Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ¶NCAA m60: 6.54 for Cherry

The Top two Fl st guys coming in false start. both out of lane 2...

Re: NCAA m60

I'm LOVIN' the false start rule. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Dutra5
      One and done has been in college forever

Comment

Originally posted by ATK
        One and done has been in college forever
        Thanks for the bulletin

Comment

That "average sports fan" the sport is supposedly trying to attract must love the one-false-start rule. Sort of like having Labron James foul out with one foul.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
            That "average sports fan" the sport is supposedly trying to attract must love the one-false-start rule. Sort of like having Labron James foul out with one foul.
            In football, they do not get a do-over the first time when a lineman moves... or a defensive player jumps the neutral zone, and if occurs on those occasions where you just made a field goal or touchdown (offense) or the team held on third down (or fourth!) but now get a first down, it is also a big deal.

Comment

One variation on the false start rule used in the 19th century was a distance penalty. I think a 1-meter penalty for a false start would be very interesting (but will never happen).

If Cherry wins this, the week after winning the USATF indoor 60, then we have a tough trivia question: last to win USA indoors and NCAA indoors in the same event in the same year?

Comment

Kevin Hicks in 2005 -- 800

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                  One variation on the false start rule used in the 19th century was a distance penalty. I think a 1-meter penalty for a false start would be very interesting (but will never happen).
                  Hmmm... this is actually a really interesting concept to ponder.

For example, I wonder if, if this rule were to somehow actually be put into place (and as you've already said, it obviously won't), but just hypothetically, if it were, I wonder if they would also set up an invisible "virtual" finish line 1m, and 2m, and 3m etc back from the finish line, so they could freezeframe evaluate what the "100m" time of the offenders would've basically been if they hadn't false started. Like, as far as the official results, of who gets to go up on the medal stand etc, it's who crosses the real actual finish line first, so if you ran the fastest actual 100m, but started a meter back cuz of a false start and thus only finished 4th against the actual finish line, then you only get awarded 4th place on your official placement results, but they still put in parentheses after your full-run time what your 100m split time was, just for stat-nerd's sake like: John Doe, Paris 100m Final: Official time (with 1m penalty in place): 10.03 (DQ'd 100m split time: 9.94). Or something like that. 8-)

Comment

add .05- .1 to the offending runner's time might be a way to handle this. That is comparable to a 5yard penalty in football.

Comment

A one meter penalty for a false start is an interesting idea but you would have to forget about it for the hurdles.

Comment

One variation on the false start rule used in the 19th century was a distance penalty. I think a 1-meter penalty for a false start would be very interesting (but will never happen).....
                        Will never happen for two reasons: first, prime motivation for going to the rule is to speed up the flow of meets. Having to reset blocks would be actually worse than allowing multiple breaks.

Second, if you think starters sometimes miss fliers now, when everybody is in a line, wait until people are staggered and the frame of reference is gone.

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          One variation on the false start rule used in the 19th century was a distance penalty. I think a 1-meter penalty for a false start would be very interesting (but will never happen).....
                          Will never happen for two reasons: first, prime motivation for going to the rule is to speed up the flow of meets. Having to reset blocks would be actually worse than allowing multiple breaks.

Second, if you think starters sometimes miss fliers now, when everybody is in a line, wait until people are staggered and the frame of reference is gone.

No thanks.
                          If the aim is to speed the meet up they should never call them back to the line. Just run the race and then DQ after the fact. Of course this would lead to situations in which the first guy across the line is not the actual winner but the meet would move along.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

No thanks.
                            If the aim is to speed the meet up they should never call them back to the line. Just run the race and then DQ after the fact. Of course this would lead to situations in which the first guy across the line is not the actual winner but the meet would move along.

No, you cannot run the race that way because the jump by a runner affects the other runners. You could have a teammate jump like that to mess up your competition.

Comment

1 D'Angelo Cherry SR Miss State 6.54 10
                              2 Marcus Rowland SR Auburn 6.55 8
                              3 Charles Silmon SR TCU 6.61 6 6.601
                              4 Harry Adams SR Auburn 6.61 5 6.608
                              5 Markesh Woodson FR Missouri 6.66 4
                              6 Bryce Robinson FR Tulsa 6.69 3
                              7 Tevin Hester FR Clemson 6.70 2
                              -- Darrell Wesh JR Virginia Tech FS

Comment

Working...