X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adrian Peterson - Olympic Champion!

Originally posted by mal
    Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
    Peterson ran about 10,60 and 21.45 in high school.
    Apparenlty 10.33 as a junior, but likely hand timed. In that way high schoolers get timed.
    The 10.33 was definitely auto timed (state champs at UTx), but it was wind-aided (+3.2).

Comment

all these other sport athletes calling out bolt, but no other sport athletes calling out rudisha in an 800.

who here thinks peterson will get a worlds/olympics A standard, or even the standard to get in the trials.

i think there might be a few other sport athletes who can qualify for the trials, but i dont think any will actually run.

bob hayes, renaldo nehemiah and others went from track to football, but have any athletes with no track background gone from NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, soccer etc. gone to track.

and if they can beat bolt's times they would make similar if not more than they do in their main sport.

Comment

Trindon Holliday scored both a punt return and kick return in the Denver vs. Baltimore game today. Denver (the team he's playing for) lost.

Comment

Originally posted by GDAWG
          Trindon Holliday scored both a punt return and kick return in the Denver vs. Baltimore game today. Denver (the team he's playing for) lost.
          He's the first in the history of the NFL playoffs to accomplish this feat.

Comment

Originally posted by doug5321
            who here thinks peterson will get a worlds/olympics A standard, or even the standard to get in the trials....
            better question: who thinks he'll actually even try?

Given his history of injury, I imagine the Vikings would go batshit should he embark on a fierce off-season regimen of track training/competition. Wouldn't surprise me if they invoked the standard "dangerous outside activities" clause that's surely in his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              No way. Way too much work for a not-guaranteed outcome, and won't help his his real job.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                who here thinks peterson will get a worlds/olympics A standard, or even the standard to get in the trials....

Given his history of injury, I imagine the Vikings would go batshit should he embark on a fierce off-season regimen of track training/competition. Wouldn't surprise me if they invoked the standard "dangerous outside activities" clause that's surely in his contract.
                Even simpler, since Track & Field is now professional, he could get in contract trouble for "moonlighting."

Comment

Bob Hayes and Michael Bates had the right idea by pursuing their track dreams right after college and before they became professional football players. I was to young to remember how Hayes handled it, but when Bates was drafted, he had an understanding with the Seahawks that he wouldn't be reporting until after the track season was over.

Comment

bob hayes, renaldo nehemiah and others went from track to football, but have any athletes with no track background gone from NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, soccer etc. gone to track.
                    Adam Gemili: Soccer -> 100m
                    Donald Thomas: Basketball -> high jump

There was another athlete (I don't remember the name or country) from soccer who ran the 400m, and made it to the semifinal or final with less than a year of track-specific training.

Comment

Originally posted by 18.99s

There was another athlete (I don't remember the name or country) from soccer who ran the 400m, and made it to the semifinal or final with less than a year of track-specific training.
                      Marcello Fiasconaro: Soccer -> 800 WR 1:43.7 '73 (after three years of running track)

Comment

I'm not familiar with Gemili but Thomas didn't have elite basketball talent, so I wouldn't put him in the same class with folks like Hayes, Nehemiah and Peterson.

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Marcello Fiasconaro: Soccer -> 800 WR 1:43.7 '73 (after three years of running track)
                          rugby, not soccer

Comment

Also, Marquise Goodwin has chosen to go the NFL route.

Comment

Demps returning to track:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -to-track/

Comment

On the women's side, Aussie Nova Peris won an Olympic field hockey gold in 1996, switched to track, won the 200m at the 1998 Commonwealth Games, and was a semi-finalist in the 400m at Sydney Olympics and a member of the 5th placed 4x400m relay...

Comment

Working...
                                X