Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wallace Spearmon to move up to the 400?

Costas Goulas [email protected]
    "So Wallace 'Prince' Spearmon moves up to 400m, that's a move I've long waited to see! This man's got the equipment to even threaten MJ's WR!"

not sure who this man really is but on his twitter page he is friendly with all the world elites. Anyone else heard of this? interesting move if true for many reasons

my thoughts are if this is true, it says hes lost confidence in himself to compete with the jamaicans over the 200, tired of not running a PR, the us 400 scene is not as strong as its been, these could all factor in

Re: Wallace Spearmon to move up to the 400?

He's been 'threatening' this for a while (esp. last Sept after the OG). It's not a ceding of the 200 to the Jams as much as it is a realization of the situation and that the coast is clearer at 400, where his speed endurance pays better dividends (to mix metaphors). If the training goes well, I easily see him Top 3 in the USA, since we seem to be in the doldrums lately. Low-44 for sure. Sub-44? That's a wholenuther zip code.

Comment

Who is wallace spearmons coach at this moment, i know trains with doc patton, tyrone edgar, rae edwards, will he have anyone to train with him over tthe 400 training

Comment

Originally posted by LSR
        Who is wallace spearmons coach at this moment, i know trains with doc patton, tyrone edgar, rae edwards, will he have anyone to train with him over tthe 400 training
        Unless he changed coaches in the last few months that I'm not aware of, he's coached by Monte Stratton.

Comment

With the 400 filled with guys 24 and younger already in the 43.9 - 44.5 range? sorry this event is just as packed as any other.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
            With the 400 filled with guys 24 and younger already in the 43.9 - 44.5 range? sorry this event is just as packed as any other.
            If the move up to the 400 is true, maybe he (or his coach) feels that his chances of being extremely competitive with the top 2 athletes in the new event might be better than in the 200.. His chances for that elusive Olympic medal could improve significantly as well, especially in the 4x4...

He's stated in the past that he doesn't like the 400, and in a 2012 interview, when asked for a word association with "foe", his answer was "The 400 meter dash. I'm friends with everyone pretty much". In the same interview, when asked what venue he dreaded and why, his answer was "The Penn Relays track. Usually when I go that means there's a 400m involved."

His 2012 200m best of 19.90 (which isn't his PR) is still over half a second faster than the PRs of Kirani James and Luguelin Santos, and is faster than Lashawn Merritt's 200m PR too. It'll be interesting to see how things transpire...

Comment

Originally posted by Blues
              He's stated in the past that he doesn't like the 400, and in a 2012 interview, when asked for a word association with "foe", his answer was "The 400 meter dash.
              That's a psychological barrier that may be his biggest obstacle to success in the event. He's definitely got the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Blues
                His 2012 200m best of 19.90 (which isn't his PR) is still over half a second faster than the PRs of Kirani James and Luguelin Santos, and is faster than Lashawn Merritt's 200m PR too. It'll be interesting to see how things transpire...
                Pretty much Irrelevant for predicting his 400m time on the world stage.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
                  I kinda disagree. His 200 times, and especially the way he finishes races, should be highly correlated to his predicted success. If he doesn't do well, I would NOT attribute it to his 'talent', but more to his training and execution.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by ATK
                    I kinda disagree. His 200 times, and especially the way he finishes races, should be highly correlated to his predicted success. If he doesn't do well, I would NOT attribute it to his 'talent', but more to his training and execution.
                    So by that measure Bolt should be running 42s and if he does not then it is 'training and execution'?

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      So by that measure Bolt should be running 42s and if he does not then it is 'training and execution'?
                      100% absolutely yes!

Comment

100% absolutely yes!
                        Let me get this straight. Spearman isn't moving up because the Jamaicans are dominating the 200m but he is moving up because they're not dominating the 400m?

And should he fail to meet your expectations he must either be a lazy bastard who hasn't trained properly or not bright enough to run an effective race strategy? I suggest not identifying yourself should you ever want an autograph or picture!

edit: I forgot to ask for clarification that you also believe he may be a headcase (re: psychological barrier)

Comment

100% absolutely yes!
                          If anyone could run 42s it could be bolt but does he have the heart to put in that sort of work? and does he need to?

Comment

Originally posted by LSR
                            Costas Goulas [email protected]
                            "So Wallace 'Prince' Spearmon moves up to 400m, that's a move I've long waited to see! This man's got the equipment to even threaten MJ's WR!"

not sure who this man really is but on his twitter page he is friendly with all the world elites. Anyone else heard of this? interesting move if true for many reasons

my thoughts are if this is true, it says hes lost confidence in himself to compete with the jamaicans over the 200, tired of not running a PR, the us 400 scene is not as strong as its been, these could all factor in
                            He's a track stan, who's been banned from every forum being disruptive but he knows his stuff

If it's true it's a great move for Wallace, apart from Kirani the events wide open right now.
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

This is his tweet from August that was mentioned in various places in the media at the time as evidence of his desire to move up to the 400, as Marlow previously mentioned:

"I'm going to go ahead & say that was my last 200 of the season my body is tired. It was a good year. Next year, I'm going in 200 & 400!" he said on his twitter.

I tend to agree with Marlow that Wally's speed and long sprint endurance seems to suggest that he could excel in the 400 if he dedicated himself to achieving that goal.. Up to this point he hasn't possessed as much of the overall muscularity and the related explosiveness in the shorter sprints that Bolt and Blake have, that seem to now be a necessity for shorter sprint dominance... I also think it's a fair assumption that many of us probably feel that Bolt could be the best 400m runner in the world if he decided that's what he wanted to do, as long as he was willing to make the required sacrifices in training. Obviously Bolt hasn't dedicated himself to being the best he can be in the 400 since some time before 2008, when the significant improvements in his physique and in his already impressive ability wowed the world, so heaven only knows what type of monstrosity he's capable of producing in the 4 if he ever decides to focus on it. JMO

Comment

Working...
                              X