X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malmo
    replied
    Re: 7% solution?

Runninfool would have the most logical explanation.

Back to the 7 percent issue in the first place, what methodology was used to come up with that number? Anyone know?

Leave a comment:

• olympics1928
    replied

moore learned alot of his track wisdom from being around legendary coaches bill bowerman/bill dellinger.he had very wise teachers+prefontaine&bowerman talked alot about percentages.
    i hope all of our young 800/1500 runners take after webb,get out& do the blasting/screw the drafting/.

Leave a comment:

• runninfool
    replied

I know who Kenny Moore is -- but that doesn't necessarily mean that his expertise is perfect. I have read many things by him I've enjoyed. That's why I was surprised by both the content and tone of the brief review in S.I. I'm not so sure he's correct in his analysis of "the perfect mile." Seems to me, if he's wrong about the Empire Games being open to Santee, that's a pretty serious and surprising error. That's why I asked you, knowing your expertise from these boards, what you thought about that (I knew you hadn't commented on it before). The review seemed like an odd outing from a guy who is one of the rare people who gets published in S.I. on running. Really didn't mean to impugn him -- just what he was saying in this review -- but wondered if others with no doubt more insight than I whether they'd thought he'd been wrong in other things he'd written --

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I give up. The newsstand copies I've seen do NOT have the unnumbered page insert after p. 24. I suspect that, for whatever reason, this edition only went to subscribers. Weird.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

"Is Kenny Moore the expert he's cracked up to be?"

You do know who he is, don't you? He's (IMO) one of the best SI writers overall, and one of the top nationwide for running.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Thanks for the guidance. I'll go back to the newsstand and see (once again) if I can find this piece.

Leave a comment:

• runninfool
    replied

>A dumb question: what page is the Moore review on in that May 24 SI issue?
    >I've flipped through it at the newsstand and couldn't find it.

I just noticed a very odd thing -- my S.I. has a page 24 ("The Show") within the "Scorecard" section, and then the Moore review is found on the 9th unnumbered page after that -- and page 25 is found 14 unnumbered pages after page 24. At first glance I thought that, like many magazines these days, the page just didn't have its number on it, but then saw that it really was intended to be unnumbered.

All in all, the review is rather odd -- Bannister "burned himself out" racing the 1,500 meters at the Olympics in '52, otherwise he would have broken the record sooner; Bannister's achievement in being first, ahead of Landy and Santee, was because he had two windbreakers, unlike Landy and Santee; the "perfect mile" in Vancouver wasn't perfect because the Marines denied leave to Santee to run in the Empire Games; Santee would have won that race because he was as strong as Landy and had a better kick than Bannister.

Is Kenny Moore the expert he's cracked up to be?

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

>I never heard of it before the Bascombe mentions.<

I should have added that in my earlier post. I had never heard it before I read the book and I have no recollection of there having been anything in the press to that effect either.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I never heard of it before the Bascombe mentions. After all these years it's possible that Santee has created a false memory. Those were the days when the Empire was still a very real thing and nobody at that end would have remotely entertained thoughts of letting an auslander in.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

A dumb question: what page is the Moore review on in that May 24 SI issue? I've flipped through it at the newsstand and couldn't find it.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

The inane idea that Santee could possibly have entered the Empire Games was mentioned in the Bascomb book, although it's likely that the author was simply repeating what Santee or one of his supporters recalled. Perhaps they did think at the time that this American might possibly enter that race.

Nonsense, of course. It could never have happened and anyone who thought to the contrary at the time was delusional.

Leave a comment:

• Asterix
    replied

>Note that anybody who asks can get in these days. To wit, Maria
    >Mutola of Mozambique.

And then there is La Francophonie, who hold their games every 4 years or so and apparently open their memberships to any country which Napolean passed through one afternoon 200 years ago like Poland or Romania (to say nothing of the multiple personalities allowed for some countries, like two from Belgium and three from Canada).
    http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/ai-ia/fi-if/ ... t_e.cfm#05

How many countries actually have some french usage:
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... /2098.html

Leave a comment:

• runninfool
    replied

Note that anybody who asks can get in these days. To wit, Maria
    >Mutola of Mozambique.

According to "infoplease" (a website): In Nov. 1995 Mozambique was the first non-former British colony to become a member of the British Commonwealth.

I'm pretty sure that you've got to be a Commonwealth citizen to get into those games. Which would have been true in 1954, for the Empire, which means Moore was wrong in thinking Santee could have competed in Vancouver. He says that Santee was denied leave from the Marines to compete in the race, so maybe a special invitation had been made, given his prominence.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

what? I don't understand a word of that!

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied

And we don't speake the same language. Some of the Brits speak English, some speak in tongues (Geordies, Scots, eg), we in the US speak some variation of Merican, the Candians speak Canadjan, eh, etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X