• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eldanielfire
    replied
    Re: Sports Science to determine the real greatest athete eve

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Daisy
    For what it's worth, here is a summary of their measurements and conclusions.
    • The researchers compared ten international level Kenyan runners to 10 non-trained white males, matching them for height.
    That ain't worth squat! Proves nothing. Of course elite TRAINED runners are more athletic than non-trained 'random' people! DUH!

this si the type of rubbish I don't understand, why would somebody investigating something academically make such a useless study it can't possibly elimanate some straight forward and obvious variables. The only genuine conclusion we can draw is trained athletes are more elastic advantages than those who aren't. It's also quite a small sample as well to draw anything genuine. I sometimes find some Psychologists, geneticists and sports scientists a tad race obsessed (despite the fcat you can't really have genuine scientific criteria) and that infulences their work and conclusions, they are so keen to look a differences in race they introduce flaws and extra variables to try and get results that highlight the differences while actually making their work fairly worthless.

I think Psychologists are the worst, a Guardian article a few months ago pointed out at how litter peer reviewed studies are ever able to be repeated with similar results and the number of top psychologists who have been caught fabricating results or have obviously fabricated studies is ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Re: on Kenyan "elasticity" [split]

Originally posted by 18.99s
    Wait a minute ... no comparisons to non-athletic Kenyan males, nor athletic white males? Are they serious? And this crap gets published in a real journal, not just some random blog or The Onion? :roll:
    ...and measuring a non-definable/non-existent parameter "elasticity." :roll: :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• 18.99s
    replied
    Re: on Kenyan "elasticity" [split]

Wait a minute ... no comparisons to non-athletic Kenyan males, nor athletic white males? Are they serious? And this crap gets published in a real journal, not just some random blog or The Onion? :roll:

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

In other words, confirmation biases are rampant.
    or, the Scientific Method gone horribly awry!
    They are almost mutually inclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

or, the Scientific Method gone horribly awry!

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Having spent time in graduate programs in a hard science like mathematics and a looser one like education, this reminds me of a lot of research I encountered in the latter. One comes up with a research topic. Then find some evidence that supports it, ignore everything else and voila a Paper to be published. The real problem with fields like sports science is even researchers who do creative and rigorous stuff -- that is, the best of them -- still seem to regularly come to conclusions that they started out with. Even if they are absurd to begin with such as women marathoners eventually running faster than men.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

another pseudo-science outfit that keeps foisting fundamentally bad science
    I think you'll find that all these flawed studies are independent.

It is possible there are a few groups that are notorious for flawed studies. I'm not really familiar with these journals, or the research groups in this field, so it is hard to say.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Who is the their in 'their studies' you refer to? ESPN?
    I haff no effin idea. But yes, the show, SportsScience, is a figment of ESPN's fervid brain.

[plus I may be conflating another pseudo-science outfit that keeps foisting fundamentally bad science on the sporting public, not unlike the 'women's marathon WR will surpass the men's by 2060!.']

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Who is the their in 'their studies' you refer to? ESPN?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

There are more? :roll: Maybe they 'pay off' their reviewers?
    Start on page 1 of this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

but the controls and conclusions are completely flawed.
    which is true of ALL their 'studies' so far.
    There are more? :roll: Maybe they 'pay off' their reviewers?

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

but the controls and conclusions are completely flawed.
    which is true of ALL their 'studies' so far.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

As Tucker points out, Rupp and Solinksky will probably have elastic calves too. It's hard to imagine how this stuff gets through peer review. Obviously the experiment is interesting, but the controls and conclusions are completely flawed.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

For what it's worth, here is a summary of their measurements and conclusions.
    • The researchers compared ten international level Kenyan runners to 10 non-trained white males, matching them for height.
    That ain't worth squat! Proves nothing. Of course elite TRAINED runners are more athletic than non-trained 'random' people! DUH!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X