X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowermans

No love for T&F's Heismans?

http://www.thebowerman.org/news/cam-lev ... e-bowerman

Congrats Cam Levins and Kimberlyn Duncan.

Re: Bowermans

Perhaps just a tad hard to get excited about an award based on a season that officially ended 6.5 months ago. We're far closer to the start of the '13 season than we are to the end of the '12 (in a collegiate sense).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Perhaps just a tad hard to get excited about an award based on a season that officially ended 6.5 months ago. We're far closer to the start of the '13 season than we are to the end of the '12 (in a collegiate sense).
      Yeahbut . . . this is OUR award! If we don't think much of it, who the heck should?!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I agree with you. Do you have idea what's the rationale for the long wait? Anyway

Congratulations Kim

Geaux Tigers!

Comment

They like to make it the centerpiece of teh USTFCCCA Convention.

I've been lobbying for them to do it at the USATF Champs, which while not an affair of their organizing, does bring "all" the relevant people together.

Think how well it would have played at the Trials this year during one of the off-days.

Comment

Congratulations to the winners!

I agree with gh on the timing of it. Plus having it so late makes it hard to view the individuals' merit based solely on accomplishments during the collegiate season, especially in an Olympic year. The voting was done months ago, but the casual fan might not fully appreciate the criteria for the awards and feel that one athlete or another would have been a better pick.

Comment

yeah, as one irate e-mailer already railed at me, "how could Brigetta Barrett's Olympic silver not get her the win?!!!"

The answer, of course, is that that the criteria are (as I think they should be, the timing of the award notwithstanding) that the collegiate season ends with the NCAA meet.

Comment

just wondering... is the plural of Bowerman really "Bowermans" or should it be "Bowermen" ? :twisted:

Comment

No offense to the winner on the men's side, but I have no idea how you can pick his frequently achieved double over the truly historic double achieved by Andrew Riley.

Comment

Are NCAA DII and DIII athletes be eligible for the Bowerman? And if so why have none been at least put on the early watch list?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      yeah, as one irate e-mailer already railed at me, "how could Brigetta Barrett's Olympic silver not get her the win?!!!"

The answer, of course, is that that the criteria are (as I think they should be, the timing of the award notwithstanding) that the collegiate season ends with the NCAA meet.
                      Even if I had wanted to, I could not consider Barrett's Olympic medal in my vote...because the ballots were due before the Olympics began.

It's an awards show, which means the emphasis is on the show. As with all of them this is merely a vehicle for self-promotion. The problem with doing the show at the USA Championships is that 1/3 of this year's nominees were busy in Calgary that week. Finding a time when US, Canadian, Jamaican and Kenyan athletes are all available is more easily said than done. TFN should understand the timing issue given that its HS All-Americans are announced when many of those athletes are studying for a college exam.

What I think could be done at the awards show is to unveil the watch list for the upcoming season, effectively kicking off the next year of college track self-promotion via the Bowerman Award.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                        Are NCAA DII and DIII athletes be eligible for the Bowerman? And if so why have none been at least put on the early watch list?
                        Yes they are eligible.

The early watch lists have not even been released yet, as far as I know. Do you have anyone you'd like to nominate? I'm sure the committee would love suggestions of smaller school athletes to keep an eye on, they are easier to lose track of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                          ... The problem with doing the show at the USA Championships is that 1/3 of this year's nominees were busy in Calgary that week. ....
                          Actually, the Canadian meet coincided with the second weekend of the OT, not the first (Theisen was in Eugene watching Eaton set the WR). And the Canadian meet is usually in July, so this year was a total anomaly in that regard.

Having said that, in normal times, USATF tends to coincide with the Jamaican meet.

But I don't think that another nation's nationals should be any reason not to present the awards when they'd have the most impact, which I think is while the proverbial iron is hot.

Comment

I believe in 2013, both the Canadian and the Jamaican national championships will coincide with USATF's championships.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              just wondering... is the plural of Bowerman really "Bowermans" or should it be "Bowermen" ? :twisted:
                              gh, you un-PC boor - we all know it should be the Bowerpeople! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X