascombe mentions. After all these years it's possible that Santee has created a false memory. Those were the days when the Empire was still a very real thing and nobody at that end would have remotely entertained thoughts of letting an auslander in.

Comment

>I never heard of it before the Bascombe mentions.<

I should have added that in my earlier post. I had never heard it before I read the book and I have no recollection of there having been anything in the press to that effect either.

Comment

>A dumb question: what page is the Moore review on in that May 24 SI issue?
          >I've flipped through it at the newsstand and couldn't find it.

I just noticed a very odd thing -- my S.I. has a page 24 ("The Show") within the "Scorecard" section, and then the Moore review is found on the 9th unnumbered page after that -- and page 25 is found 14 unnumbered pages after page 24. At first glance I thought that, like many magazines these days, the page just didn't have its number on it, but then saw that it really was intended to be unnumbered.

All in all, the review is rather odd -- Bannister "burned himself out" racing the 1,500 meters at the Olympics in '52, otherwise he would have broken the record sooner; Bannister's achievement in being first, ahead of Landy and Santee, was because he had two windbreakers, unlike Landy and Santee; the "perfect mile" in Vancouver wasn't perfect because the Marines denied leave to Santee to run in the Empire Games; Santee would have won that race because he was as strong as Landy and had a better kick than Bannister.

Is Kenny Moore the expert he's cracked up to be?

Comment

Thanks for the guidance. I'll go back to the newsstand and see (once again) if I can find this piece.

Comment

"Is Kenny Moore the expert he's cracked up to be?"

You do know who he is, don't you? He's (IMO) one of the best SI writers overall, and one of the top nationwide for running.

Comment

I give up. The newsstand copies I've seen do NOT have the unnumbered page insert after p. 24. I suspect that, for whatever reason, this edition only went to subscribers. Weird.

Comment

I know who Kenny Moore is -- but that doesn't necessarily mean that his expertise is perfect. I have read many things by him I've enjoyed. That's why I was surprised by both the content and tone of the brief review in S.I. I'm not so sure he's correct in his analysis of "the perfect mile." Seems to me, if he's wrong about the Empire Games being open to Santee, that's a pretty serious and surprising error. That's why I asked you, knowing your expertise from these boards, what you thought about that (I knew you hadn't commented on it before). The review seemed like an odd outing from a guy who is one of the rare people who gets published in S.I. on running. Really didn't mean to impugn him -- just what he was saying in this review -- but wondered if others with no doubt more insight than I whether they'd thought he'd been wrong in other things he'd written --

Comment

moore learned alot of his track wisdom from being around legendary coaches bill bowerman/bill dellinger.he had very wise teachers+prefontaine&bowerman talked alot about percentages.
                    i hope all of our young 800/1500 runners take after webb,get out& do the blasting/screw the drafting/.

Comment

Runninfool would have the most logical explanation.

Back to the 7 percent issue in the first place, what methodology was used to come up with that number? Anyone know?

Comment

Working...
                      X