Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cain's running form [split]

the cain article in the recent t&fnews has salazar talking about her bad armswing from barcelona being the technical factor she needed to correct

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bizYesRYzN4

video shows what he was talking about

Re: mary cain at indoor nationals in NM

Originally posted by az2004
    salazar talking about her bad armswing
    Pot, calling kettle - come in kettle?

Salazar's gait was one of the more unseemly of his time and it seemed to have worked OK. Yes, her biomechanics leave something to be desired, but tinker with her form at your peril!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Salazar's gait was one of the more unseemly of his time and it seemed to have worked OK. Yes, her biomechanics leave something to be desired, but tinker with her form at your peril!
      I think he is on record as saying his biomechanics cost him.

Comment

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=6588

salazar video on running form

at the 3 minute mark, i think there;s the basic problem he saw in cain in the 4:11 race

i'd think henwood, day to day is more responsible for smoothing out cain than anyone

salazar was ragged in his day, but making cain more flexible will help her

the 60 from 50 miles per week is not a huge leap

Comment

the cain article in the recent t&fnews has salazar talking about her bad armswing from barcelona being the technical factor she needed to correct

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bizYesRYzN4

video shows what he was talking about
          I would say......
          Tara Erdmann in Seattle
          Heather Wilson in NYC (the 1st HSR in the mile)
          Erdmann AGAIN in Boston
          Sarah Bowman in Boston
          Ashley Higginson in Boston
          Bowman AGAIN in the Armory (the SECOND HSR in the mile)
          Jordan Hasay in the Armory
          Abbey D'Agostino in the Armory
          Emma Coburn in the Armory
          AND a few OTHERS......

might tend to disagree with that assessment!!

A FACT:

The only women she has NOT beaten this indoor season are:

Sarah Bowman and Nicole Sifuentes in the 1st HSR mile.....
          Sheila Reid in the 2 mile and the 2nd HSR in the mile.....
          and the UNbeatable Tirunesh Dibaba!!!

She has beaten EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Comment

i though cain beat bowman at millrose??

did you read the t&f newws article

the 4:11 you can see waht salazar was talking about

the cross crooss of the arms is evident in 2011

salazar and henwood have worked on upper body flexibity

the criss cross is gone

aronnk you know i like cain alot, but the article poinyed out what a good coach can do

henwood and salazar have good eyes

also the mention of her running in college, dont know if it'll be the ajee model, or the hasay model

Comment

i though cain beat bowman at millrose??

did you read the t&f newws article

the 4:11 you can see waht salazar was talking about

the cross crooss of the arms is evident in 2011

salazar and henwood have worked on upper body flexibity

the criss cross is gone

aronnk you know i like cain alot, but the article poinyed out what a good coach can do

henwood and salazar have good eyes

also the mention of her running in college, dont know if it'll be the ajee model, or the hasay model
              Yes, she beat Bowman at Millrose!!
              (All but Reid!!)
              My list was of women she BEAT.....those who LOST to her (in a particular race!).
              She LOST to Bowman in her first HSR mile, but BEAT her at Millrose!!

As to her arm swing, it might be "improved", but I side with Marlow.....

Don't mess with what works!!

Comment

Originally posted by aaronk
                As to her arm swing, it might be "improved", but I side with Marlow.....

Don't mess with what works!!
                Isn't that the point of the conversation (and of all coaching)? They're attempting to "mess" with a part that is sub-optimal (i.e., that doesn't "work").

Comment

Salazar is not trying to have Mary Cain beat Sarah Bowman.

Comment

i respect marlowe, but salazar was very specific

salazar did say ehr footstrike and and loweer body mechanics are quite ggood

there was a mention of personality conflicts with her hs team

salazar saw the video and contacted cain abouther upper body mechanics

her arms were crossing her upper body completely
                    and mixing it up

her elbows were way way out

at hs she'd always lead from the start, but salazar has her let others lead, staying calm and staying relaxed

focusing on the kick and honing that skill

salazar and henwood focusing on nut;s and bolts of biomechanics, intervals and stretching

apparently this is the same stuff salazar did for rupp at jesuit

it's all about making you a complete runner 10 years down the stretch

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra5
                      Salazar is not trying to have Mary Cain beat Sarah Bowman.

he is looking into cain future and making her the best runner she may be, one day running the sort of race farah and rupp have shown themseles able to run

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        Originally posted by Marlow

I think he is on record as saying his biomechanics cost him.
                        Yes, he has observed that about himself, as he has about his approaches to training, which both led him to great performances and also cost him. I think if the Salazar of today could coach the Salazar of 30ish years ago, he would try to address some of these issues (and would, I believe, have an even faster Salazar). (I will keep working on my time machine and the needed metaphysical theories to make this scenario feasible...)

Here's a more general question, for Marlow -- One thing I have never understood in T& F coaching is what you expressed here. I've heard it from so many over the years, always regarding distance runners: Don't mess with their form. But we work on technique, mechanics, efficiency, and every darn thing we can reasonably address, with every other discipline in the sport. Why not with distance runners? The challenge is the same here as with any coach in any part of the sport: There is always risk ("tinkering at our peril") in addressing the "natural" ways any gifted athlete executes her or his event, but great coaches know what to address, to what extent, in order to make those marginal improvements toward maximizing potential. Less than great coaches misdiagnose, overcorrect, etc. and screw things up. That's the territory of coaching. Nevertheless, Why have I always heard more "peril" expressed around addressing these things with distance runners than with anyone else in the sport? The fact that distance running is "less technical" can't be the answer, because technique, mechanics, efficiency always matters. We're always trying to find the best transfer of energy into forward motion, etc. I am interested in your thoughts on this.

Comment

Her head is also way out in front of her body. I have a lesser version of this and it caused me problems. That is a lot of weight to have cantilevered in front of her.

Comment

Back in the mid-70's, when my hair was BELOW my shoulders....and THICK......I was told by San Francisco's late Walter Stack (Remember him, anyone??) that.....if I cut my hair, I could chop a minute per mile off my marathon time!!! :lol: :lol:

More seriously, I was told by a coach (Not MY coach, but one I knew well!) that I "bounced too much" when I ran....and that I could improve my times greatly if I could stop bouncing!!

Comment

the salazar video on running form speaks on head placement

suspect henwood and salazar have long term plans for cain

seems there short term approach has results

Comment

Working...
                              X